Main Menu

Old Fan/New Starter

Started by Deboh, 14 August, 2010, 02:11:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deboh

Used to be well into 2000 AD (was a big fan of NWA & Public Enemy @ the same time so this gives you a timew frame) and have found my interest pickingh up again recently. so I have 2 questions....
1. where do i begin again after all these years
2. I live in australia now so whats my best option (download, postal etc)

????????????????????????????????????????

Emperor

Welcome back - you won't regret it.

To answer your question:

1. Tricky as it depends on what you like. The simplest way would be catch up through trade paperback collections that catch your interest (Nikolai Dante, Defoe, Stickleback, Dredd, Kingdom, Leviathan, Lobster Random, ABC Warriors, etc.) and then try and get your hands on back issues going back to one of the jumping on points (each end of year special, Prog 2009, Prog 2010, etc. is designed that way and so was 1650, which was the start of the last Dredd epic "Tour of Duty", there is also a trade on its way that picks up stories that led up to it, so this seems like a good idea).

2. It may be hanging round on here and staking out ebay.co.uk you could pick up the relevant issues in a bundle - if you can get them cheap then the postage shouldn't make this an outrageous option. However, it might just be simpler to just get them all from Clickwheel. Compare the prices, see how urgently you want then and consider what format you'd want them in (if it is paper and you can afford to wait then you might want to stump up the extra cash). However, there folks from Down Under here and they might have other suggestions.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

SmallBlueThing

Welcome back, lapsed-squaxx, enjoy your stay.

Now then, it occurs to me that were i faced with great swathes of proggage to accumulate, i might (if i just loved the whole of the comic and wasn't merely obsessive over a single strip), take advantage of the downloadable digital progs available through this very site. I might, for example, set aside fifteen quid and download the last ten.
Despite being stubbornly defensive of paper for the best and only comics experience, i did give the freebie prog 1650 a go via Facebook in pdf format, and found it a much better experience than i would previously have thought.
Whatever you decide to do, DON'T STOP BUYING AGAIN! It's silly, and you only end up buying them all in the end anyway.
SBT

Colin YNWA

I'm not sure how the situation will compare in Australia but when I got back on the H-wagon a few years ago I hit eBay hard as the back Progs are out there and cheap. That said if being on an island big on sport and sunshine creates a terrible prog shortage then move... I mean digital seems to be the way to go these days.

Either way welcome aboard and have fun.