Main Menu

Wot I Ate On My Holidays

Started by Buttonman, 03 October, 2012, 08:44:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buttonman

You've changed man! (cole)slaw is basically salad!

Two quickies of nachos and wings that have been folded into the mass. Good plan for the pubs as the thirst inducing chips soon lead to more beer. This one is from a bar in the centre of old town Albuquerque.

This sports bar in Albuquerque got the prize for thw largest portion of wings -14 - and that's a starter!

TordelBack

Proudhuff

why does so much of this food look like vomit?
DDT did a job on me

TordelBack

Quote from: Proudhuff on 30 September, 2013, 11:39:06 AM
why does so much of this food look like vomit?

Cuts out the middle man.

There is a striking contrast with say the Madrid and Milan travel-hogs, where everything looked yum-diddly-yummy.  This stuff looks like work.

Buttonman

Overall the food wasn't as good as Milan or San Sebastien but to be fair we weren't going to fine dining establishments, favouring Sports bars and micro breweries. I enjoyed nearly every meal (stay tuned!) but few were memorable beyond being part of a good night.

This is from one of the wife's favourite places - Cracker Barrel. There are hundreds of these all over the states and they sell themselves as an olde world place with home cooked vittals. It is really well done done to the motherly waitresses and games on the table. The restaurant is attached to a massive gift shop that sells loads of nostalgic stuff like old TV shows and candy. Although breakfast was a modest $30 we were $100 in the hole before I dragged the wife out.

Here I am enjoying some tasty pancakes. These were lovely and nice and crispy around the edges. You also get a modest bottle of syrup which could drown a hippo. It came with two eggs (I had mine scrambled) and some bacon which was a bit thick but an enjoyable chew all the same.

Buttonman

Ever the tourist wanting to immerse myself in local culture and food we went to this Brazilian joint over the road from our hotel in Albuquerque. I couldn't make out what the menu was on about but it was busy so we went in anyway.

The deal is you pay $25 for unlimited salad bar - and this mother was massive - as well as all you can eat grilled meats. Chaps like the fella pictured below come to your table and announce what they have and you can take some or await the next person. Apart from pineapple they were all meats and it was all you could scoff. The meat was amazing and I regreted not following my father's eternal advice of 'Don't fill up on bread'.

We stayed an hour but it looked like people stayed the night with one chap not falling into the salad trap and just piling his plate high with all meats as he loosened his belt.

Trout

Quote from: Buttonman on 30 September, 2013, 08:11:26 AM
You've changed man! (cole)slaw is basically salad

Yes, but a little dish of slaw accompanies a massive plate of MEAT.

The Doctor Alt 8

I hope you didn't spend your entire time abroad eatting...

Buttonman

This was a strange restaurant in Gallup New Mexico called 'Avalon'. Not strange per say but it was run and, apart from us, completely patronised by native Americans. Nothing wrong with that and they were very friendly and welcoming. What was strange that throughout our meal a never ending stream of pedlars stopped at our and every other table to offer us beads, blankets, pottery etc. The management allowed it and they was a queue of traders waiting their turn.

The food was OK but nothing exceptional. I'm shown with my tacos and adding some green chillies - New Mexico's state question is 'Red or Green' which is asking how hot you can take it in chilli terms. Never sure what was hotter as years of hot sauce have rendered me impervious to all spice based pain!

Hawkmumbler

Once again, this thread is amazing.

The Doctor Alt 8

Get this man a shami kebab diabolo...

Proudhuff

DDT did a job on me

Buttonman

Cheer Tom, always a great help.

This happy chap is enjoying a nice meal in the restaurant of the Hotel 'El Rancho' in Gallup. This is on Route 66 and the place was full of people recreating the fantastic film 'Wild Hogs'.

As well as a Pacifico beer (the latest of many, it would seem) he is enjoying fajitas which came with a prepackaged tub of sour cream and some nice homemade salsa. The chicken was very nice and was cooked well with onions and green peppers. The only citicism was that it came with only two tortillas! I guess I could have reloaded but by the time I thought to ask I'd eaten all my chicken!

Spikes

Can you get Fish and Chips in America?

Frank

Quote from: Judge Jack on 02 October, 2013, 06:43:28 PM
Can you get Fish and Chips in America?

Judging by Buttonman's peripatetic pie hole filling, you only appear to be able to get food which is either red, white or green in New Mexico - so you'd have to ask for tomato sauce and mushy peas. Having said that, the veggie Bolognese I'm currently making occupies the same territory on the Dulux colour chart.