Main Menu

PLEASANTLY SURPRISED BY THE NEW STAR TREK: DISCOVERY SERIES

Started by Jim_Campbell, 10 October, 2017, 06:53:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiplodocus

Quote from: SmallBlueThing(Reborn) on 21 October, 2020, 10:58:44 AM
We have Netflix on the tv in the bedroom, but I'm not fond of watching tv in bed, so I will wait for the box set.

SBT

It may be cheaper, if your other telly has an HDMI input to buy something like a Firestick. On which you can get Netflix. And then you can watch Netflix from somewhere that's not the bedroom.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

pictsy

Wow, kinda surprised by the negativity towards the new shows.

Quote from: Link Prime on 21 October, 2020, 08:38:43 AM
Then I got to an early season 2 episode wherein the ditzy one (Tilly?) made some doohickey to capture dark matter or something and the crew of grinning nobodies actually stopped what they were doing to applaud her.

I'm going to have to quibble over this.

Those people didn't just stop what they were doing to applaud Tilly.  They were all working together to accomplish the same task and applauded a job well done when Tilly announced "This is the power of Math, people!".  Not a great line, I'll admit, but it's no where near as bad as you made out here.  You may now resume disliking the show.

For me, I have been loving it.  I didn't think much of the first season the first time I watched it, but on a second viewing it all clicked for me.  There are some janky edges to the show and I ain't gonna worry over that because they are minor.  I'm just happy that I started seeing the value in the show, because I've got a new show that I enjoy. 

My biggest disappointment with new Trek is there isn't the courage for a big time skip, like from TOS to TNG.  Maybe they were afraid of alienating fans.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 21 October, 2020, 08:34:17 PM
It may be cheaper, if your other telly has an HDMI input to buy something like a Firestick. On which you can get Netflix. And then you can watch Netflix from somewhere that's not the bedroom.

Yeah... alternatively, I picked up a Chromecast for somewhere under £30, whacked it in an HDMI port — took about ten minutes to configure both it and Google Home on my phone and I can send any streaming service I have an app for on either my phone or iPad to the TV.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Tiplodocus

After a wobbly "Let's shoot everybody" start, the next THREE episodes of Season 3 have been pretty solid Star Trek.

The Trill episode was lovely and very touching with good science fiction concepts and a crew working to solve a problem if ever so cheesy.

So Star Trek then.

pictsy

I finished the second season yesterday but won't start on season 3 until it's finished airing and after I've finished Babylon 5.  I nearly wet myself with joy with the end of the second season and I'm looking forward to seeing TNG/DS9/Voyager era races appear.

wedgeski

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 15 November, 2020, 08:08:27 PM
After a wobbly "Let's shoot everybody" start, the next THREE episodes of Season 3 have been pretty solid Star Trek.

The Trill episode was lovely and very touching with good science fiction concepts and a crew working to solve a problem if ever so cheesy.

So Star Trek then.
Agreed on all counts. This is sci-fi as tonic, with the crew insisting on hope in the face of paranois and cynicism. A couple of nice nods to existing canon as well ([spoiler]mention of Voyager must surely mean the EMH will put in an appearance, especially since the new EMH/AI doctor is such a doofus[/spoiler]).

For better or worse this feels like unfettered Star Trek. It's not stuck creating something new in a vague prelude to what we've already seen (the end of S2 neatly put a cork in that bottle). It can rewrite the entire universe if it wants, and it's carefully treading that path. I'm enjoying every second.

shaolin_monkey

Hmm. I haven't seen ep 4 yet. I found ep 3 just a bit too schmaltzy and turgid. Perhaps a bit too 'Next Gen' for me. Discussing feelings and everyone trying to get along in difficult times etc.

No doubt I'll check out ep 4 shortly, but ep 3 made me feel a bit 'meh' towards the series.

Dandontdare

I'm afraid ep4 continues to plough that furrow, and felt very next-genny, but in a good way. It had a certain trillpower (I'll get my coat). Ep.5 felt  rather TOS in it's done-and-dusted resolution to their first official Starfleet mission. I'm enjoying the ride, it's contemporary in it's style and tropes (every series is very much 'of it's time') but with enough Trek-anchors that it still feels like home

Magnetica

Quote from: pictsy on 11 November, 2020, 10:13:47 AM
My biggest disappointment with new Trek is there isn't the courage for a big time skip, like from TOS to TNG.  Maybe they were afraid of alienating fans.

Well they have just skipped forward 930 years!

pictsy

Quote from: Magnetica on 22 November, 2020, 08:09:10 AM
Quote from: pictsy on 11 November, 2020, 10:13:47 AM

Well they have just skipped forward 930 years!

As I discovered (and figured out) when I finished Season 2.  I'm looking forward to watching it but I'm not going to until I've finished rewatching Babylon 5.

Tiplodocus

Still enjoying this - just up to the prison break episode. Oded Fehr adds more handsomeness to the cast as the (overly?) cautious head of Star Fleet.

But I wonder if my view of all of the hologram, nano tech, morphable ships ("that seems unlikely") is how my parents viewed the technology in the original Star Trek.

It seems like with that kind of technology, our relationship with it would have changed to make it almost unrecognizable but they just seem to be using it in the same manner we are today.

Oh and I wish *Every* conversation wasn't *so* earnest.

Mardroid

Enjoying this series also.

Concerning the technology: while I can see it's  more advanced than the other shows as befitting the even further future setting, I do find myself wondering, is it 800 years more advanced? The personal transporters, gooey interface tech and segregated warp nacelles - these are all thing that I'd think would have been invented within a century or two of the last Star Trek prime line set films,etc. (To be fair, they did mention some ships had advanced biotechnology too, but we haven't seen much of that yet, and I think there were alien cultures with that in past Star Trek series time periods.)

There's that shifting matter thing too, where rooms configure and a floor grows in front of you as you enter a room, all very nifty, (and slightly unnerving, I'd imagine, considering what could happen if the system got hacked, or got a virus). Even that doesn't seem too far away in technology when you consider replicators, transporters and physical interacting holograms. Some might say the holodecks were even beyond that in a way, since you could pretty much create anything almost instantly and physically interact with it, although I think it requires advanced force fields and projectors, etc.

Then I remember the Burn, which means there could be some major technological setbacks and catching up to do, so I guess that makes their current technological state a bit more plausible.

This doesn't spoil my enjoyment of the show, but it does feel more like 2 centuries ahead at most rather than 8 or 9.

Dandontdare

Sci-fi is always about extrapolating current tech - eg big computers with tape reels in 50s films set in the 25th century - but I think it works much better in S:3. The first 2 felt incongruous - I can buy the spore drive being experimental/lost tech, but everything else seemed far more advanced than pre-Kirk tech.

And yes, I guess the burn would cause a massive setback, I kind of galactic 'dark ages' if you will.

I've been wondering what the repair droids in the opening credits reminded me of and then it hit me - a cross between the robots in Colony Earth and the Herbies from Fantastic Four.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Dandontdare on 01 December, 2020, 05:20:29 PM
I've been wondering what the repair droids in the opening credits reminded me of and then it hit me - a cross between the robots in Colony Earth and the Herbies from Fantastic Four.

@jamesfeistdraws