Main Menu

Y'know what really grinds my gears?

Started by Link Prime, 12 April, 2014, 01:47:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

Learning to swim is important, and definitely has a place on the curriculum, but adding to someone's dislike of the water by forcing them into it as part of a school situation certainly isn't going to get the job done.  I don't know what it's like in your part of the world, but here there are classes specifically targeting kids like your daughter, with simple splashy fun in a very shallow pool that builds confidence gradually and imperceptibly. Upsetting and potentially humiliating them to no good end... well, no parent gives permission for that, explicitly or implicitly.

Grugz

yep, that's why she goes in with her cousin whos 3 to help her gain some comfidence.  I remember the sadist who tried to teach me and used to push us under the water with no warning with a wooden pole...so I take a dim view about teachers thinking they get carte blanch to treat my child as rhye want...I'm probably going to get dirtier looks from the head after tomorrow if that's possible  :lol:
don't get into an argument with an idiot,he'll drag you down to his level then win with experience!

http://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php/topic,26167.0.html

radiator

You know what grinds my gears? Getting stuck in a cultural rut.

I'm sure this is something many of you will relate to:

Basically, with every year that goes by it get ever harder to convince my girlfriend to watch something new. She has pretty good taste in movies generally, but it seems nowadays that every time we decide to watch something she immediately gravitates towards her 'comfort films' - an endlessly-repeated cycle of about 30 or 40 films and TV shows that she would apparently happily watch on a loop, forever.

They're not terrible films per se (generally John Hughes movies, Christmas films, upper-tier rom-coms, comedies and bland-but-watchable 1990s sitcoms), some are even excellent, all-time top 10 movies, but I just want to watch something new!

So we'll generally end up compromising and choosing something neither of us really want to watch, and end up on our phones, or spend so long arguing and trawling Netflix menus that we'll run out of time for a film.

Does my head in no end! We have this whole world of incredible entertainment at our fingertips via Blu Ray, streaming, not to mention HBO GO etc etc, and yet we just end up watching the same shit day in, day out.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

The phrase "cultural appropriation " has wormed its way into my purview. Seems like small-minded petty prejudice masquerading as progressive thinking. I mean... Yes, us white folks look ridiculous with dreads and I have no problem gently ribbing someone over their daft hair. However, calling someone a fundamentally bad person over something as superficial as their personal appearance or taste in music* is an extreme step I'm unwilling to take.

*ALL rock'n'roll could be considered cultural appropriation.
You may quote me on that.

Radiator, I have the polar opposite problem. Once me and my missus have watched something, she never wants to watch it again. Not because she didn't enjoy it immensely, but because "we've already seen it. What's the point watching it again?"

I've only seen each episode of Breaking Bad once.

radiator

Quote from: King Pops on 01 December, 2014, 08:08:30 PM
Radiator, I have the polar opposite problem. Once me and my missus have watched something, she never wants to watch it again. Not because she didn't enjoy it immensely, but because "we've already seen it. What's the point watching it again?"

Ah, but she'll put that argument out of the bag with stuff that I like to rewatch! I got the worst of both worlds.

Quote from: radiator on 01 December, 2014, 08:13:33 PM
Quote from: King Pops on 01 December, 2014, 08:08:30 PM

Ah, but she'll put that argument out of the bag with stuff that I like to rewatch! I got the worst of both worlds.

There's only two shows I've managed to break this pattern. Star Trek, because she understands that's my TV comfort food* and Game of Thrones, because I got sick of answering her questions and demanded she either reads the books or we rewatch it.

*she also has a crush on both Paddy Stewart and Young Shatner with his constantly ripping shirts.

JamesC

Netflix and other streaming services fill their quota with 90% shite so it's not unusual to trawl for ages before finding something you like.
I can totally understand wanting to rewatch films multiple times - I like to do it myself. While I do like to watch new things there's something to be said for putting on a show/film that you know suits your mood.

Hawkmumbler

Able bodied people who insist on sitting down on a bus or train even when an elderly or disabled person is struggling to stand. Hang the ignorant cunts.

SuperSurfer

Know you today, don't know you tomorrow types ie people who speak to you when they want something, are mock super pally and then in a day or two act as if you are a complete stranger and God forbid they should say hello or even stoop so low as to acknowledge you.

radiator

von Boom

JamesC

People that say "Only God can judge me". Double bell-end points if they have it tattooed.

Grugz

don't get into an argument with an idiot,he'll drag you down to his level then win with experience!

http://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php/topic,26167.0.html