Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Good news everyone!  (Read 5397 times)

Bad Andy

• Posting Machine
    • View Profile
Re: Good news everyone!
« Reply #15 on: 09 June, 2009, 10:38:23 AM »
I'd given up on this after seeing the release list in the latest Big Finish magazine Vortex not showing the slightest mention of Mr Dredd.

However Bish-Op turns up on the forums and directs people here - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Judge-Dredd-Str ... 214&sr=1-1
So it seems it might be back on.  :D

There is currently a summer sale at Big Finish. £14 for 6 2000ad stories. http://www.bigfinish.com/SPECIAL-OFFER- ... CD-Special
A good jumping in point if anyone was curious.

Death Trap
Dredd's greatest enemy is Judge Death, an alien superfiend from another dimension who believes that all life is a crime… and the sentence must be death! Twelve years ago, Death and his dark acolytes slaughtered more than 60 million citizens. Now, Death is held captive in Iso-Block 99, an apparently inescapable prison - but a terrorist group are threatening to break him out. If they succeed, the consequences for Mega-City One are too terrifying to contemplate…
 Judges Joe Dredd and Amy Steel race against time to stop the alien superfiend's plan to turn the Big Meg into a city of the dead!

I think it suffers a bit from Death being shoe-horned into an audio. I'm not totally convinced the character works, but that may be more down to Mark Gatiss' interpretation. Not bad, but not the worst by any means. My score - 6/10

Strontium Dog - Down to Earth
Times are tough for the Search/Destroy agents. With criminals in short supply, the bounty hunters compete for the left-overs. Johnny and his partner Wulf Sternhammer are down on their luck, and looking for trouble.
Sick Squid doesn't follow the bounty hunters' code. He looks after number one, even if it means ratting on a friend. When a private citizen posts a huge reward for the capture of Wulf Sternhammer, Squid turns kidnapper.
Johnny must find Squid before the trail goes cold. If he wants to save Wulf, he's going to have to break the law. He must risk his freedom… face his past… go back down to Earth!
Fucking hilarious. Simon Pegg as Johnny is surprisingly effective. 9/10

The Big Shot
For decades Brit Cit's Quentin Quail has been a legend among Tri-D film-makers. Reclusive, self-obsessed, a perfectionist - Quail is an award-winning auteur… and very probably one of the most annoying men alive. Now he is coming to Mega-City One for a retrospective of his work at the Museum of Post-Modern Art.
Reluctantly accepting his assignment as VIP bodyguard, Judge Dredd finds his diplomatic skills tested to the limit. While protecting Quail, Dredd and Judge Amy Steel must track down a shadowy assassin whose deadly intentions threaten to strike at the very heart of the Big Meg's Justice Department. But their task proves almost impossible when the target refuses to acknowledge the threat and it emerges that the assassin may have a hidden agenda.
The bullets are soon flying, and Judge Dredd must decide which way to shoot…
Nice little whodunnit. 7/10

Get Karter
Judge Dredd is heading for Brit-Cit on a revenge trip, after crime boss Harry Karter sent the assassin Erebus to murder Mega-City One's toughest lawman. A precog said Dredd would cause problems for Karter in the future - now Dredd wants to make that prophecy come true!
Judge Amy Steel also has a score to settle with Karter. She believes he is responsible for the murder of her father thirteen years ago - but she could never prove it. Soon after Karter married Steel's mother. Amy joined the Judges to escape her step-father and later transferred to Mega-City One. Now the young judge is returning home to confront her step-father.Steel wants to find proof that Karter killed her real father and she will stop at nothing to get the evidence.
Dredd and Steel share a common goal - to get Karter!
Real downer on the ending here. 7/10

I Love Judge Dredd
"I Love Judge Dredd - a bonanza celebration of Mega-City One’s premier lawman! Join your host, TV’s Tark Pastry as he accompanies Dredd on two eventful and action-packed days in the Big Meg. Gain an intimate, never-before-seen insight into the man behind the helmet. Discover what really makes Dredd tick.
"I Love Judge Dredd also features contributions from civil rights campaigner Pert Mitchell, former gameshow host Brucie Squires, mineral water magnate Frisco Lambada and hardened criminal mastermind Harry ‘The Hat’ McGuiness, plus special cameo appearances from pop sensations the Grim Utter Death and Radish Timberlake, leader of the revolutionary collective known only as the ‘Karma Vigilantes’.
"Plus, of course, our very special guest, ‘Ol’ Stony Face' himself! The one, the only… Judge Dredd!"
Another hilarious audio, with good performances all round. 8.5/10

Strontium Dog - Fire from Heaven
Cowering in fear of the Devastator death-god, the simple folk of the desert planet Muspel worship a prophet who fell from the sky. He prepares them for the final battle, predicting that the Devastator will send terrifying agents of destruction… the Strontium Gods!
But high-priest "Omega" is really fugitive conman Oswald Mega, ready to resist arrest with an army of fanatical followers. The Devastator's power is merely the side-effect of a terraforming project by Muspel's sister-planet Midgard. And the four horsemen of the apocalypse are a Viking on vacation, a Scot with a lumpy chip on his shoulder, a small white furry thing… and Johnny Alpha.
The Search/Destroy agents have just 24 hours to find Omega before the reward is open to all-comers. But the trail goes cold on Midgard, and time is running out. It's Alpha versus Omega… with Floods, Famine, and Fire from Heaven!
To my mind possibly the best 2000ad audio. Funny as anything with a great storyline and wonderful ensemble acting. Worth the £14 alone. 10/10

Floyd-the-k

• Bionic Fingers
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 18 June, 2009, 03:11:54 PM »
having just finished relistening to the 2000ad audio dramas on my steam powered ipod thing, I'm in the 'this is a good thing if true' camp.  They're all more fun than I remember and some are brilliant.  Mind you, I can't get excited about Slaine audio dramas.

