Main Menu

ACCIDENT MAN - Film Review

Started by Bad City Blue, 31 January, 2018, 04:35:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JamesC

I certainly think the artist should be credited in the film review.

I completely take your point that all artists contribute to the development of a character/strip/world but it's usually only one artist that gets the creator credit. It's Judge Dredd - created by Wagner/Ezquerra (sometimes Mills too), not Wagner, Ezquerra, McMahon, Smith, Bolland, Dillon, Kennedy, Gibson etc. No one would dispute that all of those artists contribute to the Dredd we know today though.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: JamesC on 01 February, 2018, 12:04:57 PM
No one would dispute that all of those artists contribute to the Dredd we know today though.

Contributed ≠ created. I think it's pretty hard to argue that the character of Wolverine owes less to, say, Byrne and Claremont, than it does to Wein and Trimpe, but Wein and Trimpe are the creators. That's how it works...
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Smith

To be fair here,its a movie review,mentioning its origin as a comic and official creators is enough for the occasion.Who should have been credited is a different story.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Smith on 01 February, 2018, 12:21:56 PM
To be fair here,its a movie review,mentioning its origin as a comic and official creators is enough for the occasion.Who should have been credited is a different story.

To be clear, I'm not having a pop at Bad City Blue here. I only mentioned it because I assumed that as co-creator of the strip, Emond would be credited as such.

I'm disappointed (but not entirely surprised) to learn that this isn't the case. It's particularly disappointing, given that the entire point of Toxic was to give better creator ownership deals than 2000AD was offering at the time.

rogue69

From what I can remember Pat Mills saying about this is that he does say that Martin Emond is the art creator, but he is not a co creator as most of the story was fully laid down by Pat & Tony & Martin was hired by Toxic to do the artwork so in he same vain that many of the original Marvel artists are not credited as creators as they were hired to draw the story

TordelBack

I am dying to see these comics that have been created without an artist. They sound amazing,  but how do they look?

No offence to those taking a different view here,  but the whole idea is absurd to me.

Anyway,  rather looking forward to Accident Man the movie,  another good review there BCB.

GordonR

Quote from: rogue69 on 01 February, 2018, 10:18:25 PM
From what I can remember Pat Mills saying about this is that he does say that Martin Emond is the art creator, but he is not a co creator as most of the story was fully laid down by Pat & Tony & Martin was hired by Toxic to do the artwork so in he same vain that many of the original Marvel artists are not credited as creators as they were hired to draw the story

Well, that just makes perfect sense, I'm sure we'll all agree.

No need to bother with the last  3O years of blood, sweat and tears of fighting for creator rights in comics, then.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: rogue69 on 01 February, 2018, 10:18:25 PM
Martin was hired by Toxic to do the artwork so in he same vain that many of the original Marvel artists are not credited as creators as they were hired to draw the story

That would seem to me to be the exact opposite of the reason that Toxic was set up, and antithetical to everything Mills has banged on about with respect to creators' rights for the last god-knows-how-many years.

Bad City Blue

Fuck me, I go away for 2 days and this happens.

" One of the undisputed highlights was Accident Man, created by writers Pat Mills and Tony Skinner in tandem (visually brought to life by Martin Edmund and later Duke Mighten)"

There. Happy now?

If not, bollocks to ya
Writer of SENTINEL, the best little indie out there

Richard

You only have to compare this with what Pat says about creators' rights in his autobiography to realise how outrageous this is.

Bad City Blue

He's on Facebook - ask him about it.

pauljholden

Quote from: Bad City Blue on 03 February, 2018, 10:46:17 AM
Fuck me, I go away for 2 days and this happens.

" One of the undisputed highlights was Accident Man, created by writers Pat Mills and Tony Skinner in tandem (visually brought to life by Martin Edmund and later Duke Mighten)"

There. Happy now?

If not, bollocks to ya

That's the spirit!

JLC

20 minutes in. Does it get any better because at the moment it is an awful attempt to ape early Guy Ritchie with a stunt man trying to do an impression of Jason Statham. So much cringy voice-over.

dweezil2

Quote from: JLC on 07 February, 2018, 08:19:34 PM
20 minutes in. Does it get any better because at the moment it is an awful attempt to ape early Guy Ritchie with a stunt man trying to do an impression of Jason Statham. So much cringy voice-over.

Shut it, you slaaaaaaag!!!  ;)
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Bad City Blue

Quote from: JLC on 07 February, 2018, 08:19:34 PM

maybe it helps to be a fan of the comic. The voice over apes the narration in it