Main Menu

Why Don't I Enjoy Art Any More?

Started by Andy Lambert, 15 September, 2018, 10:33:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Green

I totally get that Radiator - although luckily I don't swing between the feelings talked about as much, I really hate the 'meh' response these days.

It's like enthusiasm, it can be infectious - so can apathy.

Working on the fan shorts - the enthusiasm from the fans fed off each other, and even when you were feeling down or things weren't going to plan, fan power would gee you up.

Sinx

Andy, as a newcomer to the forum I have seen the thread of your collected artwork and I'm very impressed. There's some really high quality work combined with a sense of humour - so don't chuck out all the materials just yet. I stopped drawing for several years and regret it a bit.

I completely understand the relationship most amateurs have with art. I say amateurs because I've no idea if getting into the privileged position of either being paid a lot or having legions of fans will make the relationship a truly positive one. Lucien Freud painted up to his death at 88, Kurt Cobain blew his brains out at 27. Money, fans, critical acclaim, everything you could hope to get rewarded for creativity - two different endings. Realistically, it's probably all reliant upon the individual.

I'm going to Leeds to submit pages to the Future Shock competition. I'm glad I set myself the task and completed it (I hate giving up), but at this moment I've probably lost all perspective on the quality of the finished work and just feel a bit deflated. It's all part of the process though and I accept it now.

Anyway, keep grinding - I know this doesn't sound like the most positive comment ever but sometimes you just gotta set a goal and work towards it.

Proudhuff

Quote from: Steve Green on 17 September, 2018, 09:33:18 PM
I totally get that Radiator - although luckily I don't swing between the feelings talked about as much, I really hate the 'meh' response these days.

It's like enthusiasm, it can be infectious - so can apathy.

Working on the fan shorts - the enthusiasm from the fans fed off each other, and even when you were feeling down or things weren't going to plan, fan power would gee you up.

This ^^^

I'd much prefer someone reacted in some way, anyway! rather than the deafening silence that has met any of my attempts to create strips.
I've recently considered getting back in the creative saddle but like Andy question the whole process, so I think it all comes down to why you do it and if you know that, you can move forward.
DDT did a job on me

Bolt-01

Sinx- Please stop by the FQP table at TB this weekend. I'd like to see the sample pages, too. Same goes for any arty types at TB this weekend.

Sinx

Quote from: Bolt-01 on 18 September, 2018, 01:08:27 PM
Sinx- Please stop by the FQP table at TB this weekend. I'd like to see the sample pages, too. Same goes for any arty types at TB this weekend.
Definitely!

Andy Lambert

Radiator, I'm sorry you no longer feel a passion for the geeky things in life, but I'm pleased to hear you've found a passion elsewhere - the subject matter may have changed, but if you can still feel that enthusiasm and interest, and use it for inspiration to be creative, then that's definitely a good thing.
Long may that continue!

Thanks for your comments, Since - and welcome to the forum! Best of luck with the Future Shock script.
You're absolutely right that situations can be different for each individual, and there's no right way or wrong way forward but the supportive input from others still remains a source of comfort to me.
I'm still feeling extremely resistant to drawing even though I've got images bubbling away in my head that I'd like to see on paper... perhaps I should start thinking about this year's forum Christmas calendar - I've always enjoyed that.

Steven Denton

Feedback is an interesting motivator, like everyone else I enjoy praise, and I do post art for attention, I mean if I didn't want to draw attention to the art I wouldn't post it publicly so feedback, even if its just some one saying 'Nice Work!' is encouraging and important. I have had strips that took hundreds of hours of work disappear without comment and that can be dispiriting.

I'm pretty secure in my technical skills (reasonable artist, good colourist, and OK writer) but it's still important too me to know if people like what I do. 

Woolly

It's no secret that I've been feeling this way for a few years now. I used to be all over the Art comps' a few years ago, then just ran out of steam I guess. I've never held any serious art ambitions, certainly never considered myself to be good enough to make any money from it either, but used to enjoy doing stuff for fun.
Guess I got tired of the idea of working for fun? I dunno..
I sometimes feel a bit of the old spark, but it never lasts long enough to get a drawing out.

Sorry mate, I don't think I have any advice for you!  :(

But I will say this: Just because you have a talent (and boy do you have talent!), doesn't mean you have to use it. It's your talent, it isn't going anywhere, there's nothing wrong with ignoring it for a while.
Give yourself a month off*. Do other things, get a bit of time back.
Then have a crack at a picture and see how you feel.

*But don't do what I did and give yourself 2+ years off - that's not a good plan!

Andy Lambert

Yeah, feedback is massively important when you've spent a lot of time on some artwork - the weird thing is with me, no matter how many compliments I get for my work, I don't feel like they mean much - which is a terrible thing to say, but what I mean is because I don't hold much value or faith in my own artwork, I struggle to comprehend that others do. And yet I'd be gutted if I did a piece that no-one responded to at all... I think that goes for a lot of artists - we're a complicated bunch!

Woolly, I haven't seen much of your artwork - possibly because of the very topic we're discussing - but what I have seen as impressed me immensely! I loved your submission to the art competition for 2000ad's 40th anniversary, and I was particularly awed by your Dredd on the toilet, which I think was related to the Wells/Dilworth episode a while back. Such brilliant character drawing!
Regarding taking a break - I do want to do that, though I'm still doing some stuff at the moment because it provides me with some much needed funds - but my main concern in taking a break stems from the last time I took a break, it lasted a decade. I only came back to drawing thanks to the forum competitions, but it does feel like I'm losing it again.
I guess all I can really do is take each day as it comes...

TordelBack

Hopefully being runner-up out of 300+ entries in the Dredd Comp offers some external validation, Andy!

Andy Lambert

Oh, is that common knowledge now? I wasn't allowed to say anything...
Yeah, very much surprised by that!

TordelBack

Well it was on Bleeding Cool two days ago so I reckon the secrecy ship has sailed...

The Legendary Shark

Wow - exceptionally well done, Andy! Fantastic news.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Andy Lambert

GrudgeJohnDeed

Yeah congrats mate! The level of competition was pretty darn high.