Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keef Monkey

That movie had a pretty intense effect on me as a kid too. I wasn't born when it came out so must have seen it on video, but I remember the ending sticking with me for years (I even get chills thinking about it now). Think it's because I was probably too young to have really thought about [spoiler]where you go when you die, and I took the ending to be a heaven/hell scenario and there was something really disturbing about it to me because I hadn't really visualized hell at that point.[/spoiler]

For a Disney film it's definitely pretty harrowing for a youngster!

Can't remember much else about it to be honest so it might be worth a re-watch.

SquashedFly

I watched Predator 2 finally earlier today. It's been a long time since I have seen it.

I enjoyed it alot. Much better than Predators at least, and..well at least it wasn't set in fucking Antarctica. I really like the way it is shot, and it's attempts at fleshing out the actual Predator.

Emp

Excalibur.....brilliant flick.....even with the tractor going over the hills in the distance.

TordelBack

For some work-avoidance reason I watched The Butterfly Effect the other night, which I had previously studiously avoided, understanding it to star Ashton Kutcher, and taking it to be a college rom-com with added time travel 'hilarity'.  Other than the Kutcher thing I was way out.  It's a relentlessly downbeat but rather involving Quantum Leap affair.  Kutcher still irritates the crap out of me (although I suspect he's meant to here), and the premise was far from original, but I confess to being gripped from quite early on, particularly from the point where the unlikeable protaganist has successfully faced down a couple of serious problems, only to create other far more intractable ones.  Surprisingly good stuff.

M.I.K.

The bit with the fake stigmata scars made no sense.

TordelBack

Quote from: M.I.K. on 19 February, 2011, 08:18:00 PM
The bit with the fake stigmata scars made no sense.

Thought that too, but it was never very clear how the whole thing worked - in the same way that the former GF sort-of recognised him in the final scene (beyond having met him at a party when she was 6), and that he appeared to have carried the same number of brain-damage episodes between 'lives', I think there's some wiggle room in how 'impermeable' the timelines actually are: possibly by involving the cellmate so closely, there was a gap in readjustment to the new 'reality'.  Or something.

Jared Katooie

If you enjoyed The Butterfly Effect, I suggest you check out the Director's Cut ending; which is very, very different from the ending shown in cinemas/on TV.

The "real" ending makes a lot more sense, and is much more original, but bizarrely I actually preferred the one the producers insisted on. Probably because I saw that ending first.

Kerrin

Actually got round to watching a couple of DVDs that have been collecting dust on the coffee table last night. First up was 'The Social Network' which was excellent. Superb performances all round with Timberlake particularly good as the chief douchebag. Next up was 'Black Dynamite'. I was in absolute stitches. Not really a spoof of 70s Blacksploitation movies but a loving homage. Hugely quotable and well worth a watch if you haven't already.

Richmond Clements

Yesterday we watched True Grit in the cinema, then got Chinese food and came home and watched Inception on dvd- both were astoundingly good.

El Chivo

Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World
Pretty cool!

Chi

I, Cosh

Went to a screening of Silent Running last night with a live musical accompaniment. The whole experience was a bit of let down. The screens were neither big nor bright enough for the size of the hall (a major problem during the long outside shots of the ships) and the music, enojoyable as much of it was, often overpowered the film, particularly when they were playing over some of the dialogue.

On the bright side, I do have a more positive impression of the film now. The only time I'd seen it before was watching it on telly with my dad when I was about ten when I had concluded it was boring rubbish with stupid robots regardless of the moral rectitude. Rewatching now, Bruce Dern gets a handful of great scenes in it. I still hate the stupid robots though.
We never really die.

TordelBack

Quote from: The Cosh on 20 February, 2011, 06:17:26 PM
I still hate the stupid robots though.

That soul of yours must be a small, dark affair indeed. 

Emp

RED.

Thoroughly enjoyable brain in neutral sort of flick.

Plus I was surprised to see Ernest Borgnine in it, I thought he'd died years ago!

DrJomster

Saw "Confessions" in the cinema today. A Japanese film about revenge set in a secondary school. It made me realise how glad I am not to have gone to school in Japan!  Japanese school kids are scarily good at bullying, not to mention scarily into extreme acts in a bid to find some sort of meaning or status in the grind of life.  :o

They unnecessarily blew a wedge of budget on some sfx near the end for some reason too.

The film's good but up against some stiff competition at the moment and so gets the prize for Third Best recent film after King's Speech and Black Swan.
The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.

JOE SOAP