Main Menu

PS3 10 november world release

Started by Devons Daddy, 21 April, 2006, 11:49:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Something Fishy

i agree about yanks on live.

every time i try to go back to it i just get put off by being insulted by some sad american 12 year old with anger management issues.

i also, much prefer offline play.  The only online i like are MMO's.  I don't like the charge thouh.

Bico

The crashing and freezing thing is not unprecedented, apparantly.  I've got the power block well-ventilated by a window, but it doesn't do the job.  This all started after I updated the internal OS, I notice, and like the original Xbox, the damn thing now no longer remembers the time or date.  My wristwatch cost one pound fifty and doesn't seem to have this problem, so I phoned Microsoft's helpline to ask about these little troubles, and was quite annoyed that I seem to be more aware about how these things worked than the gentleman on the other end of the phone.  His suggestion?  Don't turn the machine off.  EVER.
Hello?  Energy saving?
You'd hardly need telling they're an American company, with that attitude to energy consumption.

I'm not anti-American, btw.  Just anti-the ones that make twats of themselves and annoy me.

Art

I have to say I have absolutely no interest in HDDVD/Blue Ray until we see which one is the new betamax. TBH I probably don't have much interets in higher definition DVDs to begin with, unless I buy a new cinema sized TV set.

Tiplodocus

I don't really want to see the cast of EASTENDERS in High Definition. They are ugly enough at normal resolutions.

Regardless of the arguments against, it's the info DD listed at the top that the salesboy in DIXONS will be quoting.

I'm getting old now so I don't quite remember but BETAMAX was actually the better format wasn't it? It took years before VHS players got to the same sound quality and footprint.

Viva La Revolution!
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Keef Monkey

I've not even fully replaced all my VHS tapes with DVD copies and now I'm gonna have to replace them?!? I know I won't necessarily haaaaaaaaave to, but I will if I want to be the coolest kid on the block and all that jazz. As for the 360 overheating thingy, I know there were a lot of duff ones sold but me and my brother both got one at launch and have had no problems with either of them so it seems to have just been a dodgy batch in the mix somewhere.

Art has the best idea, there's no point in spending a fortune on a player if it's going to wind up unsupported a few months down the line. UMD, the bell tolls for thee...

Devons Daddy

i think nintendo may be the dark horse.
with the controler so damn cool,and the price so low,it could be the horse to back.

as long as the game developers back it up at least.

they say DVD is the fastest selling electronic device in history.i agree with the question, then why try to replace it so soon?

I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!

philt

ah the new "betamax"

The superior format that failed. Consumers didn't want better picture quality, less wear and tear, more reliable decks, smaller machines they wanted to watch the latest Charles Bronson movie through the muzzy haze of the VHS picture. So it's a bit like th current fixation with mp3 (which sound worse than FM radio let alone CD or Hi Def SACD or DVDA) and LCD / Plasma TV's (worse picture than CRT, more fragile, crap contrast, image lag, screen burn and barely capable of displaying standard res TV pictures let alone Hi Def)- But the public wants them so..

As for betamax - it's interesting that all the innovations in VCR's happened on Beta machines first (picture search, stereo sound, hifi stereo, PCM recording, front loading, long play etc) but there was another thing than Betamax established - in the States at least which was the right for the consumer to tape programmes off the TV in the first place. Disney and others sued Sony to stop this.

Of course what Sony learned from the failure of Betamax was something that we still see today wich is it doesn't matter how good your format is you need to have software to play on it. Is it a coincidence that before they launched the Playstation they bought up loads of software houses? Was it just happenstance that Sony also own Columbia Pictures and CBS records?  

Who is going to win? Dead simple really Blu-Ray. Sony own software providers and have shrewdly signed up all of the largest consumer electronics companies to the format.

As for the point of these formats? I can only assume you haven't seen Hi Definition going

Something Fishy

They said DivX would simply win because it had industry support.  where is it now?

To write off HD/DVD with the support of MS and Intel is a little premature.

The fact that it is half the price and has a name people recognise might be no small thing too.

Truth is, we don't know and have to wait and see how it pans out.

philt

yeah divx with picture quality marginally better than VCD and no software support. How did it fail? Who knows. I suppose it's one of those great mysteries

Devons Daddy

mistake. the price quoted for PS3 is Singapore dollars. its likely to be $600 usd at first launch and down to $499USD after the christmas rush.

word on the BLU RAY,disney is backing it.but not backing the other thing. if sony sell 20 million units of ps3,which is expected, thats 20 million blu ray players,in your homes trojan horse style.

word is blu ray has all the big studios except universal at this point agreeing to use the format,while disney and sony not agreeing to use the other one.

i would put my money on blu-ray.
I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!

Max Kon

from my mate who works for sony music, all the guys there are laughing at the electronics shitting themselves over the revolution and preparing to  shelve the Blue Ray idea

Something Fishy

I was making the point though that studio support is not the only key factor.

we shall see but i don;t think the unfluence of MS and Intel in the PC industry can be ignored.