Main Menu

Meg 412 - Bloody But Unbowed

Started by IronGraham, 16 September, 2019, 01:41:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IronGraham

Just got my copy today instead of saturday very catchy cover by the Langley Droid.
We're werewolves not swearwolves

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

M.I.K.

The skintones on DeMarco's head could've done with matching the rest of the body a bit more.

Richard

My favourite bit this month was the panel in DeMarco where she [spoiler]pulls that guy's eyeball out[/spoiler]!

Don't try that at home.

Proudhuff

All good in the Meg this month, Dredd leaves a couple of hanging chads for future stories, and Anderson works well as the link for the young X-Men sorry cadets team up.
DDT did a job on me

Tomwe

Quote from: M.I.K. on 16 September, 2019, 04:09:36 PM
The skintones on DeMarco's head could've done with matching the rest of the body a bit more.
I expect they did but its blown out by a massive lighting effect that's bleaching both that and the hair

Tomwe

I'm pretty chuffed we've gotten the Defoe we have in the last two issues as that brings me up to date with the strip, after the two trades. I'm excited for next month's reprint too: Damnation Station

Bolt-01

Damnation Station - A very worthy experiment by TMO and Al Ewing to have a strip that would be passed around multiple artists. Looking forward to reading this and a very good idea these days to play up the Al Ewing connection.

hippynumber1

Quote from: Tomwe on 18 September, 2019, 09:37:41 AM
I'm pretty chuffed we've gotten the Defoe we have in the last two issues as that brings me up to date with the strip, after the two trades. I'm excited for next month's reprint too: Damnation Station

You've read the arc that Colin MacNeil drew, yes?

Colin YNWA

Decent Meg if not mind blowing. Best thing was Anderson I'm really enjoying this one and its building both intriguing new cadets and fresh elements to the Cursed Earth.

Many of the rest fall into will benefit from re-read. I run incredibly hot and cold with Diamond Dogs one episode I think its great, the next I drift back to lethargy. Thence I need to see how it reads as one. DeMarco I've been paying particular attention to for one reason or another and in doing so have pulled myself a little out the story but become very intrigued about how this story works and what its trying to do. Re-read on this one imminant I hope. Finally I love Returners but I have to be honest felt a little lost here so again need to go back and pull it all together with re-read.

All those strips are going to gain from these mythical re-reads when I get to them but makes reading the Meg itself as a monthly comic a little disappointing.

As for Dredd, well its got Dredd fighting Russian pirates (well okay they're not pirates but roll with me) aped by apes all with art by Jake Lynch. I mean I love this right... right... well strangely not. All the elements for a great Dredd are there but for whatever reason this one fell short.

Even the text pieces felt a little light this month and recent Defoe as reprint when we have a Treasury to mine - PAH I say.

Tomwe

Quote from: hippynumber1 on 18 September, 2019, 06:25:05 PM
Quote from: Tomwe on 18 September, 2019, 09:37:41 AM

You've read the arc that Colin MacNeil drew, yes?
Yup!

Keef Monkey

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 20 September, 2019, 07:02:23 AM
All those strips are going to gain from these mythical re-reads when I get to them but makes reading the Meg itself as a monthly comic a little disappointing.

Ah the mythical re-read. This is pretty much exactly my feeling reading the Meg every month, I'm sure the stories are all great read in a oner but month to month I struggle to stay engaged with most of it.

Exceptions at the moment are Dredd and Anderson, I guess with them being so long established in my headspace I'm not having to try and figure out what's going on and who is who every time I pick up an issue, but I don't know what's going on in Returners at all so that's one I always assign to a future mythical re-read.

Diamond Dogs and Demarco I had a slightly better time with.

Really I should stop complaining about it every month and go with the obvious solution - waiting until I have a few months of Megs in the backlog and reading them a bunch at a time. Then there's obviously the fear some universe-altering Dredd occurrence or crossover will happen and I'll miss it but I'm sure I'll get wind of that if it happens!

broodblik

The current Meg was one of those I will not remember in a few years or even next month. That does not imply it is bad but maybe just so in between something. 

Enjoyed both Dredd and Anderson but I ma now totally lost in what is going on in Returners. The Dredd story ends that this is not the end but only another setup.  Diamond Dogs I will admit I am enjoying
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

DrJomster

Strong Meg again this month. Agree with the above comment about the X Men cadets in Anderson, but it's really just the last panel where that creeps in, otherwise we're good I reckon.

That fight in DeMarco was gripping. Very well portrayed. Nasty knife wound there, not to mention what happened to the other person!

I'm also finding The Returners on stronger form this time around. Going well.

And Jake Lynch's art. We like that, so we do.

Honestly though, that was a good Meg. Everything was good. Not to mention the incredibly generous DeFoe floppy!
The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.

Richard

I hope someone makes sure that the artists in future DeMarco stories put a permanent scar where that knife wound was.