Main Menu

2000 AD - The Ultimate Collection

Started by Molch-R, 27 February, 2017, 06:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tomwe

Quote2000 AD: The Ultimate Collection
Hi Dan, Issue 15 will include The Sad Case; Traitor to His Kind; Shaggy Dog Story; The Glum Affair; The Mork Whisperer
So that's the colour stronts book Traitor to His Kind, presumably coming after Kreeler Conspiracy on the shelf.

abelardsnazz

Quote from: sintec on 18 February, 2018, 11:56:03 AM
ABC Warriors is definitely a book of 2 halves, the chronological gap between The Meknificent Seven and The Black Hole is really apparent.  Enjoyed both for different reasons but The Black Hole is where it really kicked off for me.  The art is stunning and the story is less "childish", for want of a better word.  Can't wait for the next volume and the conclusion of that arc.

Is it just me or does the Meknificent Seven epilogue come out of nowhere?
Feels like it's trying to crowbar the story into continuity with some earlier stuff (presumably Ro-Busters).  Normally epilogues are there to tie up some loose ends and that one felt like it left more questions than it answered.  Not really a major complaint it was just a somewhat confusing (and from my perspective completley unnecessary) ending to the story.

Agreed. The genesis of the original run and issues with it are given in the article at the end of the volume, and while it wasn't ideal in Pat Mills' eyes to have lots of different artists working on the strip, it's a bonus to see a showcase for the Prog's talent of the time to give their takes on these characters. And while the prologue and epilogue don't really fit, it's great to see some work from Kevin O'Neill that I hadn't seen before.

With the Black Hole, the more mature storytelling fits perfectly into the Nemesis universe, and SMS delivers some incredible art alongside Bisley. Hopefully not too long before the next book.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: abelardsnazz on 19 February, 2018, 10:11:18 AM
The genesis of the original run and issues with it are given in the article at the end of the volume, and while it wasn't ideal in Pat Mills' eyes to have lots of different artists working on the strip, it's a bonus to see a showcase for the Prog's talent of the time to give their takes on these characters.

The nice thing about these volumes is that the intros and articles can really help put some odd things in context.
@jamesfeistdraws

IndigoPrime

The articles in both collections have been rather good. I just hope there are fewer in the 2000 AD one that, when you get to the end of a book, basically sum things up by saying: "Well, that was a load of shite, wasn't it?" Because, frankly, why then print it?

Arkady

Quote from: sintec on 18 February, 2018, 11:56:03 AM
ABC Warriors is definitely a book of 2 halves, the chronological gap between The Meknificent Seven and The Black Hole is really apparent.  Enjoyed both for different reasons but The Black Hole is where it really kicked off for me.  The art is stunning and the story is less "childish", for want of a better word.  Can't wait for the next volume and the conclusion of that arc.

Couldn't agree more. The early stuff is fun but juvenile, but the Black Hole is gorgeous and totally involving - it feels like the spin-off/sequel to Nemesis that it is. And both Bisley and SMS are extremely talented - though quite different in style.

oddballuk

Quote from: Tomwe on 19 February, 2018, 10:04:59 AM
Quote2000 AD: The Ultimate Collection
Hi Dan, Issue 15 will include The Sad Case; Traitor to His Kind; Shaggy Dog Story; The Glum Affair; The Mork Whisperer
So that's the colour stronts book Traitor to His Kind, presumably coming after Kreeler Conspiracy on the shelf.

Now up on the Hachette site: https://hachettepartworks.com/2000-ad-the-ultimate-collection/strontium-dog-traitor-to-his-kind

abelardsnazz

So SD's being issued out of order? Or does it make sense because of jumps in continuity after the Final Solution?

Who's the cover artist?

IndigoPrime

Looks more like they're issuing it in two strands: classic and modern, and those at least will be (broadly speaking) in order. That said, the modern book we've already had doesn't print the strips entirely chronologically. (Not that it probably matters too much.)

Arkady

Also, as a general principle with the Collection they seem to try to release one 'new' and one classic strip per month. They haven't been entirely consistent with this (e.h. ABC and Rogue Trooper Vol.1s this month) but it looks like a rule-of-thumb. I'm guessing that releasing Traitor To His Kind alongside Nemesis Vol.3 is in part to follow this pattern?

Tomwe

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 20 February, 2018, 10:53:17 AM
Looks more like they're issuing it in two strands: classic and modern, and those at least will be (broadly speaking) in order. That said, the modern book we've already had doesn't print the strips entirely chronologically. (Not that it probably matters too much.)
Wonder if they'll do the same for Slaine. The next Slaine book was never formally recognised as 'volume 1', simply the next time it would appear. Though I would rather read McMahon's Slaine next personally.

Jade Falcon

I too noticed the few bits of 'faded' artwork in ABC Warriors, but not that much. I didn't particularly enjoy the Black Hole for the first couple of parts, partially due to the contrast in art styles and story narrative but once I got used to it I did thoroughly enjoy it.
When the truth offends, we lie and lie until we can no longer remember it is even there, but it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid. That is how an RBMK reactor core explodes. Lies. - Valery Legasov

Colin YNWA

Cannco

Hi all,
I recently signed up for the ultimate collection, used to be a reader in the 80's and lost touch with 2000ad and am enjoying the trip down memory lane as well as the new stuff.

I know about the spine reprint issue, but I still haven't received #9 or #10 or the dvd...but I have received 11/12/13/14. Has anyone else who subscribes had the same problem? I've called Hachette partworks and they told me #9 and #10 are in the process of being resent.

Cannco

Arkady

Is anyone else's spine on Volume 11 a bit dodgy? I've just noticed that the spine art starts a bit too far to the right and wraps around slightly towards the cover.

Also - and sorry if we've covered this - are we expecting 5 Rogue Trooper volumes? And if so is that enough room to cover everything in Tales of Nu-Earth 1-4? I think the latter covers all printed Rogue Trooper... except the Friday stuff?

Mattofthespurs

My volume 11 looks fine. Nothing bleeding onto the front or back.