Main Menu

Things that went over your head...

Started by ming, 09 January, 2012, 11:00:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

QuickQuag

Good lord I have a new one.

Twenty years after the ABC Warriors enter a pub called The Piston Broke (Khronicles of Khaos) the penny finally drops as to why Pat insisted on drawing attention to the establishment's name.

I always thought it an odd name, but I should have worked it out at the time - I was a student after all!
The views above are entirely my own. And there's the problem.

o1s1n

Quote from: radiator on 30 July, 2012, 11:20:05 AM
Never saw the little Dredd face hidden in the J of the old school Dredd logo until someone pointed it out on this board.

Holy shit! I've been looking at that logo for 20 years and have never noticed that.
Mind=blown  :o

If you're going by the Irish Gaelic pronunciation, Sláine is 'slawn-ye' (that's as anglicised as I can make the phonetics! Press the play button on this page to hear someone say it.

http://www.forvo.com/word/sl%C3%A1ine/

Always called him 'Slain' myself though. And this is coming from an Irish person living in Clontarf  :D

ming

SmallBlueThing

Unsure if im in the right thread here, as i think we used to have one for things we'd always assumed were one thing but really were another. Besides, im narked because im reduced to checking the board on my phone meaning i can read the advent calender comments thread, but havent been able to see the actual advent thread for DAYS. Fuckabollocks!
Anyway...
Reading H P lovecraft's 'The Colour Out Of Space' this evening, one of the characters refers to poison as "pizen". So, I ask you: aside from wondering if this is where Wagner and Grant lifted Fink's preferred description of his killing method from, have you like me been pronouncing it "pizzen" your whole life, and not a New England accented "pie-zen"?

SBT

Dash Decent

I've always read it in my head as 'pizzen', though I knew it was a dang local accent pronunication of poison.
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

Frank

Quote from: Dash Decent on 09 December, 2012, 02:58:55 AM
I've always read it in my head as 'pizzen', though I knew it was a dang local accent pronunication of poison.

Given that the Angel family are much more likely to root for the Cowboys and the Longhorns than the Patriots, I think we can all carry on reading Fink's dialogue as a redneck Pizzen. rather than a Southie PAAAIII-z'n. The West Country and Cornwall might have shaped New England voices. but most hicks South of the 40th parallel follow the pronunciation models of their Scots-Irish forebears, and Wagner and Grant were presumably referring to the speech patterns of the older generation of Scots who brought them up as much as they were to Gabby Hayes and Walter Brennan.

It always cracked me up when John Wayne went on about his Paw as if he was in an episode of The Broons.

SmallBlueThing

'pizzen' though, would have two 'z's, no matter where you were from.

SBT

Frank

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 09 December, 2012, 10:38:51 AM
'pizzen' though, would have two 'z's, no matter where you were from.

Nouns like Quiz, which end in a z, take on an extra z when functioning as a verb, but the word poison (for example) takes on neither an extra n nor an extra s as part of its transformation into gerund form. The closest analogue I can think of in formal English for a bit of patois such as pizen/pizening is wizen/wizening.

Noisybast

Dan Dare will return for a new adventure soon, Earthlets!

FinH

I always read it as "pie-zen" too, because some regional US dialects pronounce it like that, whereas nobody says "pizzen".
I always had a pretty clear voice in my head for what Fink sounded like - possibly more so than any other character. Kind of raspy and harsh but at the same time purring and soft

WhitBloke

Worryingly, all of my rereads of Fink stories in recent years have been vocal-acted by The Crack Fox from The Mighty Boosh.  Not so much an 'over my head' thing as a 'get the drokk out of my mind!' thing.
So this is der place then, Johnny?

M.I.K.

I'd say it's a bit more like 'puy-zin' than 'pie-zen'. I don't think anybody in the history of anything anywhere has ever called poison 'pizzen', (and I've heard a number of folk use the puyzin/piezen pronunciation in this neck of the South East Scottish woods).

Quote from: sauchie on 09 December, 2012, 11:33:10 AM
Nouns like Quiz, which end in a z, take on an extra z when functioning as a verb, but the word poison (for example) takes on neither an extra n nor an extra s as part of its transformation into gerund form. The closest analogue I can think of in formal English for a bit of patois such as pizen/pizening is wizen/wizening.

You should not attempt to apply correct grammatical form to accents/dialect. That way lies madness.

radiator

The 'Barry Penge' thing. Is that from something I should know?

Dandontdare

It's Mr Overdrive's real name from Low Life, which Dirty Frank taunts him with - "Big Barry Penge! Big Barry Penge!""

radiator

Cool. I knew it was from Lowlife, but thought it was a reference to something else!