Main Menu

yoincks! followed closely by bah!

Started by judgefloyd, 20 April, 2013, 11:05:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mardroid

Sorry for repeat posts. In my searches I did come across this page with other people who received the same email as me...

Incidentally the name of th company is actually [deleted], which does not appear in Companies House. The name they go by [deleted], however, does. Biding really know what that means apparent from using name of existing company?

Edited by mod as per request

sheridan

Quote from: Mardroid on 04 September, 2016, 08:42:33 PM
The company is listed with Companies House, but the company no. Provided in the offer email is not the same as the one listed at companies house. I don't know if that means anything though as their number might correspond to a different register.

There are no phone numbers that I can find at Companies House either, but I will do a search elsewhere for an online companies  phone book.
The only possible registers I can thing of are Companies House and the register of the Charity Commission.  If a private company isn't on the register of Companies House then it is not legally allowed to operate in this country.  This applies equally to large companies like the one I work for and small companies set up so that somebody can put on a gig every few months at their local pub.  The number they've given in the email could be a trading company, but I'd be wary. 

Going back to the example of the company I work for - there's one main PLC and a host of other companies within that, including trading arms, manufacturing divisions and the pension scheme (standard practice - held separately so that if the main company goes bust then people still get a pension).  I'll point out here that I work for a respectable company, held in high regard - not one of those that hits the headlines on tax dodges and the like.  There should be some way to connect all the companies though - for instance in my case, the official address of all those companies (about ten in all) is the building next to the one I work in, even though some of the actual places the work is done are in other counties around the country.

sheridan

I'd be wary about including the name of the company in this thread, as the 2000ADonline forum does get covered by google - and I'm guessing they're a Search Engine Optimisation company from their name?

Mardroid

Ah, I'm unable to edit my post. I partly included it as way of warning in case they approach anyone here too, but fair enough.  Mods please feel free to remove the name or delete that post...

sheridan

Quote from: Mardroid on 05 September, 2016, 12:15:27 AM
Ah, I'm unable to edit my post. I partly included it as way of warning in case they approach anyone here too, but fair enough.  Mods please feel free to remove the name or delete that post...
Though from the link posted filled with a host of comments that it was a scam, it doesn't look like a reputable company anyway...

Fungus

It sounds highly dubious. Paying for checks is their responsibilty, not yours. If that is no longer standard practice (I'm no expert) then that's a disgusting state of affairs.

DaveGYNWA

Step away, cease communication with them - it's a scam, 100%. My employers were contacted by them a few weeks back to work on a project (for some reason, they thought we were a web-hosting company) and did a background check on them - conclusion from the check was that they are not registered at all, and the 'Digital SEO' name they use is actually an unrelated India-based company.

I suspect that the end goal with this scam is for you to submit your details to a security check company that they refer you to, and you would then pay that company....and bye bye to the cash.
Peas sell. But who's Brian?

Theblazeuk

Paying for your own security checks has been common for a long while I think. My girlfriend in University, a whole decade ago at this point, certainly paid for her own when she started part time work as a carer.

Mardroid

Quote from: DaveGYNWA on 05 September, 2016, 08:17:40 AM
I suspect that the end goal with this scam is for you to submit your details to a security check company that they refer you to, and you would then pay that company....and bye bye to the cash.

That's what I thought. And they contacted your employers?

Prolific aren't they. There is a company registered under the Digi name at Companies House, but not under the main company name starting with Star.

Never mind I'm starting a 4 week agency  contract tomorrow.  (Coincidentally on the same town.) I just registered at the agency.

Oh and in nature of the thread:

Yoinks: I'm not required until 10:30 first day for induction.
Bah: 8:00 after that. (I know that start time is pretty common. Don't mind me , early mornings aren't my strong suit.)

Theblazeuk

Yoinks! I'm about to go to the American Ambassador's estate for some twaddle celebrity cricket match, which will have free Pimms and food.

Bah! Piers ****ing Morgan is going to be one of the Cricket captains.

I need a shower.

NapalmKev

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 06 September, 2016, 10:01:58 AM
Yoinks! I'm about to go to the American Ambassador's estate for some twaddle celebrity cricket match, which will have free Pimms and food.

I need a shower.

You have a Golden opportunity to see him possibly get hit in the face or groin by a cricket ball! Have fun!

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

sheridan

Quote from: NapalmKev on 06 September, 2016, 11:29:59 AM
Quote from: Theblazeuk on 06 September, 2016, 10:01:58 AM

I need a shower.

You have a Golden opportunity to see him possibly get hit in the face or groin by a cricket ball! Have fun!

Cheers
I saw the words 'golden', 'Piers Morgan' and 'shower' in close proximity and came to totally the wrong conclusion...

Tjm86

Do you really want to work 'Piers Morgan', 'shower' and 'golden' into the same sentence?

I mean, on a scale of 1 to really disturbing!

The Enigmatic Dr X

A company number is its definitive identifier. Names can be changed. Numbers cannot.
Lock up your spoons!

DaveGYNWA

Yoinks: my eldest girl recently decided that she would like to be less fussy about what she eats and has tried hamburger and beefburger in the last few weeks. Loves them.

Bah: today she asked if she could have some of my steak, and liked it. A lot. Get yer own, ya pup!!
Peas sell. But who's Brian?