Main Menu

Things that went over your head...

Started by ming, 09 January, 2012, 11:00:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I, Cosh

Quote from: radiator on 10 April, 2013, 11:27:19 AM
Erm, is 'Hot Dog Run' a (nonsensical) pun on 'Hot Dog Bun'?
Dunno. If I've ever thought about it I'd reckon it was something to do with "hotdogging" in the sense of driving or riding in a deliberately extreme fashion.

Quote from: radiator on 25 March, 2013, 03:26:28 PM
Judge Ocks = Ox.

Only twigged that recently!
Maybe I'm being thick but I don't get the joke here.
We never really die.

Greg M.

Quote from: The Cosh on 10 April, 2013, 02:01:21 PM
Quote from: radiator on 25 March, 2013, 03:26:28 PM
Judge Ocks = Ox.

Only twigged that recently!
Maybe I'm being thick but I don't get the joke here.

Judge Ocks was very powerfully built and noted for his strength - i.e, as strong as an ox.

Bubba Zebill

This may be obvious but the JD story about the release of Casey Steech, a perp that turned evidence against the mob, ran around the time of the release of actor Stacey Keach...who had just done time in a prison in the UK for smuggling drugs in...I think a small amount for personal use.
Judge Dredd : The Dark (Gamebook)
http://tinmangames.com.au/blog/?p=3105

Cactus

Venus Bluegenes - I got the blue genes bit easily enough but at the weekend I discovered a song called... Venus In Blue Jeans!
I'm a tucker hot seat trucker and I'm voking cheerio, ten-ten!

radiator

Anyone else find that when you get all these references it kind of takes something away from those old stories?

It all seemed so strange and mysterious when I was a kid and it all went over my head!

Mikey

Quote from: Bubba Zebill on 10 April, 2013, 01:55:28 PM
Perhaps a double meaning. In old NYC they refer to police vans as 'Paddy Wagons'. I'm not clear on the reason, either coined first when used in predominantly Irish areas of the city, or, more likely, because they were manned by a predominantly Irish police force.

It was Irish cops - they were essentially given the jobs in exchange for voting for the Democrats.

M.
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

JayzusB.Christ

That Zenith was actually pretty smart, and [spoiler]managed to talk Scott Wallace out of nuking London without St John's help.[/spoiler] 
I also thought for a long, long time that Berlin was a-bombed in reality.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Bubba Zebill

Quote from: Mikey on 10 April, 2013, 03:59:26 PM
Quote from: Bubba Zebill on 10 April, 2013, 01:55:28 PM
Perhaps a double meaning. In old NYC they refer to police vans as 'Paddy Wagons'. I'm not clear on the reason, either coined first when used in predominantly Irish areas of the city, or, more likely, because they were manned by a predominantly Irish police force.

It was Irish cops - they were essentially given the jobs in exchange for voting for the Democrats.

M.

Ah!
Judge Dredd : The Dark (Gamebook)
http://tinmangames.com.au/blog/?p=3105

radiator

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 11 April, 2013, 08:20:01 AM
That Zenith was actually pretty smart, and [spoiler]managed to talk Scott Wallace out of nuking London without St John's help.[/spoiler] 
I also thought for a long, long time that Berlin was a-bombed in reality.

Explain...

JayzusB.Christ

QuoteExplain...

Well... I thought for a long time that Peter Saint John was speaking through Zenith using telepathy when Zenith [spoiler]convinced Wallace not to nuke London.[/spoiler]  Later I realised that Saint John's plan was to [spoiler]telepathically cause Wallace to go into a coma, or possibly have a brain haemorrhage.[/spoiler]  Zenith took [spoiler]the more humane approach of simply talking him out of it, while Saint John, being a bit of a bastard, later locked the door and let him suffocate or starve. I thought it was Zenith who locked him in until I re-read it years later.[/spoiler]

Unless you're talking about the a-bomb part - in which case I didn't realise, as a child, that the a-bombing of Berlin was just something that happened in Zenith's universe.   I thought it really happened.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Frank

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 11 April, 2013, 09:30:06 AM
I didn't realise, as a child, that the a-bombing of Berlin was just something that happened in Zenith's universe.  I thought it really happened.

Do you remember Tharg's snotty reply to the guy who wrote in at that time to point out that only two nuclear devices were dropped on civilian populations during WWII, and that neither of them detonated over Berlin? Way to patronise a readership who grew up in a culture of war comics which at least gestured towards historical and technical accuracy.

This presumption of familiarity with the paradigm of alternate universes common in US comics came not very long after Tharg berated another reader for assuming that Anderson's psychic abilities and Johnny Alpha's mutant traits would conform to the depiction of those phenomena in the pages of X-Men. I don't think Tharg's even real.

hippynumber1

I remember that reply; it amused me at the time but thinking back on it, I have to agree with you...

Frank

On page five of the Dredd story The Satanist (Brothers of the blood TPB) - the page where Dredd looks through Vienna's personal possessions and mementos - there's a framed photograph of Rico sans helmet. The image isn't much more than a thumbnail, but the family's trademark shock of black hair is being worn in the bedhead fashion of a young Charlie Sheen. That would explain why the helmet sometimes sits a little high on Dredd's head.

JOE SOAP

He has Urbanised hair:

Frank

Someone needs to write a flashback story explaining why Rico's hair goes from Christopher Walken to George Clooney between that framed photograph and his arrival on Titan. The expanded version of The Return of Rico Pat Mills wrote around the time of the Stallone film wasn't much less substantial.