Main Menu

2000AD Original Art Thread

Started by J3D1, 16 May, 2010, 08:34:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank

Congratulation, Jack, that's beautiful beyond belief. Where do you live, what are your work hours and do you have old wooden sash windows or double glazing? Given the recent discussion of Bolland's missing pages, I'd be interested in reading the story of Cam's pages and their journey back and forth across the Black Atlantic/Black Market.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Judge Jack on 09 February, 2013, 11:32:04 AM
Well, what can you say about Cam's art that hasnt already been said? But genius stuff, and he makes it all look so effortless!

One of the things I find amazing is that if you look at Cam's work across any period of time, the details of his ink style can change dramatically -- sometimes it's all scratchy feathering, sometimes it's detailed cross-hatching -- and yet it's always, always unmistakeably Cam.

I'm hugely envious...!

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Steve Green

I love that he's drawn them just hoovering up the corpses.

Can't wait to see the IDW collection.

ming

Quote from: Judge Jack on 09 February, 2013, 11:32:04 AM
Ming, or malak brood may know this story better than me, but somehow a good chunk of Cam's art ended up in the States, and then promptly went MIA.
But luckily for Cam (and us!) it all turned up again. He has a list available for what he selling, so why not drop him a line.

I 'ad that Cam Kennedy in the back of me cab once...

The story I got from Cam: "On one of my trips over to USA (1989) we were staying in Upper New York state for 6 weeks, as we had  house swopped with Charlie Vess. I had taken a pile of Dredd pages with me to show and maybe sell. During this trip I met up with and befriended Walt Simenson ( Thor's artist). He insisted on giving me about 50 or 60 of his Thor comics, which he duly signed. For the trip home I had to decide whether to leave the Thors or the Dredds. Towards the end of the holiday we were staying with Rick Veitch, Tom's brother and he said that he would look after the Dredd pages. I must admit I had forgotten about them until about 4 months ago when I was talking to Rick after a long absence. Long and short I sent the postage money and he duly sent them back - it was like having children you haven't seen for years returning home!"

That was a couple of years back.  I was lucky enough to get pick of the litter, hence my Warlord cover plus my favourite pages from The Big Sleep and Magnificent Obsession.  Along with examples of Cam's Rogue and VCs work, I'm a very, very lucky fella.

Oh, and (obviously) fantastic stuff, Iain - a real corker!

Frank

Quote from: ming on 09 February, 2013, 12:25:58 PM
The story I got from Cam: "On one of my trips over to USA (1989) we were staying in Upper New York state for 6 weeks, as we had  house swopped with Charlie Vess. I had taken a pile of Dredd pages with me to show and maybe sell. During this trip I met up with and befriended Walt Simenson ( Thor's artist). He insisted on giving me about 50 or 60 of his Thor comics, which he duly signed. For the trip home I had to decide whether to leave the Thors or the Dredds. Towards the end of the holiday we were staying with Rick Veitch, Tom's brother and he said that he would look after the Dredd pages. I must admit I had forgotten about them until about 4 months ago when I was talking to Rick after a long absence. Long and short I sent the postage money and he duly sent them back - it was like having children you haven't seen for years returning home!"

Cheers, ming, that story was much happier than I was expecting. It's nice to hear Cam talking about his art with the a degree of the affection it deservedly attracts here, since he's seemed fairly blasé about his comic work in interviews I've read.

Link Prime

Very nice Baikie & Kennedy pieces Iain....you rob a cash-for-gold lately or what?

Spikes

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 09 February, 2013, 11:48:58 AM
One of the things I find amazing is that if you look at Cam's work across any period of time, the details of his ink style can change dramatically -- sometimes it's all scratchy feathering, sometimes it's detailed cross-hatching -- and yet it's always, always unmistakeably Cam.

I'm hugely envious...!

Cheers

Jim

And looking at it again (i cant put it, or the Skizz page down!), its pretty mindblowing that on the Cam page there isnt a single alteration/correction - or any use of white-out. So a full page pencilled, and inked to perfection.
Mightily impressive work!

Skullmo

I had to take these with a phone camera so they are not the best quality but!

It's always nice to see some original Massimo surely!

It's a joke. I was joking.

Skullmo

Also, here is the final page of Candy and the Catchman (one of my favourite Future Shocks) drawn by the always excellent John Ridgeway:

And a lovely Cliff Robinson PJ Maybe Extreme Edition cover:

opaque

You have a wonderful GBH there :)
And Future Shocks are always amazing to get pieces from as they are so snappy you get so much from them.

Skullmo

Yes definitely - I love the Future Shocks - I would love an Alan Moore one. I am still looking for artwork from Scream if anyone has any of it!

Here is a couple of great Speedo Ghost pages:

ming

Quote from: Skullmo on 10 February, 2013, 05:50:29 PMIt's always nice to see some original Massimo surely!

You're not wrong!

Curiously, I have pages from those exact same episodes (and they're my only Ace Trucking pages)...

Oh - and I love those Speedo Ghost pages - fantastic stuff!

Skullmo

I have some more from these stories - I wonder if we could have a whole episode between us!

ming

Quote from: Skullmo on 10 February, 2013, 06:44:05 PM
I have some more from these stories - I wonder if we could have a whole episode between us!

Close, by the looks of it - hah!  I especially loved that Battle of the Biffos sequence...

And do I spy some McCarthy in the background..?

:)