Main Menu

Things that went over your head...

Started by ming, 09 January, 2012, 11:00:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skullmo

Quote from: sauchie on 03 May, 2014, 10:05:23 AM

I often wondered if his brother Gary was just playing along with the joke, or whether the name Gary Pleece was a clever pun or reference I didn't understand.

I first saw Quitely's work on The Greens in Electric Soup, where the allusions to classic cartoonist of old made it seem much more obvious he was working under a pen name (the initials reminded me of Fred Quimby too). I'm not sure I would have twigged so readily if I'd been introduced to him in the world of action-adventure comics, where pseudonyms are much more rare. Shaky Kane and Smudge spring to mind, but I'm not sure Chris Halls/Cunningham or the occasional, temporary LJ Silver or Q Twerk count. Anyone want to inform me that Todd Macfarlane is actually Chaim Abrahamovitch?

Not forgetting Jock of course!
It's a joke. I was joking.

Bubba Zebill

Not sure I would have caught it 'Quite Frankly'...a mate of mine, a big fan of The Greens (as was I), pointed it out to me. Always liked it as a pseudonym.
Judge Dredd : The Dark (Gamebook)
http://tinmangames.com.au/blog/?p=3105

Frank

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 06 May, 2014, 10:09:59 AM
I remember Frank Quitely in Electric Soup; clearly a big fish in a small pond.  I seriously doubt if the Rocky McBlaw artist ever made it to DC

I bet Electric Soup sold more copies in the nineties than most DC comics do now.

ming

Not something that went over my head but rather went into my head and stayed there... Rather than start a thread for 'Ways that 2000AD warped your brain' (actually, not such a bad idea) I'll dump it here:

I find it impossible to hear Kenny Everett's voice without picturing him as drawn by Kevin O'Neill in Terror Tube.

A.Cow

Using Kenny Everett to make a tenuous (non-2000 AD) link to Top of the Pops, I've only just realised that TOTP dancers Lipps, Inc. is a pun on "lip-sync".

How the hell did I miss that for 35 years?

M.I.K.

Probably the same way you've managed to confuse Legs & Co. with the folk who performed Funky Town.

A.Cow

Quote from: M.I.K. on 14 May, 2014, 02:07:29 AM
Probably the same way you've managed to confuse Legs & Co. with the folk who performed Funky Town.

D'Oh!  I'll get me coat...

TordelBack

Just think, after a long roller-coaster of a career which included hosting daytime quiz shows, breakfast TV and helming some fondly-remembered but loss-making slapstick comedy films based on his old characters, Kenny would by now have a knighthood and a much-loved late night radio slot where he mixed his esoteric record collection with surreal links in a slower version of his clipped delivery, with regular guest appearances on Graham Norton where he would mortify Hollywood types like an old pro.   :'(

Frank

Prog 1226 features a Dredd story (Robbie Morrison and Simon Fraser's Something Over My Shoulder Is Drooling ...) about a psychic kid called Kelvin who kills folk with his powers. Prog 1227 features Wagner and Duncan Fegredo's The Bad Juve ... which is about a psychic kid called Kelvin who uses his abilities to murder people. They're not clearly not supposed to be the same character either.

Steve Green

I can't remember the second one, but I do remember the first Calvin and Hobbes homage.

Frank

Quote from: Steve Green on 31 May, 2014, 06:55:11 PM
I can't remember the second one, but I do remember the first Calvin and Hobbes homage.

The kid in the Wagner story's called Kelvin, but his nickname is Spook.

Steve Green

Ah, yeah I remember that now. Was more along the lines of Primo(?) the Pyrokinetic.

I seem to remember the Robbie Morrison one was explicitly Calvin and Hobbes with a psychically manifested mutant tiger?

Frank

Quote from: Steve Green on 31 May, 2014, 07:39:40 PM
I seem to remember the Robbie Morrison one was explicitly Calvin and Hobbes with a psychically manifested mutant tiger?

It's exactly as great as that premise suggests!

Frank

Wagner and Will Simpson's Chief Judge's Man (1244-1248) - The Public Deception Unit is a throwaway line someone should have gotten an entire series out of. Chief Judge's Man isn't a story I remember particularly fondly, but it contains another great line illustrating the cynicism and artifice of MC1, where a talk show host describes his guest's inflammatory rhetoric as having drawn gasps of astonishment from the show's audience simulator.

Frank

You make a great point, Sauchie. Prog 1874, the Terror Tale by Alec Worley and Mark Harrison features a spooky abandoned amusement park being explored by Daphne and Velma. The park is called Kitsuneland, presumably after its founder, 2000ad art genius Edmund Bagwell (nee Kitsune):