Main Menu

Justice Department funding

Started by abelardsnazz, 28 November, 2017, 12:24:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

I'm not sure I see the distinction.  The employer of a human is frequently taxed directly for employing a human (Employer's Contribution), the owner of a robot could be likewise. Equally the nett wage of a human PAYE employee is what they actually earn, but the gross wage is what  the employer has to pay to attract and retain them: just like the robot, it's the employer who actually pays, but the human that is 'taxed'. 

As it stands, robot use incurs none of that, and Depreciation actually means that the initial cost of robots could be set against tax liabilities, rather than incurring more, as with humans.  Attaching a tax to robots that balances the playing field, and maintains state revenues, seems like a win-win.

The Legendary Shark

The employer of a human pays the human a wage, which can be taxed. The employer of a robot does not pay it a wage, so the robot cannot pay tax.

Taxes can be paid on the robot by its owner/operator but not by the robot itself. (To compare, car tax is not paid by the car but by the car's owner.)

This is a very weird discussion - I bet there are similar ones around water coolers and kettles in tax offices all over the world!

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Dash Decent

Quote from: Fungus on 01 December, 2017, 03:47:24 PM
Also, just to say... I love the premise of this thread  :D  Funding?!
Next we're going to discuss how Batman manages to register the Batmobile as roadworthy while maintaining his secret identity.
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

The Legendary Shark

And does he pay council tax on the Batcave?

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

abelardsnazz

Quote from: Molch-R on 29 November, 2017, 04:27:36 PM
Just passing by, but I did look at this issue somewhat in The Chief Judge's Man volume of the Mega Collection, citing the work of Sheldon Wolin on 'Inverted Totalitarianism' https://www.amazon.co.uk/Democracy-Incorporated-Managed-Inverted-Totalitarianism/dp/069114589X

Thanks Molch-R, I'll go and have another read of that.

Mardroid

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 02 December, 2017, 06:39:25 AM
And does he pay council tax on the Batcave?

If it does, I reckon it all comes under Wayne Manor (or whatever his mansion and attached buildings are called) holdings and is part of the tax on that.

Then again the cave would be secret, so... maybe not. What's unknown, doesn't exist, on paper, right? Hmmm.

And why am I answering a question that was asked in jest.  :lol:

norton canes

Surely the amount the Justice Department has to pay for kit, uniforms, training etc. is dwarfed by the massive amounts of capital it must have to sink into the SJS's vast battle fleet.