Main Menu

Life Spugs because...

Started by Dog Deever, 04 March, 2009, 08:00:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

House of Usher

It's bad when someone gets away with passing off other people's work as their own, especially if they manage to make themselves look better than everyone else into the bargain. I don't think I've ever been up against 'cheats' in my learning, because the resources for that cheating were not available on the Internet (we didn't even have an Internet before I started my PhD), and all my formal assessments were based upon original data collection and analysis or relative skill at handling lecture notes and reading lists provided by corse leaders, so they would have known the books students would have been copying from.

In my teaching experience, plagiarism in the non-GCSE classes I teach doesn't even matter (there, I've said it!). The only GCSE student whose plagiarism I uncovered dropped out of the course when the student she was copying from refused to let her read any more of her essays. Yes it was as simple and as bare-faced as that.

The most serious case was when I was teaching adult education for the university where I did my teacher training. I had a student there who had to submit two pieces of work for a 12-week course. She plagiarised both from the Internet adding very few words of her own. Having been caught once she did it the second time. When I gave her a failing grade she complained to the course leader that I hadn't given her enough guidance and that she didn't know what else to do under the circumstances. Of course: how eminently reasonable; to say little of the fact she had missed classes when the assignment was discussed, she had not availed herself of the individual tutorials offered, and she was in any case busy with a personal project unconnected with the course at the time the assignment was given.
STRIKE !!!

Peter Wolf

Quote from: Noisybast on 12 August, 2009, 11:51:22 PM
I've just started a second job working evenings and weekends doing PC-repairs on a call-out basis.

Yeah, I thought it was good news, too. That's before you factor in the relatively low hourly rate, the distance I'm having to travel to and from jobs (2 jobs in and I've yet to have a round trip under 70 miles). And the sheer stress of fixing faults against the clock in an uncontrolled environment (customer's homes), without access to all my usual tools and fallbacks (like, say, the internet or Windows OS CDs).

I'm giving it one more go before I kick it in the head as not worth my while...  >:(

I know someone who used to do this and they said it was nothing but hassle sometimes partly because some of his clients were stupid and unreasonable.

It seems to me that anyone asking for a callout at short notice should be charged a premium for the privelage as its not unreasonable.Also i dont know if you can charge them your fuel costs per mile and perhaps try and factor in an extra tenner or so for your time spent in the car but its an idea.

I had a chat today with the alleged Paedophile accuser and it seems that he doesnt know what i am talking about and he denies ever saying such things and given that i am very good at spotting if someone is lying i am inclined to believe him because if he was lying or uncomfortable i would have noticed it.The person who informed me of the accusation is also a bit of a troublemaker so unless i see the proof which is the emails i am never going to be absolutely sure which one of them is telling the truth but quite honestly i would rather just let it lie and move on because i dont have the time to play silly games with people.

Also i learnt to control my aggressive impulses a long time ago so its a good thing i didnt overreact if you know what i mean.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

House of Usher

Have they started rationing punctuation now?
STRIKE !!!

COMMANDO FORCES

That's the way Peter talks, he doesn't give you the chance to jump in ;)

Noisybast

Quote from: peterwolf on 13 August, 2009, 06:26:38 PM
It seems to me that anyone asking for a callout at short notice should be charged a premium for the privelage as its not unreasonable.Also i dont know if you can charge them your fuel costs per mile and perhaps try and factor in an extra tenner or so for your time spent in the car but its an idea.

Sadly not. I'm working for a company, so I have to abide by their pricing/charging scheme, which somehow sees the customer paying significantly more and me receiving significantly less.

On the up-side, today's job was relatively hassle-free, situated on my way home from the day job and involved setting up a router and printer for an amazingly attractive young lady and her two sisters. I feel marginally better about the whole situation now...
Dan Dare will return for a new adventure soon, Earthlets!

House of Usher

1. the Job Centre is making work for itself by assuming my partner's earnings to be constant from one week to the next even though they're variable and have actually ceased from 1st August. Thus they have calculated our income incorrectly resulting in an underpayment of £10 per week rising to £20 per week. This, despite having given us fortnightly forms on which to declare her earnings. Because they guessed a regular weekly income they've now got to reassess the claim, despite having been told amounts and dates of earnings.

2. claims are routinely suspended for reassessment even when benefit entitlement is being looked at for revision upwards, so even if they may need to pay you more than they have been paying, they stop paying you anything until they've worked out the new amount.

3. my partner did a teaching job that paid £60 over two weeks. She gets to keep £20 of that. She might as well have turned the work away.

4. despite paying her own self-employed N.I. contributions, she can't receive full JSA, so hers is means tested. As a couple we receive about £30 less than two single people sharing the same house, yet the same amount of her earnings is deducted from benefits as would be deducted for a single person. The same decuction leaves a couple more out of pocket.

5. I want a salaried job so I don't have to deal with this kind of crap any more, dammit.
STRIKE !!!

Noisybast

That's what always riled me when I was unemployed. Whilst I was actively looking for work and wanted to work, it would have been madness to consider taking a part-time job. I'd have been no better off financially, but I'd have less time to invest in looking for a full-time job. Bit of a counterproductive system, I thought.
Surely it would encourage more people into taking up part-time positions (and thus improve employment figures)if the worker was allowed to keep some of the money they earned? How much of the twenty quid your partner was granted do you reckon was spent on transport to and from the job?

We might as well all give in, sign up for the Jeremy Kyle marathon and start going to the shops in our pyjamas during the mid-afternoon.
Dan Dare will return for a new adventure soon, Earthlets!

TordelBack

Quote5. I want a salaried job so I don't have to deal with this kind of crap any more, dammit.

Have you considered a management position in the Job Centre?  Seems like you'd ace the interview!   :-*

I feel for you though squire, any day now I'm expecting your Poe avatar to turn into a large beetle.

Banners

...we have made a complaint against a supplier about an order where 10% of the items (exactly 25 out of 250) were sub-standard and unusable. Despite being a regular, repeat customer of theirs, our supplier has said that whilst they accept these 25 were sub-standard, their policy is to only deal with complaints where more than 10% of items have been affected.

Ggnnnnhhh!!!

M@

Kerrin

That's just plain crap. If we tried that with a customer (and we wouldn't) I would fully expect to them to find a new supplier. What a way to do business. I presume you're only going to pay for 225 of the items Matt, personally I wouldn't pay for any until I had the 250 in fully satisfactory order.

House of Usher

Quote from: Banners on 14 August, 2009, 04:51:35 PM
our supplier has said that whilst they accept these 25 were sub-standard, their policy is to only deal with complaints where more than 10% of items have been affected.

Fark. And they want people to do repeat business with them??
STRIKE !!!

TordelBack

Roger Godpleton

In retrospect my sister getting a 2:2 is far more impressive than my underacheiving 2:1 ways.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

Peter Wolf

I just scrapped a piece of art i was working on as it went wrong.

Oh well there goes 5 hours of my time and effort wasted.

I Fucking HATE IT when that happens.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

WoD

USHER changes profile pick...and now I'm confused...