Main Menu

Y'know what really grinds my gears?

Started by Link Prime, 12 April, 2014, 01:47:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Banners

How horrible, especially as they're neighbours. I hope nothing comes of it, but as I understand it, a charge means a court appearance. However, if the other side are not being consistent or truthful then their story will unravel pretty quickly. Awful situation.

Modern Panther

Wow, some people really are pricks, aren't they?

Yeah, it'll likely be called to court, but the judge/sheriff will likely see through the whole thing pretty quick. 

JamesC

I was once charged with assault (I was completely innocent - a fight kicked off in a McDonalds and I'd been mis-identified) and I didn't have to go to court or even have a second interview with the police. I just got a letter through the post saying no further action was being taken as there was no evidence (in fact I think the whole thing had been captured on CCTV, which would have made it perfectly clear that I wasn't involved).

The Legendary Shark

That really annoys me. The bullshit passing for law in this country is a joke. I'd say you need to stop this before it goes before magistrates because, in my direct experience, they love fining people whether they're guilty or not. Get legal help NOW.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

I, Cosh

Quote from: Banners on 10 June, 2016, 12:51:15 PM
How horrible, especially as they're neighbours. I hope nothing comes of it, but as I understand it, a charge means a court appearance. However, if the other side are not being consistent or truthful then their story will unravel pretty quickly. Awful situation.
Not necessarily. Police make the charge and it's then referred to the Procurator Fiscal to decide if there's enough evidence to warrant prosecution (I assume this is broadly the same process in England, with the names changed.) Even if it goes that far, judges really aren't stupid.

Still pretty shit for your dad and sis though Keef.
We never really die.

Satanist

Sounds terrible Keef. I always like to think cowards like that will pull their shit on the wrong person eventually.

I do hope it works out alright for your family.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

Keef Monkey

Thanks folks, here's hoping it comes to nothing. If things work the way Cosh explained then hopefully it will fizzle out - after all there isn't any 'evidence' as such, just one group's word against the other, and of course their story paints it in a different light! As James said, it's hard to believe this is the only time they've gone off the handle like that so that might come to light and make a difference. Never nice to be reminded that some people really, really are nasty, and makes me angry to think that it's causing that much stress to loved ones.

Thanks again for the replies, was freaking out a bit and it's helped.

sheridan

Quote from: The Cosh on 10 June, 2016, 04:03:15 PM
Not necessarily. Police make the charge and it's then referred to the Procurator Fiscal to decide if there's enough evidence to warrant prosecution (I assume this is broadly the same process in England, with the names changed.)
It is - the British name is the Crown Prosecution Service.

Goaty

JamesC

radiator

It's more something that makes me cringe rather than get angry, but I can't abide it when people I know, and especially celebrities or writers I admire - use a public platform like Twitter to complain or rant about a product or service. It's doubly cringeworthy when they @ mention the company in question. No matter how frustrated you are, it is never a good idea to do this - there's just no way of doing it without coming away looking petty and desperately uncool.

Banners

I've done that on Twitter a couple of times, albeit reluctantly, and am aware I look like a spoilt child and a bit of a dick. However, the truth is you get a far better response calling companies out publicly, than what is often a dead end going via a Customer Service number or using email (always ignored).

The RAC, USPS, Thomson Holidays and Hillary's Blinds (what a tragically middle class lifestyle...!) are a few examples that spring to mind, where I've had a far more considerate and diligent response than going through traditional channels.

Conversely, it's a good platform to use to call out good service I think, and acknowledge when companies have done something right. And sometimes it's not a complaint, but just an attempt to engage on some positive, basic human level. It is called "social media" after all...!

Organisations and brands adopt the same default kind of twee, overbearingly positive and artificially happy tone of voice on Twitter, and it's hard not to react to that when they're saying how great they are but you know different. Our local Council is a case in point.

Also, one of the most highly-regarded and high profile creative agencies around here uses an automated Twitter feed, which as well as being uncreative, disingenuous and utterly banal, is often simply wrong and/or woefully out of date. Again, I should know better but sometimes it's so annoying I can't help reacting, albeit in a spirit of 'banter' rather than outright criticism.

Goaty

After left old job of 13 years to move to London to be married. 4 months later, no job then ask back as freelance at Newcastle, and last Tuesday, my wife gone to hospital and she just fine, that happens when I am away from her. LIfe is really strange sometimes!

Hawkmumbler

Aye, I recently had a long (30!) tweet chain rant at (errr, @) EasyJet after 3 months of being kicked about after my baggage and half it's contents where massacred in Malta in May. 3 months of bumbling about via email, resolved in 2 days via Twitter. Got my money so couldn't care less if I looked like a dick doing it.

Professor Bear

Sorry to hear about your missus, Goaty.  I hope she's doing better now.