Previous topic - Next topic

Max Headroom

The following stories are featured in Slaine volume 6:

The Grail War
Secret of the Grail
Lord of the Beasts
Kai
The Banishing

This should leave four stories finishing with 'The Secret Commonwealth' for volume 7 (and that's where I stop buying, as I have everything subsequently in hardback).

Jade Falcon

Anyone else here get theirs ordered through a newsagents?

My Slaine wasn't in, and no other newsagents seems to have them. Granted, it's Slaine, not my favourite, but still.
When the truth offends, we lie and lie until we can no longer remember it is even there, but it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid. That is how an RBMK reactor core explodes. Lies. - Valery Legasov

JSayonara

Got a reply on Facebook about the misaligned spine.
Because I'm not a subscriber,I have to take it back to the newsagent.

When questioned if there were ANY that weren't screwed up, no reply.

A far cry from the Dredd collection when they offered a replacement, even though I wasn't a subscriber.

Between this and the shitty, badly cut internal pages in every third book, I'm beginning to wish I hadn't bothered.
£800 all-in, for this level of quality control?

Be the last partwork I ever collect.☹️

Fungus

They are cheap books and with that cheapness comes a certain amount of corner-cutting and lack of quality control...?

athorist

Has anyone tried changing the delivery address, how much hassle is it? Not sure if I'll bother, when I've already got a postal redirect set up
You need light here even in the morning
Compared to this St Petersburg was nothing

The Fall - No Bulbs

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Fungus on 13 September, 2019, 02:21:00 AMThey are cheap books and with that cheapness comes a certain amount of corner-cutting and lack of quality control...?
It's absurd, though, because cutting QC results in big costs. They've got away with some (note how the notion of replacing issues with screwed up end-papers just vanished into the ether), but when your primarily differentiator and hook for selling this volumes is "collect amazing spine art", you can't get away with that. Reprinting an entire issue due to a screw-up that would have taken a few minutes of checks to spot just seems astonishing. But then that's this company all over. These are the people who save a few pennies on packaging, and then have to replace 50 quid's worth of books.

Tomwe

I sent pics of the book to FP where I got it and I think they checked their stock - are doing a swap for a better one. I assume most peeps won't have an issue with their copy. And on top of that the facebook page seems to be saying they're gonna send me a corrected one though at no point did they ask for my ex-subscriber number nor my address, so I am pursuing the FP angle for now.

levers

My copy of the latest Dante arrived via post yesterday. This time shipped by Whistl. Twelve days from point of order from Hachette which is an improvement of the month it took for my last order to arrive via Hermes.

The latest Slaine book actually appeared in my local WHSmith yesterday. Gave it a miss though...

Fungus

Quote from: Fungus on 13 September, 2019, 02:21:00 AM
They are cheap books and with that cheapness comes a certain amount of corner-cutting and lack of quality control...?

That'll learn me. Next day I started reading Tour of Duty: Mega-City Justice (so arguably the wrong thread) and it's fantastic. Except reaching the last page of an Al Ewing tale to find the page ripped. This isn't a printing error, but a physical tearing of the page. Eh? Corner 'cutting'.

Possibly my favourite Hachette volume (vandalism aside). Al Ewing rules.

IndigoPrime

I had a volume with a sliced page too – one of the Strontium Dog ones. These things happen. Hard to blame that on Hachette. See if they have a replacement in stock, I guess.

JSayonara

£10 is not THAT cheap either.
A standard DC hardback runs about £13 to £15 these days.
And Absolute editions that are slipcased and huge are generally around £40 on Amazon.

I picked up a couple of volumes of Zenith in hardback for around £8 new too.

And I can live with page cuts and internal misprints but to miss an obviously wrongly printed front cover smacks of "f**k it, let's just hope nobody bothers returning"

leethomson

DC's Absolute Editions are very far from being the paragon of hardback QA - their binding in particular is atrocious. In fact, graphic novels of all formats, from all publishers, often have spectacularly crappy binding. But I take the point!

Jade Falcon

For a high quality graphic novel, the Don Lawrence collection of the Yrigan Empire is an example. They cost then about £35 for each volume, and cost far more on the second hand market now. Saying that, there is a reprint coming out soon, but I don't know if they are equal quality.
When the truth offends, we lie and lie until we can no longer remember it is even there, but it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid. That is how an RBMK reactor core explodes. Lies. - Valery Legasov

Tomwe

I read the latest Dante book over the last few days.
My god the work of John Burns in this collection is staggering. An absolute master!
The story flowed better for me than the early arcs as well. And there's still four more to come??! Amazing.
I'm glad to see Fraser & Burns continue to divvy up the art duties for the rest of the run. Next one in January!

Rara Avis

I got sick of getting nowhere on Facebook with them and being crazy behind on my issues so I called their customer service. They told me that because the issues I was missing were returned they had put my sub on hold (which no one ever communicated to me) which would explain why they weren't taking any payments. Anyway I had to pay €180 to bring my sub completely up to date and I should receive issues 45 to 56 (I think). What extras have been dispatched with these issues? I am a premium sub (not that that seems to mean a lot to anyone) so I don't want to miss out on anything. Also is 47 (?) the only issue with the misaligned spine? It's becoming a full time job trying to keep on top of this. Oh how naive was I to think that I'd just pay my fee and get my books ...