Main Menu

Game of Thrones: the last series [SPOILERS]

Started by sheridan, 15 April, 2019, 11:09:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 18 May, 2019, 11:07:23 AM
Blazing Saddles ending! But with Dragons!
Cersei loves froggy. Froggy love Cersei?

JayzusB.Christ

Something else just struck me: the people who say this is completely out of character for Daenerys haven't been paying attention.  Her potential ruthlessness and megalomania has been brewing for a long time.  Her father was a psychopath too.  I just can't see how people missed it.

Also, GoT continues to buck trends by making the most heroic characters fuck up massively.  Like Dredd in both Sin City and Day of Chaos, they've made a hames of it despite their best efforts and as a result caused thousands to die.  You didn't see that kind of thing on Lord of the Rings.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

broodblik

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 18 May, 2019, 04:09:17 PM
Something else just struck me: the people who say this is completely out of character for Daenerys haven't been paying attention.  Her potential ruthlessness and megalomania has been brewing for a long time.  Her father was a psychopath too.  I just can't see how people missed it.

Because we do not want to see this "pretty face" girl being the "baddie". We all shouted and routed for her in season 1. As you said this was already present in previous seasons
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 18 May, 2019, 09:18:59 AM

1) That was great and I will now show how I am as smart as the writers of the show and smarter than you.

Suddenly I hate myself.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Richard

Tyrion, Varys and Jon Snow had already talked her out of using the dragons on King's Landing on two previous occcassions in series 7, so it was hardly out of the question that they would need to do it a third time, and that they might fail.

Krakajac

Well, that was rather enjoyable. :)

The quality of TV these days is pretty damn good.

sheridan

Quote from: Dudley on 18 May, 2019, 11:18:44 AM
I like the idea that you have been watching for 70+ hours of TV thinking "when's this fecking song going to start?"

...and I thought prog rock songs had long intros...

Link Prime

A Song of Disappointment and Failure:

Part 1) Main Quest = Side Quest.
Part 2) Bitches be crazy, yo.
Part 3) Weird kid wins gold medal.

Fin.

pauljholden

Well, I certainly wasn't expecting it all to turn out to be Bran's dying dream as he lay at the bottom of the tower from episode 1, but here we are. More audacious than Bobby Ewing in the shower, that's for sure.

Funt Solo

Quote from: Link Prime on 20 May, 2019, 03:48:18 PM
Part 1) Main Quest = Side Quest.

Or: there were two quests, which both got resolved.  (1: Walker threat. 2: Civil war threat.)

Part 2) Bitches be crazy, yo.

Except for Sansa, Arya, Brienne & Yara.

Part 3) Weird kid wins gold medal.

To resolve that pesky civil war threat.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Rusty

On the plus side, thank fuck that's over because it was like being gradually waterboarded episode by episode. We got a Scooby Doo mixed with a Return of the King and some Marvel sequel expanding hinting style ending. Who couldn't be happy with that?

Can't wait for all those spin offs now. The Adventures of Arya et al.

broodblik

For me the ending was very satisfactory. This season had some issues but the end made up it all up for me.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

radiator

QuoteSomething else just struck me: the people who say this is completely out of character for Daenerys haven't been paying attention.  Her potential ruthlessness and megalomania has been brewing for a long time.  Her father was a psychopath too.  I just can't see how people missed it.

Can you really not see how there's a fairly sizable logical jump to go from 'potential ruthlessness' to slaughtering hundreds of thousands of innocent women and children? Its the extreme level of her actions that people have taken issue with, apparently including the actor who plays the character. As for the Mad King, I guess my interpretation is that during his reign he had suffered a long, slow descent into paranoid schizophrenia and wasn't just 'genetically evil' because he was a Targaryen.

As for the finale, It was about as good as I could have hoped given how much I disliked the general direction of the season as a whole. It had some truly outstanding visuals (drogon emerging from the snow, Dany framed by the dragon wings) and it's nice that they at least acknowledged the existence of other houses like the Arryns, Tullys and Martells - one of my main complaints the last season or two is how empty the world has felt relative to the early seasons. I was almost certain we'd never get any more scenes featuring non Stark or Targaryen characters.

I found the first half hour completely devoid of tension given that there was never any doubt (to me, at least) as to which way Jon would go re: Dany. However Jon subsequently going into exile beyond the wall was a great ending for him - a neat inversion of the opening scene of the pilot - life going out into the cold vs death coming out of it. It felt logical, poetic and bittersweet in a way that a lot of the other resolutions didn't.

Leigh S

I liked most of that - most characters ended up in a satisying place even if the way they got there wasnt the greatest.  I really enjoyed the first half up to and including [spoiler]Jon/Drogon, though at that point you realise that there is a whole half a series at least that would be needed to untangle the dangling threads and it makes you miss the darn show with half an hour to go.  Was it just me who thought it was going to all go a bit racist, as the Westerosi characters surveyed the "evil barbarians" whooping and hollering the slaughter up and slitting those throats?  What I think would have worked much better would have been getting Grey Worm on side rather than against Jon.

I mean, glossing over Jon's presumably stupid confession. Say in the throne room Grey Worm is also there or turned up and witnessed the deed, and it was a confrontation between them where Jon convinces him to break the wheel  - it was Dany's obsession with the feeble little throne that got Missandei killed and she wants to go on and on?  Then you don't have to have the awkward scene where he just allows the murderer of his Queen to not only go free, but also the chap who told him to do it....

but after the time jump - oof - If they had ended it on the Council meeting they could have freeze framed as everyone guffawed over a brothel joke from Bron - oh the hilarity!  Thankfully the final shots of Jon off to the North were fitting...but just imagine if Jon had been the one to stop the final battle, to break the wheel - giving Jon a heoric speech and actually finally doing something right, and gave Grey Worm agency on all this, as opposed to him meekly accepting what a bunch of the same old tossers that Dany was there to remove wanted [/spoiler]

Dudley

Most impressive moment of that episode: [spoiler]stabbing anyone with that ruddy great sword while kissing them. Jon is quite the acrobat. [/spoiler]