Bad Andy

• Posting Machine
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 22 June, 2009, 05:31:31 PM »
It's been confirmed by Big Finish - albeit not in the same format as the original full cast productions.

Judge Dredd: The Crime Chronicles
Four new Dredd 'talking books' will be available from October with Toby Longworth reprising the role of Dredd. There will also be some surprise guests, so that could mean anything format wise.

Dash Decent

• Battle Hardened War Robot
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 11 July, 2009, 02:43:45 PM »
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

DavidXBrunt

• Bionic Fingers
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 13 July, 2009, 12:24:11 PM »
Big Finish makes a long-awaited return to the 2000 AD universe in October for a brand new series of adventures in crime and space. Judge Dredd: Crime Chronicles finds the iconic lawman of Mega City One starring in four new stories where he faces off against foes old and new and, for the final story, partners up with a fellow Judge played by Doctor Who’s Louise Jameson. Officially licensed by Rebellion, who publish 2000 AD and The Judge Dredd Megazine, each story is a dramatic reading, with full sound design and a specially drawn cover by 2000 AD artist Cliff Robinson, and features Toby Longworth as Judge Dredd. John Ainsworth is thrilled, saying: ‘As producer of the first eighteen 2000 AD audio dramas for Big Finish, I am delighted to return to the series with these four new productions and to once again work with Toby Longworth, who is the perfect Judge Dredd'.

The series begins with Stranger Than Truth by David Bishop and told by Brit-Cit academic, Eliza Blunt (Helen Kay). Captured and imprisoned by Judge Dredd, author Truman Kaput has spent years in the Mega City One iso-cubes, his work banned. His crime: writing lurid detective novels in which the ficticious Slick Dickens repeatedly outwits the cowardly bully, Judge Dredd. Now a new Truman Kaput novel is being serialised, and each chapter predicts an imminent murder with chilling accuracy. Has Slick Dickens escaped the page to commit real crimes in Mega City One? Is a serial killer using the chapters as templates for their crime? Where does fiction end and the truth start? Can Dredd stop the plot before his nemesis fulfils the finale of Slick Dickens: I Killed Judge Dredd?

In Blood Will Tell by James Swallow, a frenzied mutant attack on Mega City One's shield wall is revealed to be the cover for a group of infiltrators, Judge Dredd tells the story of how was forced to face a deadly opponent from his past: Garris Hale, a man whose life he destroyed. Back from exile in the radioactive wilderness of the Cursed Earth, Hale has possession of a dark secret – a secret so explosive that it could plunge the entire city into anarchy and chaos! With his judgement in question and the future of his city in the balance, Dredd must face a lethal enemy intent on revenge at any cost!

The third tale, The Devil’s Playground by Jonathan Clements, is narrated by Wendy Plainfolk (Gemma Wardle) and finds Judge Dredd hunting a killer on the loose, his only lead a girl who's never seen the sky or the streets. Raised in a religious commune, locked in a closed farming habitat in the heart of the city, Wendy Plainfolk knows nothing of the temptations and dangers of Dredd's world. But she is the only link to a double homicide in a place she calls the Devil's Playground: Mega City One.

Finally, much-loved Doctor Who alumnus Louise Jameson (Leela) narrates Double Zero in the guise of Judge Anderson. On the Mills-Wagner scale of psychic potentiality, the Double Zero rating is ranked as the lowest possible level of human telepathic receptability and/or psionic ability. [See also: mind-blind; mundane; pariah effect, brain burn]. When a strange premonition draws Psi-Judge Cassandra Anderson to her fellow law officer, Joe Dredd, what begins as an inkling of something sinister soon becomes a matter of life and death. With telepathic secret agents from a dozen city-states infiltrating the Big Meg in search of a psychic weapon called 'the pariah', Anderson and Dredd find themselves in a race against time to save the life of an innocent child – with the power to start a war.

The Judge Dredd: Crime Chronicles begin in October and are released monthly until January, priced £9.99 per CD and £7.99 for an MP3 download. You can pre-order them here.

DavidXBrunt

• Bionic Fingers
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 13 July, 2009, 12:26:47 PM »
See that? Leela is Anderson Psi...

DavidXBrunt

• Bionic Fingers
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 13 July, 2009, 12:30:02 PM »
---

Bad Andy

• Posting Machine
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 14 July, 2009, 08:33:12 AM »

Very appealing  - as long as she doesn't get mauled by a giant rat.

I've never heard any of the Companion Chronicle Doctor Who plays, so not quite sure what the format is for these. Still tempted to pre-order them though, especially as Toby Longworth is to be involved.

Trout

• CALL-ME-KENNETH!
  • "Because I hate you."
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 14 July, 2009, 09:06:03 AM »
I love doing this when people get all horny for Leela...

Bad Andy

• Posting Machine
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 14 July, 2009, 10:27:25 AM »
I love doing this when people get all horny for Leela...

Strange - I can't see the picture. I'd still have a go now to be fair. She's aged better than Nyssa has.

Spoilsport Trouty.

Toni Scandella

• Sentient Tea Bot
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 18 July, 2009, 07:00:58 PM »
I am glad there is a cheaper download option - these will go straight onto the ipod for chilling out in the dark listening pleasure, like all the others - but this time, no need to store CD's or pay p&p or even wait for delivery...