Main Menu

Y'know what really grinds my gears?

Started by Link Prime, 12 April, 2014, 01:47:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SuperSurfer

Coffee addict here. Am typing this while drinking a tasty coffee from Costa near work.

I used to consider Cafe Nero coffee my fave but I reckon how good coffee tastes depends on who is making the coffee and on the branch. Some Costa branches are franchises and I find those serve much weaker coffee. Sometimes I say to my better half that I can't detect any coffee flavour and if I was told my drink was just warm milk I would believe that.

As for Starbucks – I find their coffee consistently undrinkable. Warm froth. I saw a Starbucks documentary and the head honcho was saying how after a trip to Italy he decided to get Starbucks going but served coffee for US tastes: weak and sweet.

radiator

I'm not saying there's no difference, I just think that people have a tendency to wildly exaggerate, bandying around words like 'undrinkable'. I mean, have people forgotten what the standard of coffee was like in the UK 15 years ago?

I've had objectively bad cups of coffee - but it's generally because something went wrong in the making of it.

QuoteI used to consider Cafe Nero coffee my fave but I reckon how good coffee tastes depends on who is making the coffee and on the branch. Some Costa branches are franchises and I find those serve much weaker coffee. Sometimes I say to my better half that I can't detect any coffee flavour and if I was told my drink was just warm milk I would believe that.

Depends on what you're used to. I find Costa and Starbucks a bit weak, but that's because they only use one shot, whereas Nero use two as standard.

Mattofthespurs

No liquid is undrinkable.

Might taste like shit, but it's not undrinkable.

I, Cosh

Quote from: Mattofthespurs on 12 March, 2015, 04:08:11 PM

As my secondary school physics teacher was fond of saying:

Johnny was a little boy, but now he is no more,
For what he thought was H2O was H2SO4
We never really die.

TordelBack

There's further mystery here: all the Starbucks I know serve at least three varieties of coffee as the base for their drinks: two brewed and one espresso, plus sundry decaff and novelties.  The addition of too much warm milk, cream, syrup, chocolate is at the consumers instruction.  When people say 'I hate Starbucks coffee', what exactly do they mean?

Now I'm not a fan myself, since their basic espresso (my thing) isn't great in terms of flavour and drinking it to the overloud AOR soundtrack is unpleasant, but their Fair Trade brewed coffee is often superior if you like a tall takeaway drink, and reasonably priced for the volume. I also have a penchant for their Gingerbread Lattes at Christmas, but these are best treated as milkshakes rather than coffees, on which basis they are very fine indeed.

I tend to always carry a flask of homemade espresso with me these days, which keeps me away from the moneypit franchise places, but if pushed into one I'd say West Coast Coffee (espresso) and Insomnia (lattes) are hard to beat.

All, and I mean all, are streets ahead of the oily slop (aka 'hotel coffee') which passed for coffee round here in the 80s and 90s.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: The Cosh on 12 March, 2015, 04:15:19 PM

:lol:

Mattofthespurs

It's still drinkable  :|

Banners

Web addresses have now been part of everyday language for about 15 years. Therefore, exaggerating the word "slash" is no longer funny.

von Boom

I just want people to stop saying hashtag to emphasise something. *Urge to kill rising...*

SuperSurfer

Owners of those four legged street shitting machines who put Fido to dump right outside people's front gates or on a point on the pavement where there is nowhere else to walk. Why not take Rover to the edge of the kerb or somewhere else and let him do his daily duties where people don't walk? Or outside their own front gate? No, not that because it's disgusting, right. Jeez if I catch the moron who let his companion do that right in front of our gate it's them I'll be house training.

sheridan

Or as Harry Harrison put it:
Little Lucy in the lab
Lies dead upon the floor
For what she thought was H2O
Was H2SO4

A similar tale goes thus:
Two chemists are sitting in a cafe.  The first chemist who orders first says "Could I have some H2O" while the second says "I'll have H2O2". Then the second chemist dies.

radiator

People who tag their photos #nofilter.

I still don't know what the purpose of this is, but it always makes me think that they're saying "Yeah, check out my amazing photo. You might think I used filters to make it look this good, but I didn't!".

sheridan

Quote from: radiator on 14 March, 2015, 12:19:52 AM

I still don't know what the purpose of this is, but it always makes me think that they're saying "Yeah, check out my amazing photo. You might think I used filters to make it look this good, but I didn't!".

This has passed me by (I don't think any of my friends have used that hashtag) - what is it supposed to mean?

radiator

Quote from: sheridan on 14 March, 2015, 02:06:05 AM
Quote from: radiator on 14 March, 2015, 12:19:52 AM

This has passed me by (I don't think any of my friends have used that hashtag) - what is it supposed to mean?

They're basically stating that the photo is completely unedited and they haven't used any of Instagram's built in colour filters. Why they feel the need to state this I don't know.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: sheridan on 12 March, 2015, 07:43:35 PM
Two chemists are sitting in a cafe.  The first chemist who orders first says "Could I have some H2O" while the second says "I'll have H2O2 H2O, too". Then the second chemist dies.

FTFY!

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.