Main Menu

2000ad All female creative teams in 2018 Summer Special

Started by Colin YNWA, 07 February, 2018, 06:41:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tjm86

Quote from: Richard on 13 February, 2018, 09:24:13 AM
I know Rebellion's a business, but that doesn't mean they've done this for cynical reasons. It could just as easily be because they believe in it.

Very true.  Considering that their business model seems to be very much about celebrating the best of British creators down through the years, I'd be more inclined towards this.  Makes good business sense too; bonus.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Tjm86 on 13 February, 2018, 06:43:20 AMPositive discrimination is still discrimination, is it not. How it is seen depends on how it affects you personally.
And also culturally. Also, positive discrimination can in many cases be seen in a wider sense as rebalancing. We see people slamming women getting bigger pay rises than men, forgetting that the women have been routinely discriminated against and the rise will merely draw them level. In comics, I see much the same thing. One magazine out of over 50 per year, will have only female creators. Frankly, it barely moves the needle. But in the way publishing (and especially 2000 AD works), it might just provide 2000 AD with more creators that can then be let loose on the Prog and diversity it a bit.

Even after all that, it's not like things would be even anyway. 2000 AD will still primarily be created by men, edited by men, and so on. On that basis, I find it baffling anyone could get angry at a single special of this sort.

Quote from: Richard on 13 February, 2018, 09:24:13 AMI know Rebellion's a business, but that doesn't mean they've done this for cynical reasons. It could just as easily be because they believe in it.
I can't claim to know the Kingsleys at all well. I've only briefly met them, interviewed Jason a couple of times, and for a period was 2000 AD's off-site web bloke. Even so, my impression is these guys like to take a punt when it aligns with their passions. Buying 2000 AD was a business decision, in that they initially assumed they'd get a ton of great IP for games; but also, it was a decision from the heart – a desire to save a publication that was otherwise going to unceremoniously fade away.

Similarly, all this British comics stuff. Yes, Rebellion will (I hope) make a pile of cash out of people getting nostalgic for Ken Reid and Misty. But also this means someone will actually be taking the time to properly archive this material. It will be saved from oblivion. That in itself adds some nobility to the equation, and pushes it beyond mere business.

With this special, I suspect it's a mix of these things. Will it sell well? Possibly; perhaps even probably. It's a bit of a punt. But it's one with a combination of smart business thinking and heart behind it.

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 13 February, 2018, 09:47:42 AM...is the 'side' that Marko claims other boarders don't know he takes. I'm sorry, but in vociferously agreeing with such a comment*, you've already declared your side.
Quite. Aligning with an extremist position as satire and then calling everyone taking that view SJWs while complaining about people not wanting to see both sides? Hmm.

Link Prime

Jeez, bit of a mad thread here!

I've put in a pre-order for this special with my LCS.
Delighted that we're getting this sort of thing on a semi-regular basis (really happy with announcement of the 2nd Scream / Misty special too).

I'll be a happy customer if the content is on par with every other 2000AD Sci-Fi special I've purchased in the past 30-something years (a minimum of 2 x great one-off stories & 2 x pretty good one-off stories).
With the commissioning editor involved, it's a safe bet.

Professor Bear

Quote from: Tjm86 on 13 February, 2018, 06:43:20 AM
Quote from: TordelBack on 12 February, 2018, 08:20:26 PM
Geoff,  the (admittedly hyperbolic) allusions to Nazis were by way of illustrating the point that some views are fundamentally wrong, and with those there can be zero compromise, even at the risk of perpetuating and entrenching divisions.

I have to admit, that was exactly how I read it.  I know that there is some old internet saw about resorting to a Nazi analogy being the equivalent of singing "LaLaLa, I'm not listening."

Can I just point out that if people keep getting "Nazi" thrown in the direction of their arguments, or are generally weary of everything coming back to Nazis, they should probably stop and have a think about how or why this seems to keep happening in relation to comments they make.

In a similar vein, if someone spots a comment about Nazis gassing jews and gays and their first reaction is "this is clearly a dig at me", that might be stop/think time, too.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Professor Bear on 13 February, 2018, 01:32:40 PM

Can I just point out ....

No. The libtard cuck snowflake virtue-signalling SJWs round here don't believe in free speech.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Professor Bear

JayzusB.Christ

Oh, hang on.  I agree with your points.  Carry on then
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Steven Denton

It's probably a little late in the day, but it just occurred to me that maybe there isn't any positive discrimination going on here, maybe the creators are just the best people for the job.

Maybe people who have a problem with a comic with an all female creative team but not a comic with an all male one have brought their own prejudices to the table and it says more about them than the comic in question?

Modern Panther

I'm all in favour of reasoned debate, but I'm sick of 2000AD creators and their liberal agenda, ramming reasoned debate down our throats in an attempt to brainwash our children.

Tjm86

... or us for that matter!

Quote from: Professor Bear on 13 February, 2018, 01:32:40 PM
.... might be stop/think time, too.

Is this a bad time to point out the Glaring Anomaly here?  (with apologies to Alec Trench)

Quote from: Steven Denton on 13 February, 2018, 02:14:35 PM
...  maybe the creators are just the best people for the job.

On a scale of 1 to 'incredibly valid point' .... TBH that's the approach I'm taking to this.  Not overly worried about where their reproductive organs are since a) I'm not good looking enough to interest them (plus ... the whole 'dad bod' you know), b) my wife would have my reproductive organs in a vice and c) the chances of me meeting up with them are slim to none.  It's a Tooth Summer Special.  Wahey!

dweezil2

I really couldn't give a shit about gender, but fresh writers and artists creating for 2000AD can only be a positive thing and should be celebrated!
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

TordelBack

Take your point entirely Dweezil, and this is not intended as a dig at you, but not giving a shit about gender is the considerable privilege of those who have the 'right' one.  Which I think is where we came in...

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: TordelBack on 13 February, 2018, 02:56:09 PM
not giving a shit about gender is the considerable privilege of those who have the 'right' one.

Precisely this. This entire argument derives from the fact that, as occupants of the privileged position, all this stuff is more or less invisible to us. Everything is pretty much right and fair and this is as it should be. No one pays us less because of our gender; no police officer stops us in the street for no reason other than the colour of our skin; no one denies us promotions or actively sabotages our career prospects because we won't put out for our boss; no one spray paints hateful slogans on the side of our house because of assumptions about our religious beliefs... and that is as it should be.

Getting everyone else to where we are now requires determined, ceaseless, positive action because what we have is what everyone should have and if we have to surrender just a tiny bit of that privilege to achieve it...? It's the right thing to do, so shut the fuck up and do it.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

dweezil2

Quote from: TordelBack on 13 February, 2018, 02:56:09 PM
Take your point entirely Dweezil, and this is not intended as a dig at you, but not giving a shit about gender is the considerable privilege of those who have the 'right' one.  Which I think is where we came in...

I maybe didn't articulate myself adequately and I certainly didn't take it as a dig mate!  ;)

2000AD is crying out for new blood and particularly from an unrepresented group, such as women.  :thumbsup:

Which is probably what I should of said in the first place!!!!  :lol:

dweezil2

My comment was more directed at those who would accuse 2000AD of demonstrating tokenism by having the special and saying they would boycott it as a result.
These views can sadly be seen expressed on various social networks.  :(