Main Menu

London Super Comic Con 2017

Started by Eamonn Clarke, 11 October, 2016, 08:34:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mardroid

I found out today I'll probably be leaving work earlier than I thought so I'll likely use the ticket after all. (I won't be on time, but I should be there long enough for it be worthwhile. Nobody has expressed an interest int he ticket, anyway, which makes sense as those of you who are going would likely have purchased yours already.)

Anyway, I'm glad. I was rather disappointed at the thought of missing it.

sheridan

Mini-Southern Contingent Gathering at the Steam Passage Tavern on Upper Street (the closest pub to LSCC) - meet up at seven on the Saturday!
Relevant thread on facebook here though I'm sure Eamonn will create an event soon.

sheridan

Quote from: sheridan on 25 August, 2017, 11:02:01 AM
Mini-Southern Contingent Gathering at the Steam Passage Tavern on Upper Street (the closest pub to LSCC) - meet up at seven on the Saturday!
Relevant thread on facebook here though I'm sure Eamonn will create an event soon.

Facebook event here.

SuperSurfer

Nice one. See some of you chaps tomorrow.

Mardroid

I finished work pretty early so managed to attend at least 3 hours of the convention in the end, which was enough.

I was able to buy issue 1 of the Ultimate 2000AD collection and a Dredd pin badge from the 2000AD store. I also attended Search Destroy. I've seen the film several times already, as well as at the 2000AD anniversary event, but it was nice to see the final version of the film on the big screen. They also had a panel after with the creators and Matthews Simpson, the actor who plays Johnny Alpha, which was very nice to see.

I attended another event after which dealt with transition of comics to film. I confess my tiredness (early mornings with not enough sleep in between) caught up with me then  and I kept nodding off.

The LSSC Friday was a rather subdued event overall. Outside the panel rooms events it was  essentially lots of comic shops (not a bad thing to be fair) and a few cosplayers, some pretty impressive. Of course it might pick up a bit more tomorrow.

I'm Im at a local pub, The Fox on the Green now. I didn't want to go straight home as I was feeling thirsty. It also gave me an opportunity to check out the new volume, of The Horned God. It is rather nice.

Haul:
Slaine//The Horned God
Dredd pin badge
Strontium Dog pin badge (Free for attendees of the FILM. Thanks guys,  it's lovely. )

Not a massive haul, but that's not the point.

Steve Green

Have had a stinking cold all week, but had committed to the Q+A.

It was pretty quiet, not surprising considering it's the Friday opening, going on until 8pm.

I had planned to go straight back to bed after the Q+A, but Philip Vaughan had said he was meeting Steve Macmanus for a few pints, so we did that and it was lovely to have a chat with TMO.

He mentioned that he'd chatted to Doug Church, who I'd love to hear interviewed for a thrillcast...

Anyway skipping LSCC today, and heading back on Sunday.

Curious to hear reports back, all the cards seem to have been thrown up in the air with a few cons this year.

- Steve

Eamonn Clarke

Simon and I are in Camden head across the road. We have a corner table.

Jimmy Baker's Assistant

Quote from: Mardroid on 25 August, 2017, 08:51:55 PM
The LSSC Friday was a rather subdued event overall. Outside the panel rooms events it was  essentially lots of comic shops (not a bad thing to be fair) and a few cosplayers, some pretty impressive. Of course it might pick up a bit more tomorrow.

There were also 120 tables in artists alley, which was at points quite lonely. I suspect if show attendees didn't know we were there, that might help to explain the tumbleweeds. Things picked up a bit today.

Mardroid

It took me a little while to find the panel rooms, artist alley.* The floor plan in the leaflet gave a rough idea, but the fact the panel rooms were a floor higher than the main floor wasn't too clear. (Or maybe I'm just rubbish at reading maps!)

*I didn't attend the latter in the end. I'd run out of time, and I couldn't afford any art.

Steve Green

Skipped the Saturday to get a bit of rest, tried again today.

It was OK, I've never really been a fan of the ExCel as a venue.

The Business Design Centre is a bit more varied - althought the main hall was very warm, the artists alley was squirreled away in a thankfully cooler bit of the building, although that was split on 2 floors so not sure how accessible it was for people struggling with stairs.

Caught the Comics in Education panel with Dan Slott, Mike Collins, Dave Gibbons and Erica Schultz, which was very entertaining with untold stories of Ren and Stimpy, Dave not getting to wear his cape as Poet Laureate, and his establishing the non-existence of God.

Also caught up with Eamonn, Iz and Stace amongst others.

It was very 2000 AD light in guests (no related panels either that I could see), but we've got TB next month for that.

Jimmy Baker's Assistant

Perplexing day today. Main exhibition closed at 2pm (at least two hours too early, really). This in theory should have pushed more people jump to the artists alley as that was allowed to carry on until 3:30. In practice, it looked to me as if people just left, feeling a bit aggrieved.

Overall, I think I agree with Steve. The show was okay, but not great. Hope they go back to the same venue next year, but find a better way to integrate the exhibitors with the artists, skip the Friday and run a full Sunday.

Steve Green

Yeah, I never really get the Friday preview things - and the decision to close half the exhibition that early today is pretty baffling.

I'd avoid having these events at bank holidays as well, it's notorious now for engineering works, just seems a way of restricting attendees/guests unnecessarily.

I didn't see any other panels, but the one I mentioned didn't have a mod as such. I think it was *supposed* to be Dan, at least that what he said, but it tended to drift more towards Erica.

Felt a bit different anyway.

matty_ae

Bendis was a on great form and an amazing guest so was Terry Dodson.

Not thrilled to turn up at the start of the day and be told all the Bendis signature tickets had been handed out - presumably the day before.

Bendis agreed to do an additional signing anyway so left very happy

Really odd stopping the vendors at 2PM - only opened to the public at 10.30 so hey a 3.5 hour con.

Got lovely sketch from DANI, chatted to Chris Weston. And the 2000ad had a bit of a fire sale so bought loads of Books and the full Boo Cook print heavily discounted.

Thanks to Simon for getting my Rogue Trooper signed. Eamon and Steve Green also good to meet up with especially as Eamon presented me with a Mega City Book Club coaster. He won't read this until midnight as I'm sure he'll be uploading a lot of signed charity items to eBay for which he is a legend.

Eamonn Clarke

Slightly odd convention for me but very nice to meet up with Simon, Steve, Rachael, Sheridan, Pete, Chris, Stacey, Iz, Matthew and Rob.

The ebay links are go!
http://forums.2000ad.com/index.php?topic=44744.0

SuperSurfer

One week on and just checking in to say the event seemed rather... flat. Can't put my finger on it. Might be to do with the feeling that it didn't seem that busy, or because creators were situated on different floors to the main area. Maybe it was the lack of familiar faces from the forum. Not quite sure.

I didn't buy much. A Case Files, the last issue of Rok of the Reds and Massacre for Boys.

I met up with a couple of guys from where I work. Both US comic fans. I noticed I had been given the 2000AD Free Comic Book Day prog which I offered to the work colleagues to try and convert them. No chance. They weren't interested. But on the plus side, on my recommendation, one of them did buy the Dredd Mars Attacks book.

Pleasure as always to meet up with the Southers in the evening.