Main Menu

Prog 2118 - Enemies of the State

Started by 73north, 09 February, 2019, 03:46:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard

QuoteMakes perfect sense but still unexpected.
That is the epitome of masterful storytelling. When something is far from obvious and yet when it happens it seems totally plausible.

The bit about Fargo was the only bad part of that episode, for me. I just can't believe that the judges would disclose any of that to the public. That bit should have been cut. (I felt the same way when they told the public that Dredd executed Chief Judge Silver in prog 1178.)

sheridan

Quote from: I, Cosh on 13 February, 2019, 12:53:43 AM
What can you say? Dredd and Brink utterly outstanding. Dread, Hershey and their differences dwarfed by MacNeil's vision of MegaCity One. Culbard's facial expressions and body language make five pages of delusional ramblings utterly electrifying and fraught with potential.

other stuff decent.

What do you mean, delusional?  The shadow biosphere is real, I tell you, real!

sheridan

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 13 February, 2019, 01:48:01 PM
Seems like Harvey's story is another mini-epic in the making to test Dredd's beliefs that just crept up from behind, and as ever, it's playing out brilliantly.

Interesting side detail for me is that the story of Fargo's missing body, and his subsequent return, is public knowledge.

That line gave me pause to think as well - can't imagine why it would have been made public knowledge, but then it's been a long time since I read Origins.  Then again, it led to the other Fargos, and mutants in general, gaining entry to the Big Meg...

DrRocka

3 out of 5 for me this week, but by Grud, those 3 are by far the best thing I've read in AGES. Only Skip Tracer and Jaegir not grabbing me, but the others were so good I don't care. And THAT Dredd... absolute classic.
Thrillshocked over here. Cheers Tharg.
Never ever bloody anything ever

Andy Lambert

I have the most minor of gripes with the prog, specifically Judge Dredd - so minor it's probably a little churlish to mention it, but with such a surprising turn of events, I just wish the reveal had been on the left page instead of the right, because being placed on the right I had figured out the reveal before I got to it.
Like I said, it's a REALLY minor niggle...
Otherwise, the story continues to be compelling and brilliantly written and illustrated. The Mega-City landscape is breathtaking, to the point I actually said "Oh wow..." out loud, and I just love Wagner's handling of the two friends of old, conveying so much history and experience in a handful of lines. Just brilliant.
No wonder everyone sits up and pays extra attention when Wagner is on writing duties.

norton canes

Ha, the right/left page thing gets me too sometimes. If I'm readin any story and I think there might be a shock reveal coming up, I'll carefully turn the page so that the right-hand side is folded under.

Tiplodocus

Be excellent to each other. And party on!

sheridan

Quote from: Andy Lambert on 16 February, 2019, 10:28:46 AM
I have the most minor of gripes with the prog, specifically Judge Dredd - so minor it's probably a little churlish to mention it, but with such a surprising turn of events, I just wish the reveal had been on the left page instead of the right, because being placed on the right I had figured out the reveal before I got to it.
Like I said, it's a REALLY minor niggle...

I disagree - I reveals like that should be set up on the recto page so that they can be shown on the verso page (the word verso deriving from 'turned' or 'changed').  Many here will be spoiled though, as the absolute master of the craft would have been starting his career in these very pages (Alan Moore, early 1980s).

Magnetica

Even all these years later I still think of the ruined reveal of old Ben in Harry 20 on the High Rock  :'(

broodblik

Quote from: Magnetica on 17 February, 2019, 07:01:48 PM
Even all these years later I still think of the ruined reveal of old Ben in Harry 20 on the High Rock  :'(

Put it on the cover to make it so much easier for everyone.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Magnetica

titchard

Read the Dredd part last night - excellent story and loving how it's evolving.  When he mentioned about a new council I saw it coming that he was going to put the RoboJudge on it, and love how it's creating that tension.

Judge Olde

I think recent Dredd stories have ruined me  :)
Re read Small House & already re read Machine Law
I can't wait until Wednesday