Main Menu

Underworld movie

Started by MrDankDonk, 27 February, 2003, 01:30:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrDankDonk

spotted promo stuff for a movie called "Underworld" at aintitcoolnews.com...

plot synopsis: Romeo and Juliet type doomed love story set against the background of a long-running feud between vampire society and the werewolves.

was there not a 2000ad one-off series called "Love like Blood" a few years ago with exactly this scenario?

if so, is this an official adaption, a rip-off or a happy coincidence?

Richmond Clements

Yeah, I read about that too.Isn't Kate Bekensdale in it?
Remember that movie Hardware many years ago? It was a rip-off of some Pat Mills story. Thatrg sued. He should sue again!

Link: rac

MrDankDonk

aye
hardware was a 'futureshock' I think....

some wee guy finds a bunch of scrap out in the desert, takes it home, solders a few wires together and ::SKRUNCH :: there's an antique war robot lose in his hoose.....

this Underworld thing though.... the similarities are so close I can't help but think there's maybe some co-operation going on.

karne

"hardware was a 'futureshock' I think...."

Hardware was ripped off from a Ro-Jaws Robo Tale called S.H.O.K. which appeared in the first ever (1981) Judge Dredd annual.  

karne

Here's a nice piccy of it...http://www.2000adonline.com/covers/specials/mediumres/dredd81.jpg">

MrDankDonk

ah yes, geek points to Karne...

I'm still none the wiser as to the provenance of this Underworld thing though...

Art

"the similarities are so close I can't help but think there's maybe some co-operation going on."

Its a Romeo & Juliet type love story, as is West Side Story or (ugh) Romeo Must Die. Werewolves and Vampires, and even combinations of Werewolves and Vampires have been done many, many times before. I wouldn't be suprised if Werewolves, Vampires and Romeoa and Juleit had been done a couple of times... Theres just not much of a case for it being a "Love Like Blood" rip-off. As with Blodrayne, too many of the common elements are generic.

Wake

You can read Shok in full on this website.

Shok! (Judge Dredd Annual 1981) 7
Script: Steve MacManus and Kevin O'Neill, Artist: Kevin O'Neill, Letters: Tony Jacob
Thrill Power: 7.59 (54 votes)
This story was used as the basis for the film Hardware.
Reprinted
2000AD Prog 612
Quality: Judge Dredd (Volume 2) 35, Colour: Unknown

Link: Shok!

karne

He, he! I'm going to have to rename myself "Keege" aren't I Wake ;) I'd also like to add that I won a copy of Hardware in the Crisis magazine competition, good or what?

P.S. How long has S.H.O.K. been on site and what other strips are online here.

MrDankDonk

yir "generic elements" argument is nonsense..

on that basis,  no-one would be able to claim any sort of ownership of any sci-fi / fantasy concepts,  they are so interbred...

I've read a fair few books and comics, and Love Like Blood was the first that explicitly combined
a) vampire society  (common enough, I know)
b) werewolf society (less common)
c) an ongoing 'organised' war between the two
c) a member of each falling in love aganst that background

I say SUE

Art

on that basis, no-one would be able to claim any sort of ownership of any sci-fi / fantasy concepts, they are so interbred...

Welcome to the wonderful world of IP!

Link: http://www.intellectual-property.gov.uk/" target="_blank">http://www.intellectual-property.gov.uk/

Wake

Shok has been on the site for longer that I can remember. I think it was probably one of the first to go up...so well over a year.

Click on Characters and then Thrillviewer. You'll find some treats in there, including a Daily Star Dredd I rearranged last week.

Wake

karne

Wow! Excellent stuff there Wake. I've never noticed the "Read Online" bit before, which is shameful considering I've been here about a year and a half, wood for trees and all that I suppose. Anyway, after a quick scan through, I've resolved to put aside some time to thoroughly explore this site and check out all the other goodies I've been missing out on. I'd advise the rest of you boarders to do the same if you haven't already.

Wake

The site map is a good place to start.

Wake

karne

Hey! Don't go getting all technical on me now Wake! ;)