Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jared Katooie

Winter's Bone.

It was alright, but I wouldn't call it a masterpiece.

Greg M.

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 04 April, 2011, 05:07:51 PM
TIME BANDITS - not seen this for ages.  A bit slow by today's standards, and given it's episodic nature it is very hit and miss but David Warner is just class throughout and overall it gets a big thumbs up.

There is almost no film that can't be made better with a dose of David Warner. Even that colossal abomination men know as 'Titanic' is livened up when he starts taking shots at Di Caprio. As for Time Bandits, the line that is indelibly burned into my brain remains Warner's delivery of: "Of course you can't, you silly little man. I control them."

I, Cosh

Very hungover yesterday I watched Before Sunrise for about the ten millionth time. It is still absolutely wonderful.

Saw Source Code on Friday night and was underwhelmed. Despite everything I've read about it mentioning an emotional core, it left me cold and unengaged.
We never really die.

TordelBack

Quote from: Greg M. on 04 April, 2011, 08:32:23 PM
There is almost no film that can't be made better with a dose of David Warner.

Star Trek V benefits from his presence not one jot.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: TordelBack on 04 April, 2011, 10:44:01 PM

That's the film's fault rather than his.

TordelBack

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 04 April, 2011, 10:56:43 PM
Quote from: TordelBack on 04 April, 2011, 10:44:01 PM

That's the film's fault rather than his.

Well indeed.  After all, he owns Star Trek VI. 

Jim_Campbell

Ghostbusters on DVD (well, rip from DVD to the digital library). This was a Christmas prezzie from the missus that we've only just got round to watching this weekend. Not seen it in a decade, and I'd forgotten what a fucking brilliant movie this is. Enjoyed every minute of it.

Rango tonight at the cinema. Bloody brilliant. The CGI animation is superb, the design, characters, sets and costume (no, really, the attention to detail on the costumes is breathtaking -- check out the bank manager's frayed shirt collar) are excellent. The humour alternates between broad and very funny, and sharp and sly. The western tropes are riffed on effectively and with obvious affection, and I thought I detected a couple of sly visual jabs at Verbinski and Depp's previous Pirates of the Caribbean movies into the bargain.

Cheers!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Professor Bear

Armor of God.  Lauded as a minor classic in action cinema, I'm surprised by how bloody slow it is, with long and unfunny comedy scenes that I am admittedly prepared to overlook given that star and director Jackie Chan probably had to pace himself a bit after self-knobbling during one of the earliest stunts - and you can see where it happened onscreen as his hair is actually several inches longer between scenes filmed before and after he had to slow down a bit to concentrate on not being dead by having his head's contents fall out the brand new hole he'd made in it.  When the action scenes kick off, mind, it's great fun - not just the kung-fu stuff but even the car chase through a town made of empty cardboard boxes and just-offscreen ramps.

Lost In Space.  A total mess, I'd forgotten how bad this actually was.  So much of it is  actually objectively good, it's just that none of it gels with any of the rest of it and almost every last bit that strikes you as impressive is undermined by an atrocious script that cannot at any point of the production ever have been good, the characters interacting like the writer has never in his life met an actual human being.
But there's lots that I enjoyed, like the Jupiter 2 racing through a collapsing planet, the now-anachronistic but still impressive use of models and huge sets over CGI, even some matte background paintings that lend the thing a charm that admittedly evaporates seconds later when characters open their fucking mouths but is still there nonetheless.  The production design is great, just all over the place and never creates a coherent visual whole, though with a hefty does of comedy that actually worked and a Will Robinson that was not terrible, this might have been much more fondly remembered than it is.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Professah Byah on 05 April, 2011, 10:52:44 PM
Lost In Space.  A total mess, I'd forgotten how bad this actually was.  So much of it is  actually objectively good, it's just that none of it gels with any of the rest of it and almost every last bit that strikes you as impressive is undermined by an atrocious script that cannot at any point of the production ever have been good, the characters interacting like the writer has never in his life met an actual human being.

I have to say, I rather like Lost in Space. ISTR at the time a lot of SF films seemed to be other genres given a bit of science-fiction set-dressing, and I gave LiS a lot of credit for being a movie that could only have been a science fiction movie: space travel, time travel, robots, aliens... it was actually an SF movie. And, having watched it quite recently, I was surprised how well the FX stood up.

But, yeah, the character work is woeful.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Kerrin

I remember seeing an interview with one of the cast members (can't recall which, Hurt I think) when Lost in Space came out that said they'd all signed up for 5 films! They're certainly taking their time on the second one, I should imagine it will be mindblowing.

I thought the effects and design were good but a great deal of it sucked shee-it. The teenage girl should have been jettisoned from an airlock at the soonest opportunity.

Professor Bear

The girl who played Penny was alright, she just didn't have a character with anything to contribute to the story.  The kid actor who plays Will Robinson, mind - he is fucking terrible.  He delivers lines like "have you met our parents?" without any cadence, which simply isn't how kids talk, he just has this flat delivery all the way through the movie while his older sis seems to be making a decent fist of things with emotional highs and lows, however unconvincing some of those may be in practice - plus she had horrible, horrible hair, which for some reason I quite liked about the character's appearance.
Matt LeBlanc is all over the shop with his portrayal of Don West, too.  Sometimes he's sharp and laconic, sometimes he's blathering and dumb as a post, like they changed his thick-headed military man halfway through filming to be more like his character off Friends.  Hurt is one-note and his arc is unconvincing mainly because suddenly the film is revealed to be all about him rather than the family as a whole, Oldman's Dr Smith is the wrong kind of panto villainy, Heather Graham is a bit flat but, again, has nothing to do, and Mimi Rogers... well, she's more convincing here than she was in that film where she spent ten years as some dude's beard, but that's not saying much.

klute

The social network  i enjoyed it but not as much as i thought
loveforstitch - Does he fall in love? I like a little romance in all my movies.

Rekaert - Yes, he demonstrates it with bullets, punches and sentencing.

He's Mega City 1's own Don Juan.

mygrimmbrother

My best mate raved about it and we watched it, na denjoyed it too. However I had the unshakeable feeling that I'd find it very irritating second time round, and I was right. A bit too smug and self-satisfied (but that's Sorkin dialogue for you).

klute

Quote from: mygrimmbrother on 06 April, 2011, 12:34:41 PM
My best mate raved about it and we watched it, na denjoyed it too. However I had the unshakeable feeling that I'd find it very irritating second time round, and I was right. A bit too smug and self-satisfied (but that's Sorkin dialogue for you).

In all fairness i was going use C**T in my post but smug would do just as well. it appears to be a film where all people involved say its accurate and the people its based upon say its all but fiction. either way i didnt feel i could invest any emotion to the characters.
loveforstitch - Does he fall in love? I like a little romance in all my movies.

Rekaert - Yes, he demonstrates it with bullets, punches and sentencing.

He's Mega City 1's own Don Juan.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Zu Warriors of the Magic Mountain. Crazy Kung-Fu madness. The Special Effects were very special.
You may quote me on that.