Main Menu

Rogue Trooper review thread...

Started by The Amstor Computer, 20 April, 2006, 02:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richmond Clements

Well I've been clicking away happily in the Play.com sale, and saw Rogue is there for £8.99 on the PS2.

Link: http://www.play.com/Games/PlayStation2/4-/478913/Rogue_Trooper/Product.html" target="_blank">Link

[YT-2]

Proudhuff

I finished it a while back now, enjoyed it, might revisit it on hard just to annoy the sprogs

clawhand Huff
DDT did a job on me

Tweak72

might buy this tomorrow as Dredd vs Death is suckie
+++THRILL POWER, OVERWHELMING++++++THRILL POWER, OVERWHELMING+++

ThryllSeekyr

I brought a cheap copy of 'Path Of Neo' which is turned to be the best 3d action beatem up game ever.

I just wish that it was better made.

Peter Wolf

I have been playing this for an hour or two now.I spent the first part of the game [battlefield getting the feel of the game.

I dont have any criticisms so far.I like the fact there is a stealth element to the game plus the fact that the Norts weak spot is the oxygen tanks.The action on "Gunner" when fitted with a silencer is beautiful.I dont bother deploying Gunner or holograms.

I am not that happy with the aim/throw action of grenades either.

The Norts AI isnt that good either in the fact that they are a bit stupid which helps the gameplay or doesnt depending on wether you think that makes the game less challenging.

I started on Hard level .Given my experience of these things it actually makes very little difference to the game what level you are on except that you sometimes get unlockables by completeing difficulty levels.

Anyway i have not had a very enjoyable day.However i am enjoying this game so its taking the edge off things a bit.

I had to buy this game on Ebay as i could not find a secondhand copy in a shop anywhere.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

Peter Wolf

double post:  There are some quite clever little things in this game.

I am at the Docks and was up against one of those large automated battle Robots.

Going into each arm of the robot is some sort of hydraulic cable.At a distance i had the idea of using Sniper Scope to shoot one of the cables thinking that it may be a weak spot rather than get too close to it and risk dying after already dying 3 times doing just that.

I didnt find scrambling Grenades to be that effective but i havent got used to the Throw/Aim action yet.

Sure enough it worked and the robot fell to the ground.

I like the fact that the programmers of the game have given things like this some thought

ThryllSeekyr

I have got up the Train Level where you have to shoot down the hang gliders and what I think are hoppers or what ever you call them the first time I played thsi game some time last year.

I couldn't get past that level though.

It's still a very good game though.

Thanks to a store in Melbourne called 'Dungeon Crawl' who advertised the game on EBAY along with 'Dredd Vs Death' which is alittle more difficult to play with first person perspective a difficulty on aiming.

Since my Playstation Two is working now, I started playing the games again. I was ina bit of mood the other night. So I was shuffling the games dvd in one by one. I had to find good one to let some steam off with. After getting used to the controls of both games, I realised they are good for this.

So I started playing Rogue Trooper from the start again and I'm was just about finished the level at the sea port right after level where Bag-Man gets killed and Helm is taken alive.

After veiwing Bagman's death scene.

I couldn't but help notice that when this happened the drill tipped transport might have taken his face off if not his whole head. Though there's only a huge gash on his face. ( Huh, dark blue blood....) I thought the censorship board might have a hand this. Then I see later ( As I remember from the earlier time I had played this game....) the full extent of damage done to the traitors face. ( Yes, he 's quite horrible to look at.)

Favorite parts of the game so far......

Shooting the sensors off those automatoned turret guns and using a kill move on them for extra salvage points and also using the kill move when you sneak up behind the Naval Nort soldiers on the docks.

I remember fighting the huge robot things from the first time around also. Though I haven't quite got there yet....
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
PeterWolf says....

Going into each arm of the robot is some sort of hydraulic cable.At a distance i had the idea of using Sniper Scope to shoot one of the cables thinking that it may be a weak spot rather than get too close to it and risk dying after already dying 3 times doing just that.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I didn't know that muyself. Might try it.

I hope I finish the game this time around.....

Even cheats in the game don't won't help on the
train level.

Peter Wolf

Its hard to resist playing it again for a couple of hours but i have to get up in the morning.

Its tempting though !

ThryllSeekyr

It's  shame that your not allowed to pilot any of the vechiles,( The Hoppers, Speed Boats.) except when for when in one of the cut scens Rogue gets Helm to pilot a Hopper while Rogue mans the cannon.

Not really the same as piloting it yourself.

Concerning the abilities of the Gunnar. As a sentry gun. There is one in this game where the Naval norts keep entering one of the inner sections of the sea port. It's probably become the most obivious thing to do....

Placing the sentry gun right in front of the elevator doors. Sit back, put down the controller and take a break while Gunnar does all the work. Though I'm not sure how long you can do this, but those Norts were using the elvator for what seemed long time.

I was wondering if anybdoy has tried putting the Sentry gun inside the elevator. Like I did.

It still works, though sometimes it doesn't hit any of them until they have exited.

It's just very funny seeing it dissappear once the doors shut again.  

I also think that Gunnar's has been given the best lines. Mostly shouting taunts and abuse while in Sentry mode. Very funny.

I also like watching how Bagman works, taking the salvage, using the medkit. The animations for the mechanical arms work really well.

The game music was well chosen and very apparopiate to the theme. It's got the heart beat rythymn, that sets the pace for running and shooting. Espeically with the staccatto gun blasts included.

Mardroid

I love this game, but I can't get past the train level either.

Main problem is, you really need to get past the first half of that sequence with minimal damage to the train. If there's more you fail and when you are returned you're on 50%. trouble is I find it impossible to complete the rest of that level on 50%.

Of course I'm probably a bit rubbish...

ThryllSeekyr

Well, thanks for that.

You make me feel so much better about myself.

Bad Andy

Still don't understand the problem with the train level. It only took me two goes.

I'm going to load this up now!

Peter Wolf

I am just about to start the train scene for the first time .

After a short break.

Peter Wolf

Its not easy but i got through it.

You have to hit the gliders as soon as you can before they get too close and start dropping bombs on the train..They are easy to hit.