Main Menu

Printing/paper recommendations

Started by mygrimmbrother, 26 September, 2009, 11:24:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mygrimmbrother

Hey guys

I want tp print out the strips I've recently completed for Dogbreath, plus a few pages in colour for the strip I've nealry completed for Back From The Deptths, to possibly show at BICS (if I can pluck up the courage). I'm off to town later to pick up some decent paper, but I don't really know what to get.

What can you folks recommend, paper-wise?

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: mygrimmbrother on 26 September, 2009, 11:24:21 AM

What make of printer is it? I've honestly found that if the printer manufacturer makes their own paper, it genuinely does give better results than brand X ...

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

mygrimmbrother

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 26 September, 2009, 11:30:41 AM
Quote from: mygrimmbrother on 26 September, 2009, 11:24:21 AM

What make of printer is it? I've honestly found that if the printer manufacturer makes their own paper, it genuinely does give better results than brand X ...

Cheers

Jim

'Tis an HP one Jim.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: mygrimmbrother on 26 September, 2009, 11:33:15 AM

'Tis an HP one Jim.

No experience with HP printers at all, but I'd reckon that if HP do a premium paper, go with that. You might want to get a pack of glossy and a pack of matte, if there's a choice, and see which you prefer.

Cheers!

Jim

mygrimmbrother

Thanks Jim. I owe you a strawberry daquiri.

radiator

I would avoid glossy at all costs - matte looks so much better for things like comic art. I use Epson Matte Paper - Heavyweight A3. It costs a fair bit, but you get what you pay for - cheaper matte papers can have a weird plasticy sheen.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: radiator on 26 September, 2009, 11:59:08 AM
I would avoid glossy at all costs - matte looks so much better for things like comic art. I use Epson Matte Paper - Heavyweight A3. It costs a fair bit, but you get what you pay for - cheaper matte papers can have a weird plasticy sheen.

Trust Radiator, for he is wise ...

Cheers!

Jim

mygrimmbrother

Thanks Rads. So if I try epson matte paper in my HP printer, you reckon this'll be ok?

radiator

Should be fine, though as Jim says you may get a slightly better result with HP paper (I wouldn't know - I've only really had experience with Epson).

Also: don't forget to change the appropriate settings (in the page setup/print preview) on your printer for whichever paper you choose, or regardless of paper choice the prints will come out crap! It's sometimes worth doing a quick B&W test print to make sure the sizing/dimensions are ok before you print on your nice new expensive paper!

radiator

Sorry if those last bits were a bit patronising - but I learnt these things the hard way!  :)

mygrimmbrother