Main Menu

What's everyone listening to...?

Started by Gonk, 01 February, 2012, 09:53:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 02 June, 2012, 06:20:33 PM
You only wish to watch, you chair-bound homunculus.

Godlepton's actually in a chair? Oh God, sorry Rog ... erm, I think you people are really brave and I take back anything I've said that might be construed as abuse or a hate crime. What Hitler wanted to do to you was bang out of order.

Is the "your're" thing part of your differently-ableness? Because I never found that at all funny.

Beaky Smoochies

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 02 June, 2012, 11:55:54 AM
I have to ask -the devil having the best tunes an' all- surely you lose brownie points with the big man upstairs by listening to someone like Danzig "who feels a connection to Satan".
Or is it strictly Stryper for you these days?

I think He's cool with me listening to Danzig et al - Glenn Danzig's opinions are his own not mine - and I NEVER listened to Stryper, but was always a huge W.A.S.P. fan meself, just listen to either their 1984 eponymous debut album or 1989's magnum opus The Headless Children, my grud, the majesty of it all...
"When the people fear the government there is tyranny, when the government fear the people there is LIBERTY!" - Thomas Jefferson.

"That government is best which governs least" - Thomas Jefferson.

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: Beaky Smoochies on 02 June, 2012, 04:11:19 AM

Most big 1980's metal acts - Maiden, Metallica, Motley Crue (can't speak for the thrash bands, was never into thrash myself, with few exceptions, like the fantastic Annihilator debut album, Alice In Hell, from 1989, one of the greatest speed/thrash albums ever made, I'm not kidding!) - have become little more than cabaret acts of late, touring old sets and playing old albums in their entirety as little more than a nostalgic exercise, which is fine it that's yer thing, but I miss the days when they were actually working bands touring new albums that stretched their boundaries and progressed on what had gone before... or maybe I'm just getting old ::)...

I hate to disagree with you there, but I saw Maiden last year, and about 70% of stuff came from their new album.  It was pretty bloody good too!  Also, looking around the audience, there were three generations of metal fans all going berserk, from about 13 up to 50.  I certainly did not get the impression Maiden were on any kind of nostalgia trip.

As for Monster Magnet, I thought Powertrip was a bit dull to be honest. That's just my opinion though!

Mudcrab

Very true, Maiden never stopped. Neither have any of the Big 4 really. Stopped making good albums maybe but that's a whole other debate. Crue though, you have a point there possibly, I've no idea what they've done since the 80s.

The "playing old abum in its entirety" is a fantastic thing. It was pretty much started by ATP (I think) and has become more popular elsewhere, hence Metallica doing the black album at Donington. First time I saw Melvins was them doing Houdini, which was fantastic to see and they're a band that's never stopped too. It's maybe nostalgia for some (or for the band), but only if you were there the first time round, which is the case with me seeing Slayer doing Reign in Blood (only accounted for half the set), but then that wasn't the main draw of the event for me, that would be to see Yob, Melvins again and Sleep (all old stuff they played which many many people were very happy to see).

Anyway, will update on how good an idea Black Sabbath reforming (without Bill Ward though) is next week! Likewise Soundgarden. At least Chris Cornell can still sing. Oh and if we get tickets for the Saturday I'll see Saxon too  :lol: \m/

I like God Says No  ;)
NEGOTIATION'S OVER!

Beaky Smoochies

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 03 June, 2012, 10:50:36 AM
I hate to disagree with you there, but I saw Maiden last year, and about 70% of stuff came from their new album.  It was pretty bloody good too!

Do you mean the new album is "bloody good" or the gig you attended?  Maiden have always been a top-notch live act, and that hasn't changed, but their post-Seventh Son... output has been patchy to say the least, I never thought Janick Gers' playing style ever suited Maiden, and Bruce Dickinson's solo material post-Maiden was better than anything that band recorded at the same time - The Chemical Wedding was the best album Maiden never made - to tell the truth, I just can't listen to ANY Maiden album from Brave New World (a crushing disappointment) onwards, I dislike Kevin Shirley's production and, to be frank, they've been making the same album since 1990 anyway, just my opinion...
"When the people fear the government there is tyranny, when the government fear the people there is LIBERTY!" - Thomas Jefferson.

shaolin_monkey

Yeah, I agree with you re 'Seventh Son' being their last great album.  Every album after that has one or two great tracks (I have a huge soft spot for Holy Smoke) but otherwise fell short.

