Main Menu

How to make inking enjoyable...?

Started by uncle fester, 15 May, 2009, 11:28:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

uncle fester

Cool. What's the brand, or is it just a certain gsm?

Peter Wolf

Quote from: "uncle fester"Cool. What's the brand, or is it just a certain gsm?

Now thats what i am not sure about as last time i went to the art shop they had run out until the next delivery.When i go back on Saturday i will ask what it is if they have any new stock.

I dont know what the weight of it is but its 2 mil thick with a cardboard core as the 2 sides are like a laminate.I think i am certain that this is the same material that some of the original 2000ad artists drew and inked on.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: "uncle fester"Jim, I do use digital for some inking and all colours. I'd heard of Managa Studio as I think Dave Gibbons did a video on it on imaginefx, but I didn't realise it was that cheap - where did you get it? I'll look for that book too.

I have to admit it was Gibbons' video that piqued my interest.

As for buying Manga Studio - I got my copy as a direct download purchased from the company that makes the software:  Smith Micro.

As I said, I have no idea what features are omitted from the the "Debut" version that you get in the "EX" version, but the inking tools were all I was interested in, and they seem to work just fine. I like the idea that you can work on multi-page documents as well, although I'm thinking more of a sketchbook than a continuous story as they suggest in the software's manual.

Hope that helps!

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Peter Wolf

None in the shop again.

Disappointing.

I might have to take a sample of it into the shop to find out more or order some of it but its a problem because i am running out of it.

its so difficult to get what you want sometimes.

Peter Wolf

Success !!

:D

http://www.cowlingandwilcox.com/detail. ... uctid=8495

I havent tried this yet but it seems like the solution to the problem.

Peter Wolf

Since found out that its called Ivory board.

Dog Deever

My pencil work is extremely loose (probably too much so). I like inking, but I'm not very confident (or good) at it. I don't put too much stock in 'the right' tools as I believe in 'horses for courses' etc. I also think it's a poor workperson that blames their tools. That said- obviously, there's a basic minimum standard needed, but beyond that I reckon you've just got to find the pens/ brushes, papers and software that work for you.

I too use a light box- like Radiator, I'm far too heavy handed with the pencils for anything else. I'm also very messy with them- I've tried everything I can think of to change this but it doesn't seem to make much difference and in the long run I think I just have to accept that's how it is and deal with it however I can.

I've exclusively used brushes in the past, though recently I've exclusively used pens. I think I'm gravitating towards a mix of both. Typical- find the most awkward way to do something and that's how I'll end up doing it!
Just a little rough and tumble, Judge man.

Peter Wolf

Make inking enjoyable by buying a Pentel brush Pen.

Its easier to control than a brush and it doesnt clog up with ink which means you dont have to keep rinsing it in water plus you dont have to keep dipping it in the inkwell.

This just makes inking so much easier and means you can get more done with less effort.Its not worth using one of these to black in large areas as these pens use replaceable cartidges .I havent tried refilling a cartidge yet instead of replacing it.

Well worth 12 quid.

Kerrin

You can get one on Amazon for £8.50 inclusive of postage. Here's the link.

Peter Wolf

Beware of the ink that the cartridges for these pens contain.Its fine on paper as paper absorbs but i use Ivory board .As the board doesnt absorb ink i have found that the ink stays slightly sticky and is easily smudged.

To get over this problem i refilled a cartridge myself with Indian Ink which drys in seconds and doesnt smudge.Plus its far more economical

End of problem.

HdE

Wow - what an  excellent, excellent thread! I'll be grabbing one of those brush pens tout suite!

I have to say, I seem to fit into the category of 'abnormal artists' in taht I really enjoy inking. Partly it's because I take an absolute age over pencilling stuff, but I usually mage the inks really quickly. I tend to pin a couple of pages on my drawing board at a time and skip around them inking different parts as a I go.

I generally stick some Rush, Yes or Auf Der Maur in my stereo, brew up a hot, sweet coffee, stick on the headphones and then let the ink flow.

I think confidence is the biggest problem with inking - Quite often I'll sit down to ink something and I'll find all the longer pencil lines very intimidating. I generally start with smaller strokes and after a while, when I've warmed up, I'll tackle the larger strokes. I make sure I always have a correction pen handy, just in case. If I mess up really big style, then there's always the option of tweaking in Photoshop. I try to bear things like that in mind all the time, as it quashes any time spent agonizing over what to do with any given detail. It's all about keeping it speedy.
Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/

Bolt-01

I'm a Pen 'bot when it comes to inking, but I have to admit that I do not regret AT ALL buying a pentel brush pen. A fantastic little piece of kit.

pauljholden

I've lately really changed my process, here it is:

1) Pencil the page - this is usually pretty loose (in the case of Happy Valley, it's really loose - nothing more than outlines of things - almost no rendering, and no blacks are spotted)

2) Scan the page in (using my lvoely, lovely A3 Scanner/Printer combo).

3) Fiddle with the pencils, moving things around, shrinking bits, enlarging bits, etc.

4) Convert the b&w pencils to blueline, draw panel borders over the artwork in black (in photoshop)

5) Print the page (using the above mentioned printer/scanner combo)

6) Ink - using a brush and black india ink - I will not dirty my hands with markers - they ruin your artwork - blueshifting all over the place, plus the lack of water proofness is another reason to avoid.

7) Scan the final inks

Can you guess the steps I've missed out? Rubbing out - I hardly rub anything out, even at the pencils stage - usually I rub out to correct things, now I tend to just keep pencilling and correct anything I need to in photoshop.

-pj

HdE

Say, I got a question - who uses what as far as pens are concerned?

Up till now, I've done all of my inking with disposable pilot drawing pens (I use about 3 different weights) and this has given me some great results. It also gives me some scrappy edges to my line art, which I kinda like.

Just wondered if anybody could give me a persuasive reason to go over to using a proper tech pen. I've owned a Rotring before, but didn't get on with it.
Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/

Peter Wolf

How to make inking enjoyable:

I have started a competition entry .This involved inking a background of outer space .

This involved doing what is known as pontilling which is a multitude of tiny dots that create an effect.for some of this i used indian ink and a brush and in other areas i used a pen.The surface i am inking onto is ivory board which is non absorbant so the ink dries by hardening rather than soaking into the surface i am drawing onto.

The only problem is the inking i did last night has not dried and i just smudged it so this piece of art is now irretrievably Fucked.

WTF is it with ink that is in pens that takes so long to dry ?

Useless shit.I use indian ink and it dries almost instantaniously.

Is it too much to ask to expect pen ink to have dried 12 hrs after it was applied to the surface of the board ?

This is also exactly the problem i have found with the ink in a Pentel brush Pen as well so its not much use to me at all.

None of these pens had warnings on them from the manufacturers about this problem and none of these pens have this pen contains non drying ink on them either.

Have any other artists ever had this problem with ink ?

So all in all i find that pens dont make inking enjoyable and i am not expressing just how angry i am right now about this problem.