Main Menu

Upcoming Gigs

Started by CrazyFoxMachine, 23 April, 2014, 11:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stu101

Depeche Mode 3rd June London

The gig was great, a return to form that sounded like the stuff they used to do in the mid 90's
I'd highly recommend anyone catching their newly added dates at the end of the year if you're a fan.

Jacqusie

RADIOHEAD tomorrow.

It was due to be at Manchester arena, but after the tragic events a few months ago, they have moved it to Old Trafford Cricket Ground for one big show.

After their brilliant Glastonbury showing, I'm really looking forward to finally seeing them live.

:)

Dandontdare

Not so much upcoming as I just got back from it, but I had a fab weekend at Blue Dot Festival at Jodrell Bank - lots of great bands plus oodles of sciencey stuff, all in the shadow of the mighty Lovell telesope - Big shout out to Conor & Lizzie Boyle who I ran into for the second year running.

Friday's highlight was Leftfield performing the whole of Leftism, closely followed by a night of cosmic space insanity with Age of Glass and Henge. Pixies were okay, but not really my thing - their fans seemed ecstatic though. Most ridiculous amount of stage smoke I've ever seen in my life during their encore!

On Saturday, Shura, Soulwax and Goldfrapp were all pretty good but Orbital blew the fuckin' roof off :D (or would have done if it was indoors) -they even got the Radiophonic Workshop guys up to help with the Dr Who theme.

More subdued on Sunday, didn't get quite so mashed or see so many bands - spent much of the day in vampire mode, hidng Saturday's sunburn by flitting from tent to tent. Warpaint were intersting, and Hawkwind could deliver a festival set in their sleep. Caught up on all the lush festival food and real ales I'd not tried yet.

Didn't see as much science stuff as I intended (again) - the talk by Dave Prowse and Brian Muir (sculptor and model maker behind much of Star Wars, Alien, Bond etc) was full of inertersting subject matter but delivered by two uncharismatic and frankly bored seeming stars. Muir's CV is astonishing but the (out of sync) slideshow playing behind him was far more interesting than his talk which was largely lists of things that he'd made in famous movies , trailing off with "errrm ... and that's how we did that..." Dave Prowse was no more scintillating - Sample of the Q&A:
     (Small child) "Was it hard to breathe in the Darth vader mask"
     (Dave Prowse) "No. It was easy."
     (another small child) "Which was the hardest scene to film?"
     (Dave Prowse) "ummm .. none of them were hard really"
Yeah, top anecdotes there Dave.

Brilliant weekend overall but I've danced my aged spine and joints into oblivion - everything is stiff and painful today!

Jacqusie

Just bought tickets for Half Man Half Biscuit - always wanted to go see them so better find me sparta prague footy shirt...

CalHab

And your Joy Division oven glove.

Bolt-01

Off to see Blondie in November in Brum. Can't wait- the new album is fantastic and a back catalogue of stone-cold classics.

Proudhuff

Jacq, remember to draw in biro on the sole of your slipper before you go...

I'm of this weekend to the Southern Fried Festival in Perth (Northern Hemisphere), Nick Lowe and a host of smaller bands  :D
DDT did a job on me

Jacqusie

Quote from: CalHab on 26 July, 2017, 07:44:39 AM
And your Joy Division oven glove.

Oh yes I must dance, dance, dance... with my Joy Division oven glove  :)

Jacqusie

This is the kit at the weekend in Sheffield Students Union which will be different and gentle.

Managed to score some tickets for The the at the Royal Albert Hall. As they haven't played live for 16 years and on the back of a very crap year, it's some badly needed good news  :)

Colin YNWA

Well not so much upcoming as last night. Saw Shellac of North America in Manchester.

Don't get to many gigs these days but boy do I pick 'um this one was incredible. I mean Shellac are always an absolute treat live but this set list was incredible almost perfect - alas I don't think I've even seem them play Dog and Pony Show, one of my favourites. As ever the banter was first class and it around confirmed that Shellac are one of my, if not my absolute favourite live band.

Stunning.

Jacqusie

I've got a few post gig updates too after ticking off:

Lowtide - Sheffield Greystones

The National - Manchester Apollo (1st time I've seen them & wasn't dissappointed)

Nick Cave - Nottingham Arena (best ever arena gig I've been to)

Suzanne Vega - Manchester Bridgewater Hall (wonderful as always)

Tickets for Slowdive in Manc on Tuesday too, it's always gig time when the students are back at Uni (including myself)  :)

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Jacqusie on 07 October, 2017, 06:42:54 PM

Lowtide - Sheffield Greystones

Suzanne Vega - Manchester Bridgewater Hall (wonderful as always)

I live very close to the Greystones, still never seen a gig there!

On the way to Shellac my good friend Jeff told me about this, asked if I fancied going as I'm a big Vega fan (especially live) when I said yes defo we hurried looked it up to get tickets to find we were about 2 week late. I'm so out of touch!

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 07 October, 2017, 07:11:58 PM
[On the way to Shellac my good friend Jeff

How did Jeff feel about this?!
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Colin YNWA

Oh Jeff's always open to a bit of Shellacing.

Jacqusie

Riding (indeed) the showgaze nu-wave, I caught Ride a few weeks ago, where the audience were much more sedated than when I first saw them 25 years ago. I managed to look at my shoes a few times, but their presence on stage was much more aluring than all those years ago, fabulous stuff!

Upcoming gigs are The Divine Comedy in Manc and The Charlatans in Sheffield.

I'm starting to reel my gig spending in now as I've already booked far too may for next year already!  :)

Si