Main Menu

Doctor Who Series 11 Discussion

Started by Andy Lambert, 07 October, 2018, 08:13:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 15 October, 2018, 12:33:17 PM
Quote from: TordelBack on 15 October, 2018, 10:50:26 AM
FWIW I would have preferred the Tardis to remain elusive for a few episodes longer, with the gang hitchhiking around trying to find it or get back to Earth someone other way.

Yeah I really hoped they'd do this, think it would have been great fun. Alas not and I can see why they might have gone that way. After all its a key concept to the show and I'm assuming they want lots of new folks tuning in so best to get it established asap.

Still shame as it would have been a good setup. Mind that said the redesign now it is here is great.

Mmmm. My 9-year old daughter,  who somehow has never watched or even been particularly aware of Dr Who before (I have no idea how, she's a pretty hardcore SF show fan... I'm just a bad father), was entranced by the reveal of the Tardis interior, so I suppose they know what they are doing.  My son (12) says he prefers 13 to the three previous Doctors he's watched (Tennant, Smith and Capaldi, but mainly Smith), despite harbouring a mild resentment for girls being the center of everything these days (his words), so ditto.

JamesC

Quote from: BPP on 15 October, 2018, 12:18:13 PM
Quote from: JamesC on 15 October, 2018, 12:13:02 PM
Quote from: BPP on 15 October, 2018, 11:05:48 AM
Quote from: JamesC on 15 October, 2018, 10:33:22 AM
I think you're being a bit harsh. There were certainly some minor niggles but slightly rubbish robots and wonky science shouldn't spoil your enjoyment of Dr Who of all things.
As for the voice thing - I just don't get it. She sounds typical of a woman from the north of England - I wouldn't say her voice is particualrly shrill or anything.
The 'physical presence' thing doesn't make much sense to me either. I've never thought of the Doctor as being physically imposing and this episode went to lengths to emphasise the Doctor's 'brains over brawn' philosophy. Gravtias doesn't necessarily come from an imposing physical form either.   

' Woman popping off and invading space' when

Fixed that for you.  :lol:
I'd ask you not to pretend to change my words.

'Popping off' is very much a junenile activity and I know what I wrote. I'm trying to voice problems I find with how this portrayal of the doctor is coming across to me, a person who has no problems with a woman being the doctor. You can go trough my posts here and see I have never expressed any issue about the appointment of a female doctor. I'm all for this one being successful and the next one being a female too.

I was just trying to be funny but on a more serious note, your post does come across like 'weedy little girls should stay away from big tough men' which seems to miss the point of the scene. While she might not have an imposing physical presence, the Doctor isn't daunted by those that do. She isn't intimidated by big tough men or guns. I thought the scene worked well. Your comparison to 300 seems mis-judged - the Doctor was using 'Venusian aikido', a martial art. How many martial arts films feature a physically smaller protagonist standing up to a bigger, more physically imposing oponent?

TordelBack

And pretty much all genre TV that has featured a woman since 1995. 

BPP

Those martial arts movies with a super trained athlete rather than a regenerated doctor not able to judge her stature yet?

Give me a break - one minute the Defense is she's not in full awareness of her body yet, the next is she's a space ninja.

Anyway real life calls so we can sign off on a 'we all wish this series well' note that's grand.
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

shaolin_monkey

The great thing about Aikido is that it is very concerned about protecting the attacker from harm as much as the defender.  It's great that Venusian Aikido is the same, and awesome that the Doctor is a master of it.  It totally fits in with his/her (their? hir?)* life-long philosophy.

*Apologies for the brief interlude into the grammatical challenges of the gender-fluid.  The Doctor identifies as a woman, so from this point onwards I'll say 'her'.

TordelBack

Quote from: BPP on 15 October, 2018, 12:58:33 PMGive me a break - one minute the Defense is she's not in full awareness of her body yet, the next is she's a space ninja.

Both those things were in the show. 

BPP

Quote from: TordelBack on 15 October, 2018, 12:57:56 PM
And pretty much all genre TV that has featured a woman since 1995.

Actually of you take Person of Interest you see three main female characters who don't demonstrate any of the problems the doctors demonstrating.

