Main Menu

Science is Drokking Fantastic Because...

Started by The Legendary Shark, 21 July, 2011, 11:05:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

von Boom

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 04 January, 2019, 08:20:59 AM
Quote from: Funt Solo on 03 January, 2019, 06:56:38 PM

Plus evidence.

The comments... Oh, God, I read the comments...!

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders—the most famous of which is, "Never get involved in a land war in Asia"—but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never read the comments!"

The Legendary Shark

Fascinating stuff. There's going to be some really cool process behind this - like quivering quasars or palsied pulsars.

Gotta' love that Universe!

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Dandontdare

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 09 January, 2019, 08:41:46 PM
There's going to be some really cool process behind this - like quivering quasars or palsied pulsars.

yeah, that's what THEY want you to think.  :-X

JayzusB.Christ

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

ZenArcade

I'm not versed on the case against dark matter shark.... Could you shine some light on it?  Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

von Boom

Tomorrow is 50 years since the first moon landing. Nasa has some things going on.

https://www.nasa.gov/

Dandontdare

Quote from: von Boom on 19 July, 2019, 03:30:09 PM
Tomorrow is 50 years since the first moon landing. Nasa has some things going on.

https://www.nasa.gov/

Just back from the Blue Dot festival at Jodrell bank, which, as you might expect, was very moon-themed this year. Every night from 12-3am they played Apollo 11 radio chatter across the fields, with accompanying lights and words projected onto the Lovell Telescope, very inspiring to go to sleep to.

Also heard a nice anecdote about how they got the thing built - the radio-astronomers were always looked down on by "proper" astronomers, and they couldn't persuade the government to fund them ... until the Russians put Sputnik up and Bernard Lovell casually mentioned "oh yes, we could track that ... or anything else they put up" ... and all of a sudden, the chequebooks opened!

Tjm86

TordelBack

Quote from: Dandontdare on 23 July, 2019, 09:16:16 AM
Just back from the Blue Dot festival at Jodrell bank, which, as you might expect, was very moon-themed this year. Every night from 12-3am they played Apollo 11 radio chatter across the fields, with accompanying lights and words projected onto the Lovell Telescope, very inspiring to go to sleep to.

Never heard of this festival, it sounds amazing.  Tell us more!

Dandontdare

Quote from: TordelBack on 23 July, 2019, 01:37:25 PM
Quote from: Dandontdare on 23 July, 2019, 09:16:16 AM

Never heard of this festival, it sounds amazing.  Tell us more!

Lovely festival - https://www.discoverthebluedot.com/home - all the usual array of big and small stages plus dance tents etc, plus delicious but overpriced food and beer; but all in the shadow of the mighty Lovell telescope and with loads of family-friendly science talks and hands-on events. This year, you could smell space, meet the Clangers and record messages which were beamed from a telescope in the Netherlands, bounced of the actual motherflipping moon, and then relayed to one of the Jodrell bank telescopes to be played to the crowd.

Of the bands, Hot Chip were pretty meh, Kraftwerk were good but went on too long; 808 state were ace, and New Order were mindblowing. Fell asleep each afternoon and missed Jarvis Cocker, Anna Calvi and Henge. New finds for the weekend for me were Oshun and Easy All Stars.

They went totally cashless this year - I object to this on principle but it did work very smoothly - you load cash onto your wristband and use that to pay for literally everything on-site. So by the end of each night I'm lurching around like a drunk but wealthy zombie holding my wrist out for more chicken and beer. Painful checking my balance each morning!