Main Menu

Y'know what really grinds my gears?

Started by Link Prime, 12 April, 2014, 01:47:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fungus

Quote from: Spaceghost on 06 July, 2015, 10:01:58 PM
People typing THEN when they really mean THAN.

Yeah, what is that? In the same vein, 'could of'. As in, "I could of read this shit before I hit [send] and it sounds almost right anyway".

Oh, and it's. Which most of the time people seem to get wrong. I'm thinking it bugs me because adding the apostrophe is actually more work; you've done extra work in order to get it wrong. Man.

sheridan

Quote from: Fungus on 06 July, 2015, 11:40:02 PM

Yeah, what is that? In the same vein, 'could of'. As in, "I could of read this shit before I hit [send] and it sounds almost right anyway".
Definitely - sets my teeth on edge whenever I see (or hear) someone making that mistake.

SmallBlueThing

Both of those are forgivable though.  "Could of" seems to be a consequence of the contraction "could've", which sounds more like "could of" than "could have", and so is a reasonable mistake to make.

As for "its"- while it's annoying no doubt,  I find I can lay the blame for my usage of the wrong type firmly at the feet of my bloody smartphone, which corrects "its" to "it's" everytime without fail, despite it being the second choice in the list of potentials the screen throws up.  The word being only three letters long and correctly spelled both ways and so not underlined in red,  it often slips past my notice. 

People who say "pacific" rather than "specific" however,  they deserve a spanking. 

SBT

I, Cosh

"Judge Dredd is much more handsome then Batman"
Never seen this in my life before, but it would most certainly annoy me.

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 07 July, 2015, 08:36:27 AM
Both of those are forgivable though.  "Could of" seems to be a consequence of the contraction "could've", which sounds more like "could of" than "could have", and so is a reasonable mistake to make.
It's obviously phonetic spelling (depending on where you live) but that doesn't make it any less irritating.
We never really die.

Fungus

then/than is very common, I'm sure you've enountered it but breezed past it before the full horror sank in  :)  First website I looked at this morning after this thread had some comments, and there it was again. Vindication!

hippynumber1

People who describe an increased heart rate (or anything else quick for that matter) as beating "10 to the dozen!" Listen to what you're saying idiots! The phrase is '19 to the dozen' as in a normal heart will beat 12 to the dozen but mine was so quick it beat 19 times in the same period! 10 to the dozen means it's beating slowly! Morons!

SuperSurfer

When botch up merchants screw something up and when that is pointed out to them, say the person correcting them is a "perfectionist". The botch up merchant's motto of choice.

No, just keep it as it was. There is no need for you to change the typeface and jumble up the paragraphs. It is easier to keep it as it was.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Quote from: hippynumber1 on 07 July, 2015, 09:27:46 AM
People who describe an increased heart rate (or anything else quick for that matter) as beating "10 to the dozen!" Listen to what you're saying idiots! The phrase is '19 to the dozen' as in a normal heart will beat 12 to the dozen but mine was so quick it beat 19 times in the same period! 10 to the dozen means it's beating slowly! Morons!

I thought it was ninety to the dozen.
You may quote me on that.

hippynumber1

At least you went in the right direction!

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Maybe I just get a better exchange rate...
You may quote me on that.

CrazyFoxMachine

A colleague today was the first person I've seen so far to utterly despise Mad Max: Fury Road...

...also he's an incredible misogynist. I wasn't immediately sure if the famously blatant feminist streak in the film was what irked him particularly but as he grappled to put his finger on why exactly he didn't enjoy it to such a strong degree it started to become more obvious.

"Jumped up... silly modern nonsense. Not at all what Mad Max should be about. Just... a disgrace to the name." He spluttered, confused and sad.

radiator

I've mentioned this before, but people who self-righteously post and share weird things on facebook and instagram to 'protest' or 'challenge' the respective companies limitations on what is deemed acceptable to post. Seems to be happening more and more recently.

I get the point, I just think it's not one worth making.

Theblazeuk

Quote from: CrazyFoxMachine on 07 July, 2015, 10:56:25 PM
"Jumped up... silly modern nonsense. Not at all what Mad Max should be about. Just... a disgrace to the name." He spluttered, confused and sad.

:lol:

Goaty

Dandontdare