Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
General / Re: Dredd Megazine Question
« Last post by broodblik on Today at 03:58:14 am »
All of the above, plus the next issue is the landmark #400 — a ‘jumping on’ issue. It also has the return of ‘Lawless’, one of the best strips in either the Prog or Meg of recent years. If you were thinking of starting reading, I honestly couldn’t recommend it enough.

Couldn't agree with Jim more on this.....the meg is consistently excellent.  Lawless is also my favourite story of recent years (....andthe artwork is consistently breathtaking) and worth the price of admission on its own.

Yes, I agree. The Meg is really excellent and a well balanced publication. Not only do you get at a few Dreddverse stories but also  stories that is little bit different like Strange Brigade (a strip based upon Rebellions up and coming video game). You also get some create diverse articles.
Other Reviews / Re: The Vigilant
« Last post by broodblik on Today at 03:50:38 am »
Another character that is returning which is never mentioned anywhere is Max the Computer and the Thirteenth Floor
Off Topic / Re: Where the dust goes to gather - comics variant
« Last post by Trout on Today at 03:15:49 am »
Sorry, I forgot. The Fortress of Zarjazity has seen significant progress. I'll collect up the pics from various stages of completion and try to post this weekend.
Prog / Re: Prog 2094 - The Order Meet The Edge - Walker
« Last post by Trout on Today at 03:12:26 am »
I like demonic robots.
Prog / Re: Prog 2094 - The Order Meet The Edge - Walker
« Last post by Fungus on Today at 02:41:31 am »
Rory McConville says “ A lot of my stories use captions to move the story along, because you must keep a story accelerating as much as possible so you use whatever narrative tools you have.”
Fair enough. The problem for me is that these big blocks of text do the opposite for pacing, and slow things down. Perhaps it's their sheer volume in some of his Dredd strips. Like I said, it at times feels like you're reading illustrated prose rather than a comic. (Or perhaps it's in part because with Dredd I'm used to terse Wagner caption use.)

Well, exactly. Captions don't move things along!

Film & TV / Re: Star Wars Episode IX
« Last post by radiator on 15 August, 2018, 11:42:28 pm »
The humour was probably the single weakest element of TLJ for me. I like humour in an action adventure film, but I also think it's important to know when it's appropriate and when to ease off on it. (I think the Marvel movies are generally pretty good at this). But there's no consistency to the approach and tone of the humour in TLJ - it seems like they're just throwing everything at the wall in a slightly sweaty, desperate way to endear the film to the audience. The steam iron bit was downright bizarre - on a level with Chewie's Tarzan impression in Jedi as just seeming really out of place and distracting. A very odd choice.
Film & TV / Re: New Rogue Trooper Film!!
« Last post by radiator on 15 August, 2018, 11:31:42 pm »
Said it before, but Button Man and Kingdom would be the two 2000ad properties most suited for movie adaptation in my opinion (BM as live action, Kingdom as an animation). Leviathan would also make a great premise for a TV series.
Books & Comics / Re: Scream & Misty Special 2018
« Last post by Professor Bear on 15 August, 2018, 10:35:35 pm »
That picture has been up nearly two hours and not a single person - not even Tips - has made a joke about Misty having a ginger pussy.  What the fuck is happening to this forum?
General / Re: Dredd Megazine Question
« Last post by SIP on 15 August, 2018, 10:33:21 pm »
All of the above, plus the next issue is the landmark #400 — a ‘jumping on’ issue. It also has the return of ‘Lawless’, one of the best strips in either the Prog or Meg of recent years. If you were thinking of starting reading, I honestly couldn’t recommend it enough.

Couldn't agree with Jim more on this.....the meg is consistently excellent.  Lawless is also my favourite story of recent years (....andthe artwork is consistently breathtaking) and worth the price of admission on its own.
Off Topic / Re: The Political Thread
« Last post by Tjm86 on 15 August, 2018, 10:33:12 pm »
Sharkey's political views have frequently caused consternation in these parts but I can't help wondering if at present we aren't seeing concrete evidence of the validity of his views.  Trump in the states and the Tories in the UK are co-opting discontent for their own ends.  People have legitimate complaints and concerns yet what we are seeing are 'solutions' that potentially are likely to make situations worse for complainants. 

Personally I'm torn.  On the one hand I see a legitimate need for social action in support of those who struggle to meet the challenges that they face but on the other hand the rationale behind the support they provide is often questionable or contested.  I question whether I have the right to intervene where I see need but at the same time I also worry about the consequences if I fail to do so.  I see a need for some sort of socially responsible framework of support but I worry about the political imperatives that drive it.  Do I have the right to impose my priorities on those around me?  Am I complicit if I fail to act in support of legitimate need?

What we seem to be seeing at the moment though is certain groups tapping into this confusion.  There is an argument that governments are over-reaching rather than a sensible debate about social and political organisation.  Brexit has been cast as 'taking back control' when it is becoming increasingly apparent that it is more a case of consolidating control from some quarters.  Cross-juristidictional governance is about compromise and acceptance.  there may well be a cost implication but the bigger question is how does that stack up against the benefits?  If 'governments' are too concerned with a narrow constituency then how valid is their mandate?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10