Main Menu

LOOM and with a sublte connection to DR WHO.

Started by ThryllSeekyr, 07 August, 2009, 03:04:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ThryllSeekyr

I downloaded this old DOS based game from STEAM last night/early this morning.
Despite having some version of DOS on my computer, I don't think the game needs it. Something to do with STEAM. it works around this.

It's one of those charming old games that were around before computers with the powerful graphic capabilites of today were in regular usage.

Not that I have heard of this.particular game before. Though I know of plenty like it..

] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loom_(video_game)]

[spoiler]I thought it was cool and inovative when I started playing this one. A point and click, that involves solving puzzles by playing musical notes in particular sequence on a DISTAFF obtained in a special room early on in the game. Your only means of interaction.

The playing of the ten musical pieces I have learnt so far--twenty if they are played backwards-- After a while the this does get repetatitive and with no aparent SAVE function.I have Though I doubt this was included. The game is only a five dollar purchase to download. Which is still a bargain, becuase this game has a simple charm that many of the todays games lack.

What interestes me the most is sutble reference to Dr Who. Something to do with Lungbarrow stories, and what the early TARDIS might have been like.  As some of you might know this game is about a LOOM. A old device, a early machine used for weaving tapestires. But in this world the LOOM is a artifact and it's tapestries are reality itself or something like that.

Anyway, When I pointed and clicked my way to this desolate beach location with bon fires and a arrangement of tents that surpisingly turned out to be bigger on the inside.then they appaered on the outside.I thought thats sort like the TARDIS.

Walking into one of these, where the inner entrance is always in shadow, but as you proceed further inside. You see it's furnished with pillars, columns, stoneworked walls with colourful stained glassed windows, and tapestires.   .

Finally reaching the room where this fabled LOOM is and there are all these cloaked figures. Other like --Bobbyn THreadbare, the one you control--  wearing different coloured robes..All of them, hooded around this gigantic early sewing machine.. Just look at the picture.

Like I said before, this place is abit like the Dr Who's TARDIS. The whole thing about it having more room on the inside, the giant LOOM, that seems like a analoge to computer consiole. The early TARDIS might have really been as simple as a tent --like one thes in this game-- before Chameleon circuits were implemented and used.. I remembe reading about a spiecal LOOM thing was created by Time-Lord Rassilon.

http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/Loom [/spoiler]