Main Menu

Wot I Ate On My Holidays

Started by Buttonman, 03 October, 2012, 08:44:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buttonman

Another chain place next but in mitigation I didn't know it was a chain. I thought it was a wings & natcho  sports bar so we live and learn. Buffalo Wild Wings was a massive place and you can sit in the resturaunt or the bar. We chose the restuaunt which was a mistake as it was full of screaming kids.

Given their flagship status we went for the wings to start. I thought I'd be the big man and get the spicy and they were OK but well within my heat tolerance. I also had the tacos and the wife had the Caesar salad. The food was fine but unexceptional. It was also strange that everything came at once - this starter thing just hasn't caught on! The waitress said "Gee you guys must be hungry" well yeah but I wasn't expecting everything in one big heap!

Hawkmumbler

I think that smile is starting to burrow into my sole. Or maybe its just the salad...

Buttonman

That tilt head smile gets me no end of action! See you in your dreams!

Now made it to Albuquerque. This isn't my usual standad of grub stop but Breaking Bad fans will recognise the hot dog stand - at night those hot dogs light up and dive into the dog's mouth!

Not one to do an exterior shot only I ventured inside. It was busy with working people who were do doubt surprised to see a tourist snapping their hotdog stand and interrupting their lunch. I ordered a chilli dog and small Pepsi which cost about $5.

I hastened out to eat the dog in the car - all the interior seats were taken and the locals were grumbling, Although it looks disgusting it was quite tasty and I liked the crispy onions.

Frank

Those chips from the wings place look rank rotten. Did a tanker full of coleslaw wash up on an American beach in the eighties or something? They seem to be desperate to work their way through industrial quantities of the stuff, but I've never really understood what it's supposed to be for. It's certainly not there for decoration.

Buttonman

That's not slaw that's the Caesar salad!

Those chips weren't the worst but they were generally disappointing accross the trip as they were too skinny and limp. They also keep the skins on which I don't mind but I don't think it adds anything

JOE SOAP

Quote from: sauchie on 29 September, 2013, 03:31:00 PM
Back to slagging calamitous American dietary habits, I thought Funyuns were a grot pot or munce style invention by the show's writers, but research tells me they're a very real mix of extruded corn meal, onion powder and (I'm guessing) a shit load of salt. Mm-mm-mm-mm! Your dedication to experiencing absolutely everything American TV food culture has to offer is admirable, Buttonman.

We massacred bags of Funyuns (along with Jonnie Onion Rings and Chickatees) in the 80's which perplexed me when I saw them appear in Breaking Bad as I thought they were an exclusive Irish snack along with Sam Spudz but they didn't come in the equvialent size of a horse's nose-bag.

JOE SOAP

Is Buttonman fitting in an intense work-out between meals? He's looking surprisingly svelte during this foodathon- his most epic yet.

Frank

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 29 September, 2013, 08:58:01 PM
Is Buttonman fitting in an intense work-out between meals? He's looking surprisingly svelte during this foodathon- his most epic yet.

The most shameless flirting I've seen here since Judo first surfaced.

JOE SOAP

The unglamorous end of this display suggests some puking after every meal.

Buttonman

Ooh all blushing and hitching up my skirts here!

Did put on a bit of weight but not too much. Avoided snacking and had lots of long walks. On a diet again now so no new food pics until New York in December.

My second and last Albuquerque Breaking Bad food stop was at Los Pollos Hermanos the fast food front for meth kingpin Gus Fring. In reality it's a Twisters resturaunt which does Mexican food like tacos, burritos etc.

They have embraced their Breaking Bad heritage by keeping the Los Pollos mural on the wall and having a guest book for fans of the show.

The food was OK. The wife had a grilled chicken burger which she liked but my soft tacos weren't too exciting despite the guacamole and salsa on the side. I only wanted water after my hotdog stand Pepsi but when the wife went to fill my cup at the self serve soda fountain she got me some toxic blue meth like energy drink instead. Yum yum!

Frank

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 29 September, 2013, 09:34:05 PM
The unglamorous end of this display suggests some puking after every meal.

My experience of Mexican food suggests that after a few weeks of that kind of diet the weight was simply falling off (or out of) the other end of the sylph-like Buttonman. It's cute that you and the fragrant Mrs Watson have matching periodic table shirts, but top marks for never wearing them at the same time, neebs.

I thought you said you had a soft taco; are those curly fries you're holding up in the picture?

Buttonman

Indeed! The tacos were on the base of the plate with all the other crap including the curly fries piled on top. No chance you could lift it to eat as intended until you scoff 75% of the toppings first. Not exactly authentic Mexican food, not that I've been to Mexico.

Pete Wells

I believe Mr Watson has many of the same clothes as the fragrant Mrs Watson. He tends to wear them when she's out...

Loving the thread as usual BM, but damn, it's making me hungry!

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Buttonman on 29 September, 2013, 10:55:59 PM
Not exactly authentic Mexican food, not that I've been to Mexico.

That's the food-logue I want to see. Put the toilet-paper in the fridge!

Trout

Coleslaw and slaw are different things. Slaw is green and tastes like vinegar. I love it.

Or at least, this is the Canadian way.  :)