Main Menu

I could have sworn I read that before....

Started by Thread Zero, 17 January, 2002, 04:35:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thread Zero

Interesting facts for you all.

SPOILER************************

This week's Dredd tale by Alan Grant has exactly the same ending (the note) as a story he wrote in the Megazine Volume 1, No 10, dated July 1991.

That story was called The Gipper's Big Night Out and was about mutants entering the city from the west wall. The words on the note are identical in both stories.

Also Wagner wrote a Dredd tale last year about a talking gun on the rampage, which was exactly the same as one he wrote for 2k after the Dredd movie just came out. Way back in 1995.

I told you it was interesting!

scojo

Dominic O'Rourke

I felt the same about it, I alos felt that the editorial tried to connect it with sept 11, which I don't evfen think there where any similarities.
Member No. 10

Thread Zero

The Dredd tale was Blaster Buddy by Wagner, art by Anthony Williams. Prog 954.

About a gun that thought it was a soldier.

Then last year Wagner gave us Gun Runner. Art by Cliff Robinson. Prog 1229.

About a gun that thought it was a soldier.

Identical!

Scojo who knows so much useless trivia it's quite scary...

Thread Zero

Dorourke, your typing is worse than mone, I mean mine!

:O))))))))))))))))))

Sorry I lost you! You mean it was similar? I don't see the connection with sept 11 though!

scojo

Thread Zero

Oh right, you mean the editorial on the nerve centre!

Sorry, I didn't realise!

Bit slow today am I.

Mr Smith, I mean Mr Tharg was comparing Dredd's world to real life, wasn't he?

I must admit I never saw the connection between mutants and oppressed groups of present day.

But now I think of it, it's so damned obvious!

DOH!

Although I don't think Tharg was referring to Sep 11. Or maybe I missed something there?

scojo so slow, the tortoise is doing a lap of honour

Matt

To be fair, the strip would have been finished before the events of September 11th and the editors were probably just covering their arses incase any of us readers were niave enough to think it was bad taste.

Matt

Speaking of talking guns, anyone remember Major Magnum?

Mudcrab

I felt that the very word "Terrorist!" made you instantly think, 'He's going to blow something up', Dredd got him with customary force, then it turns out all he was doing was chucking some leaflets about. Think it shows what the general population now assumes whenever the word terrorist is used, after September, the eh, what was it, oh yeah, 11th. What with all the extra powers pushed through by Judge Straw, who's to say what a terrorist is? And if they tell you it's a terrorist you can lie back and go "aaah, we're being protected". But is it? What really goes on?

Ok, that's enough, I'll go now before this turns into a paranoid rant! I liked it though. Always good to see Ian Gibson stuff.

Doug
NEGOTIATION'S OVER!

paulvonscott

Major Magnum was actually quite scary when I first read it.  I always enjoyed it when more GI's turned up though.  Venus Bluegenes and er.. that other blue lady.

McNulty

It'd Dredd's attitude that I can't pin down. In some stories, He's sympathetic to the plight of the mutant, even comming to their defence while other judges treat them as vermin. Then in other stories, he sees them as nothing but a threat to be destroyed - "Double our strike rate against the West Wall mutie Settlements. Put a little fear in 'em". It's this inconsistency I find confusing.

paulvonscott

Yes interesting isn't it.  If you look at Wagner and Grant's seperate stuff.  Grant just plays him as a cold hearted b*stard.  Wagner and Mills always made him a bit more sympathetic to muties from Novar onwards... and more of a human being.

I liked the Dredd story but it was one that was just unrelentingly harsh.  You could understand Dredd shooting the skysurfer, if he hadn't more people might of died.  I don't even think Dredd would have (although he did) then say they should bomb the muties a bit more.

Alan Grant once said that the worse they make Dredd the more people like him.  I have to say I think that has a cut off point that Grant normally goes beyond.  Dredd may be a bit of a b*stard, but he's not a complet c**t.

Not that I'm saying he can't tell a good tale.

Thread Zero

Alan Grant thinks Dredd is a thug. Wagner does not.

scojo

Leigh S

The beauty of the Wagner/Grant writing partnership was this tension between the writers. Wagner stopped Grant from showing Dredd as a one-dimensional bully and Grant made sure Dredd was never shown in too sympathetic a light, so you were nevr sure whether to boo or cheer.  

Grant's solo Dredd's (and his Andersons)have often show a complete misreading of the appeal of the character. This week's Dredd is just plain wrong.  The line about doubling the strike rate against the mutants is the kind of thing you'd expect from Mark Millar!

Thread Zero

Ah but John Wagner's original Dredd was to be absolutely ruthless.

He had this idea of a jay walker or something. Anyway Dredd shoots him in the legs cos he's croosing the street. Dredd then says, you got a minute (or less) to get off the road.
If the perp doesn't get off the road in time, Dredd kills him.

Seems reasonable to me.

scojo Dredd

Leigh S

But surely the point is, Wagner approves of Dredd blowing away jaywalkers!  

Dredds 'original writer', a certain 'John Howard', was described by Wagner as a secret collector of Nazi memorabilia!  Wagner has always said that while Dredd is an absolute bastard, the world could do with a little bit of Dredd to take out the real scum, whereas Grant sees only the bad in Dredd, which is probably more PC, but makes for less interesting stories...