Main Menu

Doctor Who Season 9

Started by Goaty, 09 July, 2015, 10:57:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CrazyFoxMachine

That was much better than the flimsy first half (directly obfuscating our first half strong/second half weak talk from a while back so therefore solution = different writer for the second half!) and although, as always, it could have done with a bit of trimming YESWEGETITSHEHASBEENMADEBITTER Williams was great, Capaldi here was utterly grand and dammit but I just like Rufus Hound. He's jolly. The idea of Williams & Hound being an immortal double act is a good one - hope this isn't the last we see of them!

Agreed though the lion element was a bit meh - reminded me of Russell T Davies's''ss' era where the aliens were like

sheridan

Quote from: CrazyFoxMachine on 25 October, 2015, 11:08:55 PM
dammit but I just like Rufus Hound. He's jolly. The idea of Williams & Hound being an immortal double act is a good one - hope this isn't the last we see of them!

Maisie Williams - always [spoiler]hanging around with the Hound[/spoiler] :-)

Richmond Clements

Quote from: sheridan on 26 October, 2015, 07:54:11 AM
dammit but I just like Rufus Hound. He's jolly. The idea of Williams & Hound being an immortal double act is a good one - hope this isn't the last we see of them!

Oh well played! I hereby award you 100 internetz!

CrazyFoxMachine

Tiplodocus

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 26 October, 2015, 10:00:47 AM
Quote from: sheridan on 26 October, 2015, 07:54:11 AM

Oh well played! I hereby award you 100 internetz!

Nope, this has gone over my head. Should I hand in my geek card for not haing a clue as to who Masie Williams is.  (And for thinking her opening "It is I" type  line was atrociously delivered as well)
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 26 October, 2015, 01:07:25 PMNope, this has gone over my head. Should I hand in my geek card for not haing a clue as to who Masie Williams is.  (And for thinking her opening "It is I" type  line was atrociously delivered as well)
She plays a prominent character in Game of Thrones, who [spoiler]ends up sort-of captured by a mercenary called the Hound[/spoiler].

Tiplodocus

Thanks. I only have council TV so Game of Thrones, and hence Ms Williams, is unknown to me as yet.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Goaty

Jimmy Baker's Assistant

It was quite good, really, that crappy scene with the soldier's "mother" aside.

Here's hoping the pay-off actually matches the build-up.

The Enigmatic Dr X

What do you expect if you let shape-shifting aliens on your planet?

I say, let Zygons be Zygons.
Lock up your spoons!

Modern Panther

Wow...That was some heavy handed metaphor. :cool:

Leigh S

Havent watched it yet, but Zygons are such a great design... I caannot fathom how they have made them look so lame and tacky, with the pointy teeth and angry faces they looks like Sontaron mis-shapes ratehr than the sinister baby faced monstrosities of the 70s.

JamesC

Absolute crap with some truly awful acting to boot.

CrazyFoxMachine

This felt nicely old skool with lots of slow building tension and UNIT running about but yes, the visual cues were PARTICULARLY on the nose. I can imagine the Osgood-being-filmed-in-front-of-black-and-white-flag thing getting some complaints for example. Also at the end [spoiler]"Clara's dead. Kate Stewart's dead. BANG I've blown up yer plane"[/spoiler] was robbed of its dramatic tension because the entirety of the audience [spoiler]knows that they're not dead. This isn't Game of Thrones. Hinging the whole thing on that just feels disingenuous.[/spoiler]

Not bad though apart from that. Top points for Rebecca Front as well - the cosmic Thick of It reunion continues!

Also - the second attempt to do NuWho from Peter Harness who adapted Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell so successfully this year. Miles ahead of the faintly risible Kill the Moon he churned out last season.

JamesC

Top points for Rebecca Front? She was one of the worst culprits for bad acting.
She's usually pretty good but was just awful in this and (bizarre casting decision) was about as convincing as a military commander as my left arse cheek would be!