Main Menu

2000 AD - The Ultimate Collection

Started by Molch-R, 27 February, 2017, 06:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davidbishop

How do we know Blackhawk and Dredd are filling the final two books?

I'm sure this has been covered further back, but this thread is rather... lengthy.

Dark Jimbo

Blackhawk was revealed as one of the books when this current (second) extension was first announced - plus he's on the spine image!

Some Dredd was confirmed to be coming in this extension in response to a question on the Facebook page.
@jamesfeistdraws

davidbishop

Still living in hope of a Middenface volume...

IndigoPrime

Let it go, sir. Like I've come to terms with no Armoured Gideon goodness, you'll have to make do with a what-if regarding the Scottish Stront.

davidbishop

sintec

Finished this months books. Enjoyed the Devlin volume more than I expected, having not been a huge fan of the Kot run when it's been in the Meg. Another case of reading better collected than serialised maybe. It does end at a very frustrating point though, not sure why they cut it off there meh. Hadn't read the 2 McConville stories before, they were just before I started buying the Meg. They're both servicable enough little occult adventures. But I tend to agree with Indigo it'd have been better to have the full Kot run to date.

The Ro-busters book is an enjoyable read. Can't go wrong with Terra-Meks it's a great story and Rise and Fall has a great supporting cast. Some of the annual stories are a bit meh - but that seems to be par for the course with the early ones. If you've got the Complete Nuts and Bolts then I think the only thing you're missing is The Inside Story from prog 144 but you gain a couple of other Ro-Jaws Robo-Tales instead. Haven't decided if I'll keep my Complete Nuts and Bolts yet. It's the nicer reprint and keeps everything in order but I'm not convinced I need 2 copies of this stuff. Guess I'll see how much shelf space I've got once I've finished redecorating.

IndigoPrime

What annoyed me (and, judging by Facebook, John Smith) about McConville's run wasn't the broad quality of the writing, which was just fine. It was that they answered questions that didn't need answering – and that shouldn't ultimately have been answered. Devlin Waugh is often about weird shit in the background; kind of like what Mignola does with Hellboy, there are a lot of things hanging around as atmosphere. When you dig into and explain those things, the strip loses something. And, yeah, missing the end of the Kot run (perhaps the finest Devlin strip to date) is frustrating to the point I just can't bring myself to buy the book. I get why the decision was made, but since this is an entirely separate partwork to the other one, I'm not sure completist was the right decision.

Good to hear you enjoyed Ro-Busters. Those are fun tales. I have the two Rebellion HCs here, otherwise I'd have picked up both of those. (Vol. 1 is often hokey as anything, but it is fun. And that's enough sometimes in a comic.)

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

After having skipped every single further episode of BLUNT when running in The Meg, after not getting on with the first one or two, for some reason I picked up the Ultimate Collection book when I saw it on the shelf in WHS.

And, though I still find Boo Cook's art more hard work than I would like, I have to say that I'm really enjoying it. It's been underneath my coffee table for a few weeks and I only opened it this morning. An hour or so later, I'd finished Book One, and had somewhat changed my mind about it. Yes, Cook's art still rankles (I think it's his palette with all the pinks, which to my eyes distract from the clarity of what the hell I'm looking at), but on the whole that first story is a great, and old-fashioned, 'Death Planet' style romp. Great characters, and bang up to date with the ecological concerns becoming central to the plot as it goes along. Can't wait to see how it develops over the next two books.

Nice when that happens.

SBT

sintec

Quote from: SmallBlueThing(Reborn) on 22 September, 2022, 02:49:58 PM
After having skipped every single further episode of BLUNT when running in The Meg, after not getting on with the first one or two, for some reason I picked up the Ultimate Collection book when I saw it on the shelf in WHS.

And, though I still find Boo Cook's art more hard work than I would like, I have to say that I'm really enjoying it.

Glad to hear this as I was hoping this was going to be one that read better collected than it had in the Meg. The Returners was similar for me.

Bad Andy

Just finished Grey Area Books 1&2, which improved greatly after the first batch of stories. I do struggle with Mark Harrison's artwork though, in a way that I don't with Boo Cook's for example. Maybe his palette choice doesn't work well with the colour blind.

Then I absolutely belted through this last Strontium Dog book. Agree that it was a nice place for the story to end. What always gets me about Stront is it's ability to look like a linear storyline and for it to unexpectedly spend a load of time at one of the plot points, having a bit of fun.

Knightshade

Has anyone had any difficulty getting the last two books? My newsagent has come up dry now for a month. Just wondering!

The Monarch

i dunno if its cause i recently read the robusters stories again but it feels...somehow off with the new info which appeared in this story which added a lot of stuff to the older ones. I mean i know quartz was a piece of shit but faking all the disasters the robusters went on feels too much is it just me that feels that?

also did we really need the finn reference?

IndigoPrime

I'd forgotten that with Quartz. That really does shift him up from merely hideous corporate shit to some kind of outlandish moustache-twirling Bond villain.

Jade Falcon

I read Revere, but to be honest I just couldn't enjoy it.  Maybe not the right frame of mind, but it was just too out there.
When the truth offends, we lie and lie until we can no longer remember it is even there, but it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid. That is how an RBMK reactor core explodes. Lies. - Valery Legasov

The Monarch

okay i finished and that is how one of my fave 2000ad stories end not with a bang but with a fuck you pay me from pat mills. What a let down fallout is i can see why it was not reprinted reading return to ro busters and this next to each other makes you feel like "wait are we missing a book here?" the back matter is also very eye opening too and if i cared about pat these days i would be curious whats in his little nft chapter of his book to see how much bile is inside him

far as i know we have one more mills book in the uc and then that joe pineapples thing and i can happily never think of pat again

god i hate feeling like this about someone who created stuff i love but well.....