Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Enigmatic Dr X

Just enjoyed Fellowship of the Ring's extended edition with my eldest today. It's a beautifully shot film.
Lock up your spoons!

TordelBack

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 28 December, 2015, 08:33:24 PM
Just enjoyed Fellowship of the Ring's extended edition with my eldest today. It's a beautifully shot film.

Yeah, the Extended Edition is a great film - the best of the lot and a very neat adaptation.

von Boom

Willow. Warwick Davis and Val Kilmer are both great in this one. I'd forgotten how gorgeous Joanne Whalley was/is.

Ancient Otter

Caught some of Papillion on BBC4 last night, wasn't expecting to like it but it was good. Apparently not the true story it was claimed to be at the time though.

TordelBack

Pacific Rim.  How could have I gone so long before a random purchase in Aldi's bargain bin showed me the light...  This is just a terrific film from start to finish, even the appallingly daffy scientist duo are amusing, and the familiarity, predictability and godawful science somehow just add to the feel.  Great sense of scale, clear action and distinctive design, lovely water and lighting effects, star turn from Elba, affecting flashback child actor performance, comedy gold from Perlman... everything is just a blast.  The definitive Power Rangers movie. 

PsychoGoatee

Quote from: Tordelback on 31 December, 2015, 12:44:16 AM
Pacific Rim.  How could have I gone so long before a random purchase in Aldi's bargain bin showed me the light...  This is just a terrific film from start to finish
---
The definitive Power Rangers movie.

I agree, Pacific Rim is fun stuff. And there is a Power Rangers movie in the works at the moment over in Hollywood, it will be much smaller budget and it's likelihood of being definitive is quite low... but hey maybe it'll work.  :D

The Enigmatic Dr X

Kingsman: The Secret Service

I hadn't read the comic, but disengaged my brain and had a laugh anyway. I had a blast watching it but did also start it after half a bottle of wine and consume another one and a half bottles through the film.
Lock up your spoons!

The Enigmatic Dr X

And Pacific Rim is tops.

It was a black day when the mooted sequel with Godzilla was shelved in favour of Kong v Godzilla.
Lock up your spoons!

von Boom

Rematched all three Hobbit films in extended editions. I do think the extended versions add more than they detract from the theatrical versions.

TordelBack

Snoopy and Charlie Brown: not bad at all, maybe a bit padded with (and I never thought I'd be saying this) too much Red Baron stuff, but a nice simple story, some good laughs and simply glorious animation. Very much a merging of the schmaltzy TV movies with the more fantastic elements of the comic, but not its sharper tone, but it worked, and kept 4 kids aged 3-9  attention throughout . Remind me though, didn't Patty and Marci originally attend a different school?

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Tordelback on 03 January, 2016, 05:31:02 PM
Remind me though, didn't Patty and Marci originally attend a different school?

From Charlie, yes, they did.

TordelBack

Cheers, Joe Cool. Giving the gang a shared classroom simplified things storywise, so no complaints - there was quite enough faithfulness going on elsewhere.

Terminator Salvation
.  Ah hell I dunno. I'd seen most of this film in passing chunks on TV, but never start to finish. I'd had a really low opinion of what I'd seen, but actually it's an enjoyable pretty solid SF action thing - right up to a pisspoor last half hour. There are nice new robot designs, an interesting plot, and is a refreshing departure from the previous three. Then it degenerates into predictable nonsense, factories full of convenient molten metal and liquid nitrogen, and the most pathetic Skynet you could conceive of - if you're a sentient network controlling the world's machines, how can a bloody robot factory be more dangerous to you than to the fleshy ones?  Plus Skynet's solution to the Connor/Reese/Connor paradox makes even less sense than usual. Ugh, it was so nearly there.

Mardroid

Star Wars: The Force Awakens.

For the second time, this time with a friend.

We missed the start unfortunately due to a mishap involving a ticket printing machine, but I filled in the start for my friend and we were good to go. Rather annoying just the same considering the expense of the tickets.

We both thoroughly enjoyed it though, and it was just as good, if not better on the rewatch for me. I was in a better seating position this time, which was nice.

Tiplodocus

Saturday night was a first viewing of Avengers: Age of Ultron. Sunday night was a second viewing of Ant-Man.

Ant-Man totally won with much more invention, wit, drama and tension. Special effects shotsceven made me want to look closer rather than mentally compare them to all of the other car chases, imploding skyscrapers and properrty dsmage we have seen countless times. Even the quipping was better.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Davek

Watched Ex Machina two nights ago which was very enjoyable.  A touch of Bladerunner mixed with Humans (Channel 4 series from 2015).  Great feel to the film, a few plot holes but still one of the best thing I've watched for a while.

Watched Kingsman last night.  Pretty trashy but got away with it as it was markedly irreverent to the genre.  Very rude ending as well  :-[

Also re-watched Star Wars episodes 1-3.  Some serious bad points on each but also some good plot and character development.  I haven't seen the Force Awakens...