Main Menu

PROG 2111 - Welcome to the Thrill-Party!

Started by Leigh S, 08 December, 2018, 11:04:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sheridan

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 13 December, 2018, 03:12:39 PM
Not 100 per cent sure about the ending (Baba Yaga is Danu then?) 

Both Baba Yaga and Danu are different aspects of the Triple Goddess (Danu would be the mother goddess and Yaga the Crone).  You obviously haven't been revising your comparative religions lately!

sheridan

Quote from: Magnetica on 16 December, 2018, 02:33:52 PM
The spiel in the Nerve Centre says it follows on from his battle with the Drune Lords on the Isle of Monadh.

Also, New Troy and Britannia wouldn't have existed before the flood which occurred in The Horned God.

sheridan

Quote from: Andy B on 14 December, 2018, 03:02:22 AM
Quote from: Tomwe on 12 December, 2018, 11:12:16 AM
Also: this may have been asked somewhere before, but is this the first time a thrill has continued both before and after the bumper Christmas edition? (Brink)

I seem to remember "Origins" did that, but definitely unusual. I appreciate that they're letting Dan Abnett take his time with "Brink". Great stuff.

One of the Prog 2010s had Part Three of Judge Dredd: Tour of Duty: Gore City.  One of the Prog 2011s had Part Two of Kingdom: As it is in Heaven.

Mardroid

Quote from: sheridan on 24 December, 2018, 12:35:31 AM
Quote from: Magnetica on 16 December, 2018, 02:33:52 PM
The spiel in the Nerve Centre says it follows on from his battle with the Drune Lords on the Isle of Monadh.

Also, New Troy and Britannia wouldn't have existed before the flood which occurred in The Horned God.

I thought the flood essentially split Britain from Ireland, so literally creating the Irish Sea, so wouldn't the land masses have still existed back before? That being said, the part that's now Britain wouldn't have gotten its name (Britannia/Brutannia) until the trojans invaded (assuming the region got it's name from Brutus, the mythical Trojan founder of Britain). I think that was post-flood, so you're probably right.

Little off-topic aside:
I remember reading a book based on ancient British mythology, and that pretty much covered Brutus, etc. Before then, I never knew there were myths linking the trojans with Britain, and even founding it's name! It's mythology that strangely doesn't seem all that mainstream in the UK (or maybe those stories just passed me by as a kid). I got a kick out of Pat Mills including it in Slaine, even though I haven't taken to his latter Slaine work that much.

Incidentally, I'm reading Slaine Volume 3 from the Ultimate 2000ad books at the moment. I'm late coming to this stuff, I've pretty much enjoyed most of this early stuff, including the other Slaine volumes.

Colin YNWA

Well I've saved my festive Prog until X-mas like a good boy and read it over the last couple of nights. Its a mighty beast indeed, I'll give my thoughts before seeing what other folks have been saying here. Left try a count down... though I might regret this.

8. Slaine The Bogatyr - well if this is bottom of the thrill pile we've done okay. Stand Slaine fare with crisp art by the glorious Weston... if anything a little too clean cut for my tastes on the strip but still a joy on the eye.

7. Caballisitics Inc - Good that got an ending but feels a little forced and rushed. 8 pages that feel like a regret that they needed to be done. Still a nice enough read and fantastic art.

6. Skip Tracer: Louder than bombs - Good stuff and now I'm invested in the character hope this series gets me invested in his world. Decent opener but we need to see where this one is going yet.

5. Durham Red: Three Gift - Great little story this one, happy to have Durham used as a flexible friend with stories to suit all occasions and this one works well and look forward to more by this team on the character with any luck.

4. Dredd: Jingle all the way - really enjoyed this neat little one off. My one beef PSi villians seem to be used a lot of late to advance new story ideas as they open a world of possibility and potential. Not this stories fault that is something I'm picking up on (possilby wrongly but I rolled my eyes when we saw it was a PSi villian... who knows if that was reasonably?) and I'm putting stories on watch. This one gets a pass as it was great but...

3. Brink - Maybe not the very best episode of this glorious series - Hence not top spot - but still a blinder. Its weird I find the episodes that drive the plot on most efficently the ones I enjoy least... which is of course relative as it still absolutely brilliant!

2. Fiends of the Western Front - What an opener. What I particularly enjoy is the way Edginton is really keeping the pace up with these stories. The previous one packed in so much of 6 parts. This one packs in so much other 10 pages. It never feels rushed but captures the relentous pace of the original with a mastery that one lacked. Can't wait to see how this develops.

1. The Fall of Deadworld: Running scared - given the quality of the thrill in this issues, there's not a duffer amongst them and from 5 down they all pretty much superb - I highlight faults just to qualify why they aren't all no. 1! Anyway to be #1 in this field is quite something. Just a fantastically chilling short from Deadworld and a glorious examination of the power of Fear (and fear) - mindbending.

So yeah 8 for 8 and the top 5 would grace any Prog. The added bonus of some really nice insightful text pieces with the interviews with Kelvin Gosnell and Richard Burton we get an X-Mas Prog that really sits well alongside post 2100 goodness that Tharg has provided. 2019 bodes well!

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Trout on 12 December, 2018, 02:46:03 AM
I've read some really good comics lately, either for work (I review graphic novels for a newspaper) or pleasure. My 2018 highlights have included The Immortal Hulk, Mister Miracle, my first full read-through of Locke and Key, lots of fab indie stuff and tons more, and this Christmas prog is among the best publications this year.

Immortal Hulk is very good but By George Locke and Key can't be raved about enough can it - just brilliant.

Anyway what I really came back here so quickly to say is that I've just skipped through this thread and it always warms my cockles at times like this to see we all loved the Prog. Normally for entirely different reasons and with great variance in what we think is best / worst but we all loved it regardless.

And that folks is what makes Tharg's thrilling organ the most satisfying in the Galaxy!

Fungus

I'm 4 of 8 for the Christmas prog and proof again I'm a B & W kid, that it's the mono strips (plus Brink of course) that worked for me. Fiends especially was fantastic, the characterisation Trevallion conjures up is incredible. Also fun to spot the joins in the 20 pages to see where the 5-page episodes ended and began. There was another example recently; it's never greatly jarring in this age of writing for the collection...

The interviews seemed to rehash what we had from previous Thrill-casts, so didn't add much. But I understand why they're in there, some articles to flesh out the bumper prog. The inaccuracies I think we put down to workload, if the Nerve Centre is to be believed.

Tiplodocus

I get the feeling TT enjoyed drawing FIENDS as much as I did looking at his gorgeous artwork. Utterly magnificent stuff.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!