Re the gig, it was a fantastic gig, even though I'm not enamoured by their latest studio offering.  That said, whether you agree it is good or not, you can't say Maiden are relying solely on nostalgia, which was my original point.  Like it or not, they keep doing new albums, and keep playing their new stuff live. 

While I am firmly in the 'Live After Death' camp, plenty of fans at the gig, young and old, seemed to very much enjoy their new offerings.

Diminished Responsibility

Currently listening to Prong - Carved in Stone

also

Orange Goblin - A Eulogy for the Damned

Do like my metal :)
"DANGER! DO NOT TOUCH THESE MONSTROUSLY HAZARDOUS CITRUS FRUITS, MAN!"

I, Cosh

Pixies acoustic set from the Newport Folk Festival on Sky Arts. It's excruciating. They're currently ruining River Euphrates, long one of my favourites.
We never really die.

Frank

Quote from: The Cosh on 05 June, 2012, 10:34:49 PM
Pixies acoustic set from the Newport Folk Festival on Sky Arts. It's excruciating. They're currently ruining River Euphrates, long one of my favourites.

Pixies are owed such a huge psychic debt by everyone who plays or enjoys music that I can't blame them for accepting payment in cash terms. Like The Velvet Underground before them, they're only realising the profits from all the albums they should have sold first time round.

Having said that, I've no intention of ever seeing them live and endangering my conviction that Kim Deal is the coolest woman ever to live. Serves ye right for having Sky!

Buttonman

I, Cosh

Oh, I don't have a problem with them chasing some filthy lucre. In fact, the first time I saw them following the reformation they were far better live than they ever were the first time round. No, it's the acoustic part of this which was the problem. Some band's can carry off the MTV Unplugged thing, others can't. This was the latter.

In my defence, I don't have real Sky, just Virgin Cable which includes the rather good Sky Arts channels.
We never really die.

Frank

Quote from: The Cosh on 05 June, 2012, 11:27:11 PM
the first time I saw them following the reformation they were far better live than they ever were the first time round

You saw Pixies in their pomp? Jealous. I think I was into Silver Bullet and Double Trouble and the Rebel MC at the time. 

Quote... In my defence, I don't have real Sky, just Virgin Cable which includes the rather good Sky Arts channels.

Richard Branson/Rupert Murdoch, which do I give my money to? Shit in my mouth or in my eye, which is the least objectionable?

JOE SOAP

A mate of mine got-off with Kim Deal after a gig in Dublin about 20 years ago.

Beaky Smoochies

Quote from: Mudcrab on 04 June, 2012, 04:12:38 PM
Very true, Maiden never stopped. Neither have any of the Big 4 really. Stopped making good albums maybe but that's a whole other debate. Crue though, you have a point there possibly, I've no idea what they've done since the 80s.
Anyway, will update on how good an idea Black Sabbath reforming (without Bill Ward though) is next week!

I was never a big Motley Crue fan, but the eponymous album they made with John Corabi (the only Crue album I own) back in 1994 was nothing short of stellar, heavy as hell, and remarkably mature, it was one of the best rock/metal albums of the last few decades, it was THAT good, a real shame neither the record company nor the audience at large gave them any real support on it, effectively forcing them to fire Corabi and bring back Vince Neil... after that, it is was all over for me regarding the Crue...

Why is Bill Ward not in the Sabbath reunion, they haven't set him on fire again, have they...?

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Beaky Smoochies on 06 June, 2012, 02:19:15 AM

Why is Bill Ward not in the Sabbath reunion, they haven't set him on fire again, have they...?

'They' wouldn't agree to give him an equal contract with the other 3.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2012/may/16/bill-ward-black-sabbath-reunion