Root - was tall but physically very slight - she stays away from one to one aggression and moves about a scene, only moving close with stealth. Her height also meant she was rarely looking up at bigger foes.

Shaw - was much smaller but also much more muscular and very much the Vasquez of the show. Even then her chest to chest moments against larger foes were 'display' and made sense. From the minute she's introduced she's a murder machine so her threat level is clear to all.

Control - an absolute mountain of a woman who let her size carry as much threat as her authority. It's convincung that she used her size to propel her status and career as a no-bullshit boss.

If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

TordelBack

Have to defer to you on that one,  never seen it.

Taryn Tailz

While they managed to pick up and fix the potential plot hole of the languages being translated without the TARDIS being present, I did notice one small goof which managed to make it's way through into the finished episode.

In 'The Woman Who Fell to Earth' the Doctor, while still in 12's outfit, repeatedly makes it clear that she has nothing in her pockets, after which she picks up her new outfit from a charity shop and heads immediately off to the planet in 'The Ghost Monument'. So...where exactly did Audrey Hepburn's sunglasses appear from?

JamesC

I would imagine Person of Interest had military advisors on the production. Probably less likely that Doctor Who has any Venusian Aikido masters on hand but you never know. :lol:
They're very different shows. If your criticism of Doctor Who is that the combat/action isn't as realistically prsented as it is on PoI then I guess that's fair enough. Seems kind of weird though.

Dandontdare

Quote from: Taryn Tailz on 15 October, 2018, 01:16:48 PM
In 'The Woman Who Fell to Earth' the Doctor, while still in 12's outfit, repeatedly makes it clear that she has nothing in her pockets, after which she picks up her new outfit from a charity shop and heads immediately off to the planet in 'The Ghost Monument'. So...where exactly did Audrey Hepburn's sunglasses appear from?

They just didn't show the bit where she travels back in time a few decades and persuades Audrey Hepburn to donate a coat with sunglasses in the pocket to a Sheffield charity shop. Simple.

When the cigar was introduced they may as well have waved it around shouting "look folks, this is what we'll use to save the day in a bit" (from a fire that mysteriously didn't consume the oxygen in the tiny space between the ground and the rest of the atmosphere - people have died in Californian wildfires by jumping into swimming pools but suffocating as the fire sweeps over sucking up all the oxygen)

IndigoPrime

Well, if people can live with spaceships going PEW PEW PEW in almost every sci-fi flick and show, I can suspend disbelief for some sci-fi wobbliness in Doctor Who.

Mattofthespurs

Regardless of any nit picking over small details I just didn't like the episode bar the last ten minutes.
Just thought it was a poor story poorly written.
But my Son and I both let our a cheer when the Tardis appeared.
Loved the Tardis stuff.
Loved the first episode, not keen on episode 2.

Taryn Tailz

Quote from: Dandontdare on 15 October, 2018, 01:50:14 PM
Quote from: Taryn Tailz on 15 October, 2018, 01:16:48 PM

They just didn't show the bit where she travels back in time a few decades and persuades Audrey Hepburn to donate a coat with sunglasses in the pocket to a Sheffield charity shop. Simple.

It's good to know they're already planning for the future of Big Finish.  :lol:

Thoughts on 'The Ghost Monument':

I love the new theme tune even more now I've seen the opening titles. A perfect modern evocation of the original titles from '63.

I thought the episode was much more engaging this week than last. It looked gorgeous throughout and it's been a while since we had a good old fashioned 'quest' story. It maybe could have done with a little bit more incident to shore up the middle, but I think that was my favourite Chibnall penned episode by far. (Though that may be somewhat faint praise.)

Jodie Whitaker continues to impress. The Doctor just seemed so enthusiastic about the adventure that she makes you want to go with her and join in on her travels. This is exactly what the Doctor should be.

New TARDIS interior - I think it's probably pretty good. I didn't really feel we got a properly clear shot of it, and I kind of wish it was lit a different colour to the near default new series colour scheme of 'burnt orange'; with the interior which immediately pre-dated this one being the obvious exception.

Tiplodocus

I thought that was Ok. Not brilliant. Not one of my problems with the episode were caused by the Doctor not having a penis.

Whittaker is great, isn't she? Fits like a glove.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!