Main Menu

Farewell Bish-OP...

Started by Leigh S, 02 February, 2002, 11:44:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leigh S

And so the final Megazine helmed by Dave Bishop hits the mat. He will be remembered for keeping the thrill flame burning in the Megazine, when it was all but snuffed out over in 2000AD.  He'll also be remembered for being someone who genuinely cared - I often disagreed with his choices and his opinions as expressed in the letters page/editorials, but they were passionately held.  

I take it the cover is in tribute?  

As for the issue itself  (SPOILERS AHEAD!), Dredd has been good in a "The Pit" sort of way (although Wayne Reynolds art didnt really suit the story IMO).  

Wardog is not as bad as people make out - I think a lot of people made up their mind not to like this because of the tie-in factor, but it's solid (if fairly unoriginal) stuff.  

DeMarco is not good - once again Robbie Morrison uses the threat of rape in one of his scripts - this time by an ape - a serious subject once again used as titilation/cheap drama?

The Visible Man is a weird choice for reprint - you could have had two unseen Daily Star Dredds for the same space - I know which I would have preferred.  Button Man is as ever, great.

Anyway, I say good luck, Bish-OP - without him fighting the comics corner, who knows if 2000AD would have even survived to be taken over by Rebellion?

Dominic O'Rourke

for a long time, I disliked the way that Bish-op operated on 2kad and then the Meg, in fact the way Diggle took over, seemed to put Bishop in the shade, then (I suppose it's about two years now) I found myself in tears of laughter each time I read Dave's coloumn in Comics International. Any plans revelaed for his future?
Member No. 10