Main Menu

It Shoulda Ended with...

Started by Link Prime, 13 August, 2019, 04:12:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sheridan

Quote from: Tjm86 on 14 August, 2019, 12:13:55 PM
Rogue Trooper - "To the ends of Nu Earth".

Although "War Machine" worked well as a reimagining in which case it should have ended there and definitely never Fleischer's run ...

I thought a few of the stories in the annual that year were promising (before the follow-ups made it into the prog).

Greg M.

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 14 August, 2019, 12:34:18 PM

Iron Maiden - Seventh Son of a Seventh Son

A cut-off point that eliminates Final Frontier and Book of Souls is not one I can support!

wedgeski

Or A Matter of Life and Death, for that matter. Maiden are a great example of a band that absolutely should not stop, ever. :)

Greg M.

Hell, even Virtual XI has The Clansman on it. However...

Metallica - ...And Justice for All

Dandontdare

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 13 August, 2019, 08:24:37 PM
I think some things are the perfect length; Babylon 5, Farscape and The Shield spring to mind.

1 out of 3 ain't bad - The Shield and Farscape both went on too long IMO.

Progwise - Robohunter after Day of the Droids and Rogue Trooper afte he found the traitor gerneal

JamesC

Robohunter after Verdus for me. They never recaptured that magic.

Police Academy after Assignment: Miami Beach

Dandontdare

I always used to say after Verdus, but having re=-read them not so long ago, I found day of the Droids and The Filby case to be pretty good - it only really hit the skids when he moved to britCit

Definitely Not Mister Pops

There are a lot of movies that shouldn't have had sequels.

Rocky and Predator have been mentioned already. I would add The Matrix, Rambo and Ghostbusters.

Terminator and Alien both had one good sequel, but they should've stopped there.

James Cameron is still threatening us with Avatar sequels. I read an interesting comment on Avatar recently. It did fantastically well at the box office but has had absolutely no impact on pop-culture at all. No one references it, not even Family Guy (which should have stopped when at was originally cancelled, same with Futurama).

One more thing: Every successful computer game. Once they get a hit the publishers just keep churning them out. They're still trying to make Sonic the Hedgehog games.

You may quote me on that.

sheridan

Quote from: Dandontdare on 14 August, 2019, 05:03:32 PM
I always used to say after Verdus, but having re=-read them not so long ago, I found day of the Droids and The Filby case to be pretty good - it only really hit the skids when he moved to britCit

I thought the Filby Case was set in Brit-Cit?

Dandontdare

You may be right - I'm thinking of the robo-goonie cult story?

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 14 August, 2019, 01:13:49 AM
Quote from: radiator on 14 August, 2019, 12:25:49 AM
Quote from: JOE SOAP on 13 August, 2019, 11:50:38 PM
Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 13 August, 2019, 10:19:04 PMStrontium Dog: The Final Solution.

If the majority of the art were different, I think there'd be more agreement on this.

You mean The Final Solution? Or the latter Stront stuff?

The Final Solution. Harrison's a great artist but not for the 'last' Johnny Alpha story.

I'm fine with the reboot, the resurrection and the final note the creators, and the story, go out on.

I liked Harrison on Stront. But it was Colin McNeil, at his absolute best, who ended it properly.

Anyway, Rambo should have ended with theach brilliant, Raoul-Moatesque First Blood. The next ones should have been a whole new franchise with a new Stallone character.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

JOE SOAP

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 14 August, 2019, 06:05:28 PMI liked Harrison on Stront. But it was Colin McNeil, at his absolute best, who ended it properly.

Love McNeil at the end but too little too late for these eyes.

radiator

I would say Rocky also.

It's such a strange series - the first one is this really great, gritty standalone indie movie. Then even by the second one it changes tone really abruptly and starts to get really silly. I loved the original but honestly couldn't even get to the end of Rocky II.

Frank

Wouldn't trust a human that doesn't love Rockys 1-4.

shaolin_monkey

Drat, forgot Ghostbusters! Yep, agree, should have stopped there.