Main Menu

Current TV Boxset Addiction

Started by radiator, 20 November, 2012, 02:23:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 10 October, 2017, 06:37:03 PM
Researching Season 1 of Game of Thrones. More shaggi g and less big onscreen battles but the main realisation is how much character motivation and ambition I missed. It's all laid out.

I love how much stuff you pick up on with the supporting characters on a re-watch. As a non-reader of the books (circa S1, at least) it took the re-watch to realise that Jeor Mormon was Jorah's father and that the sword he later gives Jon is rightfully Jorah's... something that doesn't pay off until S7, [spoiler]when Jon tries to give it back. [/spoiler]
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Link Prime

Quote from: CrazyFoxMachine on 03 October, 2017, 07:47:36 PM
Quote from: radiator on 03 October, 2017, 05:31:57 PM
The Deuce on HBO. Just watched the feature-length pilot last night - it's the new series by the creator of The Wire (which I shamefully still have not seen).

Wow. Recommended.

Double this

Me Two.

Seems to be a crazy amount of top class TV out there vying for my limited attention, but they had me at HBO / David Simon.
A perfectly realised microcosm of 70's sleaze, with a genuine heart of gold.

Franco is magnetic. Gyllenhaal is stunning.
Seemingly out of nowhere this is currently the best thing I'm watching. AAA recommendation.

radiator

Yep, I only heard about it's existence when the trailer played in front of Game of Thrones.

Completely hooked - we're up to date now and have to wait til Sunday for the next ep...! It's phenomenally good.

Hawkmumbler

Yeah, sorry Jim, but Greg M. is right, rewatching Inferno not only do I still feel it holds up but I like it even more, everything you highlighted is addressed, "glacially paced" is just unfair personal preference because SO much happens in the 7 episodes presented....God, it's just DAMN GOOD classic Who IMHO.

Also, staying with family this weekend. Apparently my sisters show of choice right now Powerpuff Girls....not, not THAT one, we don't talk about that one, the original. And it's damn good all ages cartooning. Really good. And the answer is Buttercup.

TordelBack

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 13 October, 2017, 03:39:03 PM
Yeah, sorry Jim, but Greg M. is right

Ahem. I think you'll note that I specifically said that the story is well-regarded and acknowledged that I am very much an outlier with my "steaming pile of old shite" opinion. I'm not trying to convince anyone of my rightness, I'm just utterly baffled that otherwise nominally-sane people consider it a classic.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Hawkmumbler

And thats all fair enough, and neither was I trying to decry that point of view, however a lot of the stuff you brought up against the serial doesn't really hold up under scrutiny I felt after my rewatch.

radiator

The Sopranos.

Third time round for me, it's one I return to every few years, and it just gets better with age. Greatest TV show of all time? It's certainly in the running. Every actor, every performance. Every single scene packed with nuance and keenly observed human behaviour. So ahead of it's time it's a miracle it ever got off the ground in the media landscape it emerged in. Just flawless.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: radiator on 22 October, 2017, 11:18:44 PM
The Sopranos.

Third time round for me, it's one I return to every few years, and it just gets better with age. Greatest TV show of all time? It's certainly in the running. Every actor, every performance. Every single scene packed with nuance and keenly observed human behaviour. So ahead of it's time it's a miracle it ever got off the ground in the media landscape it emerged in. Just flawless.

Arh I love that show. Really is about time I did a re-watch...

Satanist

Just finished season 2 of Stranger Things and its a worthy sequel that the whole family thoroughly enjoyed.

And yeah the Deuce is currently my favourite show too.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

moly

Stranger things 2 loved the second series really good and great cast of characters

Hawkmumbler

The Tripods

Nabbed the entire series box set for a song, been meaning to watch it for quiet some time. It has all the hallmarks of BBC sci-fi of the period (at least it doesn't have the naff zero gravity shots of Star Cops!) both good and ill, but what stands out throughout the first season is just how...bleak, it all is. And though the 2nd series did away with this largely in exchange for high camp (those white jump suits! Good lord!) it still ends on a true shocker that is made all the more harrowing for no true third season.

An over looked gem? Certainly, but lower your expectations for season 2. ;)

Greg M.

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 04 November, 2017, 11:21:10 AM
The Tripods

I think the first series starts very well and ends very well, but flags in the middle - all that hanging about at the Chateau Ricordeau gets a bit tiresome. Highpoints for me: the episode in Paris, and that weird bit in the woods with the crazies who've constructed a kind of rustic Tripod idol. Lowpoints: the guy playing Henry can't act.

Haven't seen series 2 in an age, but I indeed remember it being mad and extremely camp. It is a shame they never got a third series though, to cap it all off (and kill Henry.)

Colin YNWA

You know there's times when watching Twin Peaks that I catch myself wondering whether its holds up. I mean while I still love it, is that just because what it meant to me growing up? Cos of just how far ahead of its time it was back in the day.

Then you watch Episode 2.7... the one when we find out who killed Laura Palmer and you realise no, the reason you love it is because at its best its probably the best television ever made.

... Now lets see how the tricky middle period fares these days...

Satanist

Well I blasted through The Punisher over the weekend and thought it could have been a couple less episodes with the story it told but apart from that it was great.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?