Main Menu

Meg 386 - Last Breath

Started by Richard, 16 July, 2017, 12:35:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard

Nick Percival's art, as always, is fantastic.

Banners

Is the spaceship the Imperial Battlecruiser from Star Fleet?

Max Headroom

Won't be picking this up until Wednesday - could someone say how the new Dark Judges' story is shaping up?

Eamonn Clarke

Looks great. Starts pretty much how you would imagine it to. DJs floating in space, passing spaceship etc but it's early days yet.

CalHab

It starts off with a necessary, but extraordinarily improbable, event, then has a bit of scene setting. I imagine the gore will start in earnest next month. Lovely art.

A.Cow

Quote from: Richard on 16 July, 2017, 12:35:08 AM
Nick Percival's art, as always, is fantastic.

Nick Percival's soft-focus art is great ... but, personally, I was blown away by Jake Lynch's amazing work on this month's Dredd.  More please!

Freddychopper

New Dark Judges story off to a good start (only thing I've read so far!). Lovely art from Nick Percival that just oozes atmosphere and dread. Interested to see where this all goes...Off to work, enjoy the sunshine and read the rest when I get back

Tjm86

To be honest this month's meg has, I would say, put the prog to shame.  I would say that Lynch has turned in some of his best art to date on Dredd.  Great to see Heston back and looks like we're going to see even more of him.  Anderson and Havn were the weaker strips for me.  I think I kinda lost what was going on at the start of Havn so it tends to be a bit WTF at times.  Another movie world Dredd and then finally getting to the start of Dominion.

I can understand why they bagged London Falling with this.  Your mind is so overloaded you don't notice how dire it is.

Mardroid

I really enjoyed that Meg, although I found Havn really confusing. Maybe a reread of the whole thing will make things clearer.

I loved the They Live reference in the Judge Dredd strip. So funny.

One thing that's been puzzling me about the Dark Judges: in an earlier Dark Judges story it  was established that Dark Judges had to possess someone with psi abilities if they wanted a new host.

In a lot of later stories they seem to just be able to possess anyone. Was an explanation ever given for this change, or was the original psi rule just ignored?

Tjm86

Don't really recall that being the rule tbh but I am willing to be corrected.  The second story saw Death possessing a non-PSI to get Anderson released for a start.  I've a passing recollection of PJ Maybe having a brush with them as well but not sure if they did actually possess him.

I, Cosh

Vaguely recall they needed a psi to bridge the dimension gap from Deadworld but once they're already here anyone's fair game.
We never really die.

I, Cosh

This month's Meg sorely misses a standout strip like Lawless, but it's not all doom and gloom.

The first Harry Heston story was a decent effort and a lovely gesture from all concerned. This month's reprise is simply outstanding. Hands down the best thing Wyatt has written for Tharg and wonderful art from Lynch. The panel where Dredd eventually comes face to face with our hero is a joy: the pose, the tension, the quip, everything works.

Sadly, the Movie Dredd strip is not of the same quality. I've enjoyed previous efforts to combine the two worlds but this one, introducing the popular "Dredd is quite simply a bastard" thead falls flat. Maybe it's just that the setup is overly familiar, or that a crying child always makes me thing of Robbie Morrison's Dredd, but this felt very weak.

The two old lags both pull out the same trick of letting the artist tell large parts of the story without too much interference.

Paul Marshall is given pages of Anderson with only a couple of speech bubbles to get in the way of the action and handles it with aplomb. Pretty sure Grant has used the central joke in this episode before, only with wrestling, but it's an enjoyable installment and the ending leaves me wanting more.

On the other side of the bench, Wagner gives his man the opportunity to go wild on our initial reintroduction to Death and the lads. I dislike almost everything about Nick Percival's art style, but these opening pages where he gets to go crazy with the discorporated, demonic forms are pretty nice. That's over all too soon and it's back to business as usual as we learn about where they're going to establish their Dominion and who's going to die horribly. Wagner would have to put in some serious effort to write an actively bad story but there's a sliding scale of how interested I am and this is very close to the bottom.

Quote from: Mardroid on 20 July, 2017, 01:03:59 AM
I really enjoyed that Meg, although I found Havn really confusing. Maybe a reread of the whole thing will make things clearer.
I'll be doing the same (I always do) but I'm not sure how much this will help. Great Flint art in service of a story which seems to be leaping around in hard to understand ways. I don't mean between the real and faerie worlds - that part is clear - but the physical locations in the city of HAVN itself.

Haven't read a floppy for a while but I remember really enjoying London Falling at the time so I'll give it a look over the weekend.
We never really die.

CalHab

Has there been an explanation of why Havn has changed artists mid-story?

Frank

Quote from: I, Cosh on 20 July, 2017, 10:02:16 AM
I dislike almost everything about Nick Percival's art style, but these opening pages where he gets to go crazy with the discorporated, demonic forms are pretty nice ... Wagner would have to put in some serious effort to write an actively bad story but there's a sliding scale of how interested I am and this is very close to the bottom.

We are not so different, you and I.

Judge Death Lives (225) identifies Mitson as a possible host for Death because he's a psi, and Necropolis (669) shows Mortis in spirit form trying (and failing) to inhabit just any old corpse, but by The Three Amigos (Meg 2.5) Death's able to hop between anyone he fancies.

Most recently, Day Of Chaos (1789) had Death's rhythm section showing that same ability to possess random, living strangers. It's all just bollocks, made up by a man.