Main Menu

Does that work in real life?

Started by Proudhuff, 19 December, 2017, 11:24:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dandontdare

and if you filed the corners off a 50p you could use it in machines as a 10p ... err... wait  :-\

Eric Plumrose

More on topic (kinda):

That sound downstairs you hear during the night in all likelihood isn't a serial killer. Which is why you check, assuming you can be arsed. So next time some would-be film critic declares a movie character "stupid" for doing exactly that, break into said critic's house at, say, 0300 hours and gut them if they slope on down.
Not sure if pervert or cheesecake expert.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Dandontdare on 19 December, 2017, 04:15:55 PM
igniting a puddle of petrol with a tossed cigarette is the one that bugs me. Wouldn't recommend it as it may occasionally work, but most of the time - nah

I don't even what to know how you know that... last time I saw you I'm sure you had all your eye brows!

SuperSurfer

I used to think that the convenient knockout punch that would put someone to sleep in a film or tv fight was nonsense.

After years of experience (of watching WorldstarHipHop YouTube videos) I see that really does happen. All too often.

Heath C Ackley

Here's another one:

Despite every 80's action flick and GTA, cars don't explode if you shoot them with normal rounds. They do if incendiary rounds are used but not standard bullets. I've read that the same goes for flamethrowers. In Battleground you take them out by blasting the fuel tanks on their backs. Nope. Hit the compressed air supply and it'll go boom-boom but a shot to the fuel tank will only leave a hole.

Please note that I have no experience of the above subjects! It all comes from wacky Wikipedia and other online sources for an art project. Do not try this at home!
"Give a man a mask and he will give you the truth."

Jim_Campbell

On the other hand, I can confirm that stepping on a rake has exactly the results depicted in every Tex Avery/Chuck Jones cartoon.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Trout

Hacking a computer system by typing furiously for several seconds.

Tjm86

I've been trying for years to get kids to try Douglas Adams' theory of unpowered flight.  They always seemed a bit sceptical about the idea and struggled with the timing to distract themselves.  Did have a class convinced in the Flat Earth theory though.

WhizzBang

Quote from: Proudhuff on 19 December, 2017, 11:24:46 AM
First off: shooting a lock?
I once saw a documentary about an Allied raid on Norway using ground troops in WWII. During it, an old soldier related a story of how he and his unit were stuck inside some building/farm/place and they needed to get through a locked door. He recalled the cowboy films he had watched where shooting a lock always seemed to do the trick but when he did it the bullet ricocheted around the room and they were extremely lucky no-one was hurt or killled. The door did not unlock.

SuperSurfer

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 22 December, 2017, 11:28:25 PM
On the other hand, I can confirm that stepping on a rake has exactly the results depicted in every Tex Avery/Chuck Jones cartoon.
Same goes for slipping on a banana skin – something that I thought occurred only in cartoons and comic strips. I once saw it happen for real and probably will never will see it happen again. Boy, does it make for a spectacular fall.

von Boom

Quote from: Trout on 22 December, 2017, 11:28:54 PM
Hacking a computer system by typing furiously for several seconds.

That totally works. Open your terminal and type:

telnet 127.0.0.1

U R Hacked!

Totally L33t.

Tiplodocus

Quote from: SuperSurfer on 23 December, 2017, 02:21:09 PM
Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 22 December, 2017, 11:28:25 PM
Same goes for slipping on a banana skin – something that I thought occurred only in cartoons and comic strips. I once saw it happen for real and probably will never will see it happen again. Boy, does it make for a spectacular fall.

I recall an episode of QI that explained how banana skinswere actually an analogue for horse shit. Streets were awash and people kept stepping in it and slipping on it but horse shit isn't the sort of thing editors wanted to see in their cartoons. So they replaced with banana peel.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!