Main Menu

You Can Take Away My Geek Card Because…

Started by Jim_Campbell, 21 October, 2015, 08:41:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Adventurer

Sky Captain was great, and I lament it not becoming a franchise.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Goaty

My fave moments of John Carter is his beautiful longest jumps!

And this;

Dark Jimbo

'Nother big fan of Sky Captain here. In fact I'm wondering why on earth I don't have the DVD! Time to rectify that!
@jamesfeistdraws

Richmond Clements

At the risk of sounding a bit Thryll Seekyr... Sky Captain had Angelina Jolie dressed n leather and wearing an eye-patch. 
I'm not sure what else a movie needs.

Professor Bear

Quote from: The Adventurer on 22 October, 2015, 10:11:46 PM
Quote from: Zombear on 22 October, 2015, 09:21:07 PM
Quote from: The Adventurer on 22 October, 2015, 08:09:47 PM
Quote from: Zombear on 22 October, 2015, 06:18:02 PM
If you think there's only negativity in this thread, I suspect that is more on you than everyone else.  There's people back there saying Prometheus is a good movie, I really don't see where else there is to go to prove my point.

Quote from: The Adventurer on 22 October, 2015, 05:20:04 PM
Quote from: Zombear on 22 October, 2015, 10:35:41 AM
New BSG was about sex robots.
It really wasn't. At all.

It was.  Totes.

HA that's him told.

The only way you could believe that is if you turned the premier mini-series off after the first sex scene.

"The first sex scene."
Yes? BSG was a series about sexually mature adults in an extreme prolonged situation stuck in close quarters. Sex is bound to occur at some point.

With robots.  Hence sex robots.

Eric Plumrose

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 22 October, 2015, 10:37:31 PM
At the risk of sounding a bit Thryll Seekyr... Sky Captain had Angelina Jolie dressed n leather and wearing an eye-patch. 
I'm not sure what else a movie needs.

Weird. I don't remember Franky having a pencil moustache.
Not sure if pervert or cheesecake expert.

The Adventurer

Quote from: Zombear on 22 October, 2015, 10:43:35 PM
If you think there's only negativity in this thread, I suspect that is more on you than everyone else.  There's people back there saying Prometheus is a good movie, I really don't see where else there is to go to prove my point.

It was.  Totes.

HA that's him told.

The only way you could believe that is if you turned the premier mini-series off after the first sex scene.

"The first sex scene."
Yes? BSG was a series about sexually mature adults in an extreme prolonged situation stuck in close quarters. Sex is bound to occur at some point.

With people. Mostly humans actually.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Quote from: The Adventurer on 23 October, 2015, 12:03:42 AM

It was.  Totes.

HA that's him told.

"The first sex scene."

You have both earned your're geek card's quite beautifully.

Someone mentioned the New Robocop. It's a good movie. It's only failing is that they tried to remake a classic. They should have called it something else. If they had just acknowledged that the genre* was awesome, they could have made that movie without worrying about comparisons to the original.

*the genre being a dystopian future, where the best cop wasn't so much trained in an academy, as he was concocted in a lab. We all know how amazing that genre is...
You may quote me on that.

Professor Bear

It was.  Totes.

HA that's him told.

"The first sex scene."

And robots.  Hence sex robots.

The Adventurer

Quote from: Zombear on 23 October, 2015, 01:10:57 AM

It was.  Totes.

HA that's him told.

"The first sex scene."

I suspect you might have a hang up about sexual relationships with non-human sentients. Humoid Cylons are no more 'machine' they you or I, being organic and built off a human template.

Mardroid

.... I used to watch Ally McBeal and I quite enjoyed it.

On paper it should be everything I dislike. It's a Law Drama (yawn), its very girly and involves a young woman's love life and lack thereof. (Double yawnnnn!l

But it was so darned quirky and funny! And it got very surreal at times. (As much if not more than many geekish shows.) And I liked the ridiculous characters. And rather fancied her sexy housemate, I will admit.

I will say I went off it after a while. It got repetitive and then same themes grated after a while. But I liked it for quite some time.. although whether I would now or not is another thing.

I'm pleased to see the defence of Predator 2 here. I found some of the acting cheesy but it was a good film which did something different with the basic premise. The original film is mainly just about tough guys out of their depth trying to survive this alien threat. (And that's not a criticism. It was great for that!) Predator 2 plays it from a police investigation stand-point. And involves a gang war too.

I remember having mixed feelings when I learnt Predators was coming out. I was really stoked for the new predator film, but irritated by the repetitive statement that they were getting back to the quality of the original as there hadn't been anything like it since then. Well, predators (which I did like by the way) did turn out to be rather close to the original, but was that a good thing?

Predator 2 on the other hand WAS original. I'm not saying it was better than the first, but it should be lauded for doing something different. And, as I said, it was a good film..

Professor Bear

Quote from: The Adventurer on 23 October, 2015, 01:46:08 AM
Quote from: Zombear on 23 October, 2015, 01:10:57 AM

It was.  Totes.

HA that's him told.

"The first sex scene."

I suspect you might have a hang up about sexual relationships with non-human sentients. Humoid Cylons are no more 'machine' they you or I, being organic and built off a human template.

I liked the bit where the Cylons' spines glow neon red when they have sex.  You know - like human spines do.  Clearly they do this to better infiltrate human society undetected, leaving no clue as to their mechanical origins.

I also liked the bit where the Cylon lady cures a computer virus by sticking one end of a wire into the computer and the other into a vein in her arm.  You know - like how humans use the internet.

Tiplodocus

I have no idea who Jessica Jones is. 

(Despite her appearing in the Mighty Avengers thing I just read). 

In fact, before the films, I had barely any idea who any of the Marvel people were outside of Spiderman, Daredevil, Elektra and the Fantastic Four.  I knew the basic concepts Thor, Hulk and Iron-Man but had never read a comic.  And I have fuck all idea about who any of the villains are outside of Doc Ock, Green Goblin and Kingpin.

Similarly, I know a bit about Batman and Supes but have only ever read one Wonder Woman comic.  I know the basic concepts of some of the JLA (Flash, Green thing and other Green thing) but yeah, I really should hand in my geek card.

Some of you lot are well read in books as well. And know shit about films. And football. And politics. And can draw. And write. Where do you find the time?
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

shaolin_monkey

I love Waterworld.

There, I've said it.  What a weight off my shoulders that is.

It's my third favourite Dennis Hopper film.

JamesC

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 23 October, 2015, 02:58:21 PM
I love Waterworld.

There, I've said it.  What a weight off my shoulders that is.

It's my third favourite Dennis Hopper film.

What are the other two?

One of them should be True Romance (my favourite Tony Scott film).