Main Menu

Future Shock Submissions - Response Times

Started by BrandonBarrows, 15 December, 2012, 08:14:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goobdroog

Hey guys, sorry to go off topic slightly, but didn't think my question deserved a whole new thread. Anyways...

I've just written my first Future Shocks submission. I was all ready to send it off when I reread the submission guidelines. The script must have a stamped self-addressed envelope included with it. Which is fine except that I live in Dublin and, believe it or not, it's incredibly difficult to get Royal Mail stamps over here anymore. I rang up An Post (the Irish mail service) and they said these days it's only possible to buy British stamps in bulk in the Republic of Ireland (minimum 100 or something) - mostly for businesses. Needless to say, I can't be doing that. I also am relunctant to wait around on the off-chance a family member or friend will be travelling to the UK and can pick up one up for me - God knows when that will be.

The only thing I can think of is to include a postal order for the price of a stamp in with my submission. But would the staff be bothered cashing something for less than one pound? Would they be willing to use one of their own stamps for the likes of me? Would it discourage them from returning it to me with feedback? Aaargh! The dilemma... :D

I contacted 2000AD via the website about this problem but they've yet to get back to me. Does anyone here have any ideas? I would be very grateful. Thanks in advance.

P.S. Sorry to be so long-winded. My actual FS script is the very model of brevity  :lol:

Goobdroog

Oh, I forgot to say - my first post! Go me!  :D

Actually, my second... ;)

CLOUDMAN

I think in cases like that some publishers (like Dark Horse) say you can include the cost of the stamp and they'll sort you out.

Otherwise if you can hold off for a month I'm heading to Leeds for Thought Bubble, I can get one for ya there and post it when I get back cos I'm based in Kildare myself!

Goobdroog

QuoteOtherwise if you can hold off for a month I'm heading to Leeds for Thought Bubble, I can get one for ya there and post it when I get back cos I'm based in Kildare myself!

Aw man, you're a total legend! Thanks very much for the offer - but a friend of the missus will be heading up to Northern Ireland next week and said he'd pick me up a few stamps there. So it's all good. Cheers all the same, really appreciate it.

Enjoy yourself in Leeds!  :D

RPizzleforth

With a litany of false starts, half-baked characters and truly terrible twists already behind me, I have decided to give in to the irresistible lure of an audience with the mighty Tharg and submit my first Futureshock.

I expect nothing less than the complete annihilation of my ego and, if I'm lucky, a rather natty rejection letter.

So ends my debut post. Hooray for me. Finally, and somewhat inevitably, hello.

Onward!

NorthVox

Just received a rejection for a script from about 5 months ago. Usually have to wait longer for my annual kick to the balls! :lol:

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: NorthVox on 07 November, 2013, 11:21:41 PM
Just received a rejection for a script from about 5 months ago. Usually have to wait longer for my annual kick to the balls! :lol:

Have you read prog 1856's damage report?
@jamesfeistdraws

NorthVox

Cyber-Matt

Ha! And you want to work for a comic you don't actually read anymore? There's commitment for you.

Jim_Campbell

Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Daveycandlish

An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

Bolt-01

Heh, and a note to the rest- this board is read and monitored by TMO and his fleshy avatar...

(Or maybe TMO asked why Molch-R was laughing so hard)

Jim_Campbell

Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Dark Jimbo

Hmm. If nothing else it does beg the question - how do you know what sort of stuff they're looking for these days...?
@jamesfeistdraws

NorthVox

Ha! Put my foot on it there! I've always been more of a meg guy, used to be a be a big weekly reader, but these days it's usually a treat if money will allow for it. I've been keeping up to date and such, just not as much as I'd like unfortunately.  :(